Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terminally-ill scientist is about to 'transform' into world's first full cyborg

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/terminally...s-20559021

Quote: A terminally-ill scientist who is dying from a muscle wasting disease has taken the final steps to become the world's first full cyborg .
Dr Peter Scott-Morgan, 61, was diagnosed with motor neurone disease two years ago, but instead of accepting his fate he decided to challenge what it meant to be human.

He said he wanted to push the boundaries of what science can achieve so decided to extend his life and become fully robotic - known as Peter 2.0.
The world-renowned roboticist has already undergone a series of incredibly complex and risky operations during his journey. This has included developing a remarkably life-like avatar of his face before he lost any muscle.

Learned about this guy on the SGU podcast. Pretty interesting. If you were in his position, would you do this?
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Jenny, Paleophyte

Finally, Deus Ex is coming.

As for the question it depends on what cyborgization would offer to me. I don't see becoming one to escape death but improving my body - and mind if possible - for years that remain for me would be a nice thing.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

I would just get the finest heroin and drift off.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, brewerb

(11-24-2019, 09:42 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/terminally...s-20559021

Quote: A terminally-ill scientist who is dying from a muscle wasting disease has taken the final steps to become the world's first full cyborg .
Dr Peter Scott-Morgan, 61, was diagnosed with motor neurone disease two years ago, but instead of accepting his fate he decided to challenge what it meant to be human.

He said he wanted to push the boundaries of what science can achieve so decided to extend his life and become fully robotic - known as Peter 2.0.
The world-renowned roboticist has already undergone a series of incredibly complex and risky operations during his journey. This has included developing a remarkably life-like avatar of his face before he lost any muscle.

Learned about this guy on the SGU podcast. Pretty interesting. If you were in his position, would you do this?

Very good question. I really don't know. Not something I'm able to able to consider hypothetically. Too many variables  

I also have no idea of how much can be done . IE exactly what  will become robotic? What senses will he have left?   Sight? hearing? smell? touch?  Do they have any idea of the psychological effects of the transformation? Will he still be legally human? 

I wasn't aware robotics had reached that level. Or is it  just  a desperate man grasping at for a solution to his ghastly disease?
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

I just happened to read about ALS this evening, and it seems to be a terrible disease, possibly the worst you can imagine. It cant be cured and most people will die within a few years (with Stephen Hawking being an exception). It paralyses all your muslces to the point where you cant swallow or breathe by yourself, causing pneumonia from resulting complications, and then you simply die.

Truly horrible.
cetero censeo religionem esse delendam 
The following 2 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

(11-24-2019, 09:42 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/terminally...s-20559021

Yeah sure.  Being a cyborg sounds like never ending happiness of joyous existence. Blinksmiley
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(11-24-2019, 10:21 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

Yeah sure.  Being a cyborg sounds like never ending happiness of joyous existence. Blinksmiley

Well it might be depending on whether or not we get happiness-inducing brain implants. Tongue

At age 61, nope, wouldn't do it.

What the hell is the obsession of living forever? I just don't get it.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 3 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, GenesisNemesis, mordant

(11-24-2019, 11:26 PM)brewerb Wrote: At age 61, nope, wouldn't do it.

I don't see it that way. Being a world-renowned roboticist, he is just continuing to work, and he's making sacrifices that frankly no one else would want to do, to further the research. There is certainly a component of extending his life, but I see some altruism too.
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(11-24-2019, 11:39 PM)skyking Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 11:26 PM)brewerb Wrote: At age 61, nope, wouldn't do it.

I don't see it that way. Being a world-renowned roboticist, he is just continuing to work, and he's making sacrifices that frankly no one else would want to do, to further the research. There is certainly a component of extending his life, but I see some altruism too.

If it produces cost effective tech applicable to younger victims, good for him.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Paleophyte

I wouldn't do it. The period at the end of the sentence helps give the sentence meaning, too. (Or maybe it's a question-mark or exclamation point, if you're lucky.)
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, mordant

That's what everyone is hoping, I think.
I see applications for space exploration and colonization, remote interfaces that will help us clean up the nuclear wastes more effectively and safely, etc.
The following 1 user Likes skyking's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(11-24-2019, 10:21 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Being a cyborg sounds like never ending happiness of joyous existence.

Sounds like what Christians look forward to in heaven.  Robots for Jesus.   Dunno
No gods necessary
The following 1 user Likes brunumb's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(11-24-2019, 10:21 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

The older I get the less I understand the desire to live indefinitely . I have concluded that the human organism  prepares itself for death, as  the production of various chemicals and hormones slows down .

I suspect that notion may be blown out the  water  by the number of geriatric farts who would really love to live forever. Me?  Perhaps  if I could be physically around 40. But over 70? Not on your nelly. Right now I'm hoping for up to another ten good years . 

Of course I'm afraid of dying. I think all mammals are, it's instinctive. Not afraid of being dead because  I'm reasonably  sure it's not  it's not an experience. 

Have felt a lot better  about the uncertainty of death  since I discovered it was Christians  who invented the idea of an eternal hell.  Thumbs Up
The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, skyking