Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you "treat yourself"?

(12-11-2019, 06:30 PM)Dom Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 06:16 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 05:51 PM)Dom Wrote: That's funny, I take a periodic relaxing stroll in a digitalized forest, very realistic and detailed, and look for mushrooms and take pics of the wildlife that crosses my path. This is something I loved to do in my youth, but my old body won't let me anymore. I can smoke some weed and play that game on a big screen and it's just like I am there.

Don't knock games, we have seen nothing yet when it comes to the usefulness. The therapeutic possibilities are endless, from learning disabilities to phobias to Alzheimers, and in many other areas, games can be developed to be extremely useful. This is still in it's infancy because it's mostly a labor of love by developers at this point, but I am pretty sure the medical community will pick up on this possibility of immense usefulness eventually.

I think they're addictive.  People are living in digital bubbles.  There is no man made pixil that will replace contact with another human being.  The touch and physical interaction between humans is how we evolved and how we have lived for millions of years and suddenly we're seperate from each other and suffering because of it.  

I'm terrified of flying and tried the virtural flying thing.  It did nothing.  Why?  Because I knew it wasn't real.

Well, that occasional walk in the woods does wonders for me. An odd mix of stimulation and relaxation, and it is peaceful and serene and it brings my childhood back alive, I remember some fun things I had long forgotten. I also do some good thinking while roaming those woods....and it's not addictive, I don't want to walk in the woods all the time, but it's great for clearing my head once in a while.

Good for you. But for me sitting in chair and looking a pixels does nothing for me because I know it's fake.  I've never had the slightest interest in hallucinogenics either.  I just don't understand why people want or need to pop spotted mushrooms.  Why don't people use their own natural imaginations.  I've never smoked marijuana either.    Also, I guess I'm lucky and have great genes.  My father was physically active and able to walk a mile a day when he was 90 years old.  He died when he was 94.  I take after my father in many ways, in a happy accident of genetics.
                                                         T4618

(12-11-2019, 07:31 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 06:30 PM)Dom Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 06:16 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I think they're addictive.  People are living in digital bubbles.  There is no man made pixil that will replace contact with another human being.  The touch and physical interaction between humans is how we evolved and how we have lived for millions of years and suddenly we're seperate from each other and suffering because of it.  

I'm terrified of flying and tried the virtural flying thing.  It did nothing.  Why?  Because I knew it wasn't real.

Well, that occasional walk in the woods does wonders for me. An odd mix of stimulation and relaxation, and it is peaceful and serene and it brings my childhood back alive, I remember some fun things I had long forgotten. I also do some good thinking while roaming those woods....and it's not addictive, I don't want to walk in the woods all the time, but it's great for clearing my head once in a while.

Good for you. But for me sitting in chair and looking a pixels does nothing for me because I know it's fake.  I've never had the slightest interest in hallucinogenics either.  I just don't understand why people want or need to pop spotted mushrooms.  Why don't people use their own natural imaginations.  I've never smoked marijuana either.    Also, I guess I'm lucky and have great genes.  My father was physically active and able to walk a mile a day when he was 90 years old.  He died when he was 94.  I take after my father in many ways, in a happy accident of genetics.

Weed is not a hallucinogenic, I know what "mushrooms" are, but I have no idea what spotted mushrooms are. 

Yes, you are very lucky to have the body you have. And the mind and the choices. Not all of us do.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

Good food, good chocolate, internet shopping.  And opioids*. Big Grin 

* I suffer with chronic pain and generally treat it with diet, exercise, and prescription-strength ibuprofen, but when I need a real break, out come the prescription opioids/opiates.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

How do I treat myself? With this stuff

[Image: radithor1.jpg]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(12-11-2019, 08:12 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: How do I treat myself? With this stuff

[Image: radithor1.jpg]

You might want to try the homeopathic version. Big Grin
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

One of those rare occasions...
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

edit can't get pics big enough