Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Famous Chefs

Famous Chefs
I am still heartbroken that Anthony Bourdain is gone. He was the only chef whose programs I loved to watch regularly. He didn't just travel the world sampling all sorts of different foods and explaining cultures in the process, he also visited cultural enclaves in the US and ate there. Wherever he went, he seemed to relate to the people on a very human level, and he had an astute understanding of their way of life. And he was a great story teller.

[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 4 users Like Dom's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, brewerb, evenheathen, GenesisNemesis

Famous Chefs
I was aware of who he was but didn't know much about him (I don't/can't cook) but he seems to have had a very profound positive impact on a lot of people. Different circumstances of course, but reminds me a bit of Steve Irwin.

Famous Chefs
(11-28-2019, 11:03 PM)Dom Wrote: I am still heartbroken that Anthony Bourdain is gone. He was the only chef whose programs I loved to watch regularly. He didn't just travel the world sampling all sorts of different foods and explaining cultures in the process, he also visited cultural enclaves in the US and ate there. Wherever he went, he seemed to relate to the people on a very human level, and he had an astute understanding of their way of life. And he was a great story teller.

My father-in-law spent an afternoon with Anthony Bourdain.  My  father-in-law  (Jim)  used to be an official BBQ test taster and had blog online with his recommendations for all the best BBQ places covering South and North Carolina.   I guess Bourdain got in touch with Jim and he took him to sample some Carolina BBQ   Jim said he was a really nice, down to earth guy.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dom

Famous Chefs
@Dom, you watching the CNN series tonight?

I grew up watching Julia Child. It's a wonder that I cook at all.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Dom

Famous Chefs
[Image: 220px-The_Swedish_Chef.jpg]
The following 5 users Like no one's post:
  • jerry mcmasters, Dancefortwo, brewerb, Fireball, Deesse23

Famous Chefs
[Image: 220px-Sitting_Bull_by_Goff%2C_1881.png]

Oh.  You said C-h-e-f-s.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Deesse23, Dom

Famous Chefs
(11-29-2019, 02:11 AM)brewerb Wrote: @Dom, you watching the CNN series tonight?

I caught part of it. That's what prompted me to make this post.

I have always been fascinated with different cultures and different ways of living. Tony had a great way of communicating what life was like in other places.

As far as Julia Child goes - she broke into a completely male dominated field. There were no female chefs until Julia. So, there is that.

Famous Chefs
(11-29-2019, 11:38 AM)Dom Wrote:
(11-29-2019, 02:11 AM)brewerb Wrote: @Dom, you watching the CNN series tonight?

I caught part of it. That's what prompted me to make this post.

I have always been fascinated with different cultures and different ways of living. Tony had a great way of communicating what life was like in other places.

I saw it coming up and DVR'ed 7 of them for later. The wife and I like him also.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Dom

Famous Chefs
Actually, I never liked the guy.  He was just an adventurer.  I prefer people who explain how cooking actually works and why.  Like Alton Brown.

I also liked Julia Childs, Jacques Pepin, and Rachel Ray. For cooking entertainment, I liked Graham Kerr, before he went all sober...
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

Famous Chefs
(11-29-2019, 11:50 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Actually, I never liked the guy.  He was just an adventurer.  I prefer people who explain how cooking actually works and why.  Like Alton Brown.

That's a whole different genre, and of course a good thing too. Bourdain wrote cookbooks also, and has many cool recipes, but that is not what most of his shows focused on, he focused on the cultural environment producing these foods. 

There are many other aspects to food. I plan to be looking for someone who specializes in period cooking - food as it evolved through history. That would be interesting also.

Personally, I don't follow recipes, so shows that just mention ingredients are fine by me. But, cooking and food is a personal thing.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Cavebear

Famous Chefs
(11-29-2019, 12:00 PM)Dom Wrote:
(11-29-2019, 11:50 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Actually, I never liked the guy.  He was just an adventurer.  I prefer people who explain how cooking actually works and why.  Like Alton Brown.

That's a whole different genre, and of course a good thing too. Bourdain wrote cookbooks also, and has many cool recipes, but that is not what most of his shows focused on, he focused on the cultural environment producing these foods. 

There are many other aspects to food. I plan to be looking for someone who specializes in period cooking - food as it evolved through history. That would be interesting also.

Personally, I don't follow recipes, so shows that just mention ingredients are fine by me. But, cooking and food is a personal thing.

I agree that basic ideas are good. I follow recipes for bread and cookies, but elsewise, all is mostly a suggestion. I most often look at my cookbooks to see, hmmm, "cloves", that sounds good.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • Dom