Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you could only have one holiday decoration...

What would it be? Can be for any holiday, but you only get one decoration only.  For me I'd choose Christmas lights.
The following 5 users Like Jenny's post:
  • Joods, Tres Leches, adey67, jerry mcmasters, TristanJ

(11-22-2019, 10:36 PM)Jenny Wrote: What would it be? Can be for any holiday, but you only get one decoration only.  For me I'd choose Christmas lights.

As it turns out, I have only one holiday decoration. I bought it last week. it's for my sis who is coming for Xmas lunch. She loves Xmas, even puts light, light show,  outside of her house. 

The decoration:  it's 30 cm led xmas tree (it flashes) 

[Image: 20191123-100730.jpg]
The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • Jenny, Tres Leches

[Image: source.gif]
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 3 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Jenny, Fireball, Tres Leches

Halle Berry, perched atop my tree. [Image: Thumbs%20Up.png]
The following 5 users Like no one's post:
  • Jenny, Thumpalumpacus, Fireball, grympy, OakTree500

If I had to reduce it down to the bare minimum it'd probably be a wreath on the door.  These go back to Pagan times, as far as I know.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Jenny, SYZ

Lights would be it for me too. I’d leave them up year round.
      Christianity: 
God meddles in the affairs of humans in a small part the Earth for 1500 years, giving one tribal society rules to live by.
He stops all direct contact for the next 2,000 years, leaving us with a metaphorical set of instructions.
The following 3 users Like Joods's post:
  • Jenny, Vivian Darkbloom, Tres Leches

A noble fir, with the only decorations being a trail of white lights around the trunk, so it's lit from inside.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Jenny, Tres Leches

[Image: festivus-pole.jpg]

"Very high strength-to-weight ratio."
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Jenny, brewerb

(11-23-2019, 12:06 AM)no one Wrote: Halle Berry, perched atop my tree. [Image: Thumbs%20Up.png]

Wait your turn, Bub!  Big Grin

Also, brewerb never fails to disappoint!  Thumbs Up

Anything that involves my personal expenditure of time or money is a decoration I don't want. Humbug!  Tongue
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Jenny, brewerb

This

[Image: 46825524-77c2-4185-93c6-03a59ac75fb0-lar...5801205010]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

Candles. In the cold dead of winter I love seeing candles, even just one. It makes the world seem not quite so cold and dark.

Christmas lights would come in a close second.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 2 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Alan V, Jenny

Yeah, candles.  Thumbs Up

[Image: Xmas%20lights%2002.jpg]

And tree lights, too.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • Jenny, Tres Leches

(11-23-2019, 12:06 AM)no one Wrote: Halle Berry, perched atop my tree. [Image: Thumbs%20Up.png]

If you're going down that road; I'd like Nicole Kidman, ca 1995. Please.

Joke:   Santa arrives home earlyXmas morning, and is greeting by one of his sugar plum fairies . 

Quoth she; "Santa, good job!. There's ONE gift left over. What  should I do with it? 

----and THAT girls and boys ,is why there's  a fairy at the top of your Xmas tree.  (boom boom)

OT do you think our Nicole has had some work done on her face? Geez, I hope she knows when to stop. Can't rely on those greedy ciunt plastic surgeons to tell her. .

My poinsettia earrings.  

Glad I don’t have to pare down that far, though.
god, ugh
The following 1 user Likes julep's post:
  • Jenny

Yard Santa.

[Image: 51092661.jpg?w=640]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Jenny

A moot question since I never bother with holiday decorations of any kind.  Big Grin
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Jenny, SYZ

(11-22-2019, 10:36 PM)Jenny Wrote: What would it be? Can be for any holiday, but you only get one decoration only.  For me I'd choose Christmas lights.

Coloured Xmas lights for me too without a doubt but preferably coloured Xmas lights on a real Norway spruce, no other decorations so the tree becomes the complete focus.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • Jenny

(11-23-2019, 08:13 PM)adey67 Wrote:

Coloured Xmas lights for me too without a doubt but preferably coloured Xmas lights on a real Norway spruce, no other decorations so the tree becomes the complete focus.

Yair, I miss the massive live trees dad use to get . Usually reached the ceiling (10 feet)

On year mum's sister sent us a set of 'bubble lights" from the states . They had  cylinders filled with different coloured  liquid.  When turned on , they bubbled.  Simply not available in Oz.  She also sent us a kids' wadding pool before they were widely available here .

I've devolved; this year I've bought a 14 inch artificial tree with flashing LED  lights, in three colours. ($63)
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Jenny

Holiday decoration or Christmas decoration? I would take my worst Halloween decoration over my best Christmas decoration, and I like Christmas decorations.
The following 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post:
  • Jenny

(11-23-2019, 10:53 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote: Holiday decoration or Christmas decoration?  I would take my worst Halloween decoration over my best Christmas decoration, and I like Christmas decorations.

Any decoration Smile

A bottle of dark rum and a happy solstice mug to drink my rum out of.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Jenny, jerry mcmasters

In seriousness, I'd have to say lights. At times I've kept Christmas lights strung around my apartment all year long. There's just something comforting about the colored light.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Jenny, julep

Models of neurons for Cajal Day on May 1st.   hobo
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • Jenny

(11-24-2019, 01:32 PM)Dānu Wrote: In seriousness, I'd have to say lights.  At times I've kept Christmas lights strung around my apartment all year long.  There's just something comforting about the colored light.

We have some Christmas lights and a tabletop artificial tree year round in the basement by the treadmill and elliptical.  When I’m not feeling motivated to exercise, I turn the light strings on.  It’s corny, but it helps.
god, ugh
The following 2 users Like julep's post:
  • Jenny, Dānu

Same, give me my Christmas lights. 
There relaxing, and it's nice to sleep underneath.