Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus' Mission....

Jesus' Mission....
....for the causal layman, those lacking understanding, or even interest:

The curse of death for sin: Gen 2:17 "…but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.” KJV

The only way to eradicate the curse: is for a man to live free from sin, and suffer death. Because; death was only meant for sinners!

How does a man live [free of sin]? Man cannot. He can only repeat it. God, in the person of Jesus can, and does live sin free. And in the process; Teaches us “The Way, 
the Truth, and the Life.” He also atones for our sins, and reconciles Himself to man, for putting sin in front of us to begin with. Much like Him saying, "I am sharing 
in your humanity, and death so I might save all from eternal damnation." And Jesus dies at OUR sentencing and hands, sinless. The curse is then broken!

Death, then becomes a door instead of a destination! And in heeding His teachings, we avoid the “Second Death” (death of the soul). 

And all this..... without disrupting Free Will. AMAZING!

In even simpler terms? God is not asking us to do something He wouldn’t do Himself. And out of pure love for ALL of us! Amen
Quis ut Deus?

Jesus' Mission....
@ronedee

Instead of uninvited preaching , first have the good manners to introduce yourself. Then perhaps have a go at posting some of your own thoughts, in your own words.

Why is it that Christian literalists are so fond of cherry picking the Old Testament? What with YHWH of the Old Testament being a complete cunt and all. Ohhhh , I think I get it; they believe he's real and are terrified of him. Fair enough. I would be too in the same place.

7 to 5 this is another fly by troll.
The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • adey67, skyking

Jesus' Mission....
(11-12-2019, 05:44 AM)grympy Wrote: @ronedee

Instead of uninvited  preaching , first have the good manners to introduce yourself.   Then perhaps have a go at posting some of  your own thoughts, in your own words.

Why is it that Christian literalists are so fond of cherry picking the Old Testament? What with YHWH of the Old Testament being a complete cunt and all. Ohhhh , I think I get it; they believe he's real and are terrified of him. Fair enough. I would be too in the same place.

Ronedee is actually a long-time forum troll from back when TTA was up and running.
The following 3 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, SYZ, skyking

Jesus' Mission....
(11-12-2019, 05:30 AM)ronedee Wrote: God is not asking us to do something He wouldn’t do Himself. 

But "thou shall not kill" is a commandment that your god both issued, and ignored. 

I'm still thinking you haven't thought about this very much. Sorry you've found this place, hoping you make yourself scarce, or at least turn on your brain.
On hiatus.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • grympy, Fireball, Deesse23, skyking

Jesus' Mission....
(11-12-2019, 05:45 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:

Instead of uninvited  preaching , first have the good manners to introduce yourself.   Then perhaps have a go at posting some of  your own thoughts, in your own words.

Ronedee is actually a long-time forum troll from back when TTA was up and running.

... and AF, and ...

Bottom line: nothing worth arguing from this guy.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Phaedrus, grympy

Jesus' Mission....

Thanks Kitty! I'll consider that a, well a nicety. What's up w/ grumpy? Mini been workin on em? Sheeesh

Just trying to help out around here. At least w/ a little change of pace, and fresh meat for you guys to gnaw on. Gawd awful boring 'round these anti-forums these days. Not like the "good oldays". Anti's must be changin' religion, or somethin?
Quis ut Deus?

Jesus' Mission....
(11-12-2019, 05:52 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 05:30 AM)ronedee Wrote: God is not asking us to do something He wouldn’t do Himself. 

But "thou shall not kill" is a commandment that your god both issued, and ignored. 

I'm still thinking you haven't thought about this very much. Sorry you've found this place, hoping you make yourself scarce, or at least turn on your brain.

And the devil quoting scripture again? meh
Quis ut Deus?

Jesus' Mission....
(11-12-2019, 05:55 AM)ronedee Wrote: Gawd awful boring 'round these anti-forums these days. Not like the "good oldays". 

Dude, your stuff has been boring for years already. You need a new schtick, but aren't creative enough to build it ... you're about as fresh as a rotten apple, but not nearly as nutritious.
On hiatus.
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Phaedrus, adey67, Chas, GenesisNemesis

Jesus' Mission....
(11-12-2019, 05:30 AM)ronedee Wrote:   Gen 2:17

What the hell do I care what the bible says.  It's a book of claims.  You can quote from it till the cows come home but it's sill a book that claims a god exists without the slightest bit of evidence.  
                                                         T4618
The following 5 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Phaedrus, adey67, Chas, GenesisNemesis, skyking

Jesus' Mission....
(11-12-2019, 05:58 AM)ronedee Wrote: And the devil quoting scripture again? meh

blahblahblahblah

You got any new lines, or are you still stuck in 2014?

Amateur, can't think for himself, regurgitation station. You've seen this crap for years, readers. He's about as fresh as that gas-station hamburger you passed up two days ago. Fast-food religion for his own ego-massage.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Phaedrus

Jesus' Mission....
(11-12-2019, 06:00 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 05:55 AM)ronedee Wrote: Gawd awful boring 'round these anti-forums these days. Not like the "good oldays". 

Dude, your stuff has been boring for years already. You need a new schtick, but aren't creative enough to build it ... you're about as fresh as a rotten apple, but not nearly as nutritious.

A Mini wanna-be! Get some new lines. 

There are thousands of atheists out of work, and I get you? ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz ~ pffft
Quis ut Deus?

Jesus' Mission....

Yep.  And he's still an asshole who thinks saying that silly shit means anything.

Sad really.  Such a wasted life.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus, SYZ

Jesus' Mission....
(11-12-2019, 06:02 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

What the hell do I care what the bible says.  It's a book of claims.  You can quote from it till the cows come home but it's sill a book that claims a god exists without the slightest bit of evidence.  

Who asked if you care? Do what you do when you see someone lying in the gutter bleeding, and begging for help.
Quis ut Deus?

Jesus' Mission....
If the best an omnipotent being can do is stage a dramatic sacrifice, then color me unimpressed.
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Jesus' Mission....
(11-12-2019, 06:06 AM)Minimalist Wrote:

Yep.  And he's still an asshole who thinks saying that silly shit means anything.

Sad really.  Such a wasted life.

Talk about waste? The same ol crap from your hole for years. The bogus phantom of the anti's slipping in and out of forums like a foul oder. 

The Good News is there is even hope for you! Repent and be saved, my spiny backed friend. Get off your belly and walk like a mammal. Be healed!
Quis ut Deus?

Jesus' Mission....
(11-12-2019, 06:09 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: If the best an omnipotent being can do is stage a dramatic sacrifice, then color me unimpressed.

It all has to do w/ Free Will. 

If a robot is what you would consider a viable companion for ETERNITY? Color me very impressed!
Quis ut Deus?

Jesus' Mission....
It is frustrating. All I want from a discussion board is a place free of completely superstitious religious idiots to discuss real world issues and problems and how to solve them.

Do I need to spend a few months learning how to set up my own discussion site where I can just toss the religious off at first recognition? I got bored arguing with fools a decade ago, but I can't seem to escape them.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

Jesus' Mission....
(11-12-2019, 06:07 AM)ronedee Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 06:02 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

Who asked if you care? Do what you do when you see someone lying in the gutter bleeding, and begging for help.

I'll tell you what I DON'T do.  I sure as hell don't quote a bunch of nonseniscal crap from the meaningless fairytale book you call the bible.
                                                         T4618

Jesus' Mission....
(11-12-2019, 06:24 AM)Cavebear Wrote: It is frustrating.  All I want from a discussion board is a place free of completely superstitious religious idiots to discuss real world issues and problems and how to solve them.  

Do I need to spend a few months learning how to set up my own discussion site where I can just toss the religious off at first recognition?  I got bored arguing with fools a decade ago, but I can't seem to escape them.

That sounds more like something you would do at home alone, under the sheets?

Another reason these forums are so boring. It's all incestuous and inbreed. Nothing interesting at all.

It's probably a mental exercise in blocking out theism, that can't be accomplished in any other way. 

But, is that challenging to the mind, or personally rewarding? heh, I guess it would be for most of you.

....just delivering a message. Do whatever you will.
Quis ut Deus?

Jesus' Mission....
Among many reasons I don't care what the christian texts say is that they take ancient stories and make them part of their mythology out of time, make contradictory statements, and are factually inaccurate.

Jesus' Mission....
(11-12-2019, 06:31 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 06:07 AM)ronedee Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 06:02 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: [/color]

I'll tell you what I DON'T do.  I sure as hell don't quote a bunch of nonseniscal crap from the meaningless fairytale book you call the bible.

It seems you call it the bible too!

Look 2-for, I got your deal. You're on repeat mode now. Unless you have something new to offer... I think I can remember your problems. I won't write too loud anymore! Just don't call the cops! I just got this apartment, and I don't wanna get tossed out! Sheeesh
Quis ut Deus?

Jesus' Mission....
(11-12-2019, 06:43 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Among many reasons I don't care what the christian texts say is that they take ancient stories and make them part of their mythology out of time, make contradictory statements, and are factually inaccurate.

Gotcha! I understand completely. I'll just go now! Big Grin
Quis ut Deus?

Jesus' Mission....
(11-12-2019, 06:40 AM)ronedee Wrote: Another reason these forums are so boring. It's all incestuous and inbreed. Nothing interesting at all.

And yet, here you are!   Isn't there a prayer meeting you've got to go to?  Nod
No gods necessary

Jesus' Mission....
(11-12-2019, 06:48 AM)ronedee Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 06:43 AM)Cavebear Wrote: Among many reasons I don't care what the christian texts say is that they take ancient stories and make them part of their mythology out of time, make contradictory statements, and are factually inaccurate.

Gotcha! I understand completely. I'll just go now! Big Grin

I realize that is sarcasm, but actually, feel free to leave. *I* wouldn't miss you a bit... Big Grin

Jesus' Mission....
(11-12-2019, 06:47 AM)ronedee Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 06:31 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 06:07 AM)ronedee Wrote: Who asked if you care? Do what you do when you see someone lying in the gutter bleeding, and begging for help.

It seems you call it the bible too!

Look 2-for, I got your deal. You're on repeat mode now. Unless you have something new to offer... I think I can remember your problems. I won't write too loud anymore! Just don't call the cops! I just got this apartment, and I don't wanna get tossed out! Sheeesh

I call it the "bible" too because that is what it is generally called. You have to use common terms to describe things. But that doesn't mean that I assign it any value.

A common defense of the bible is that it describes actions given by a deity to help humans live in groups. But I consider it more of an accumulated collection of things that humans learned on their own to help them get along in increasingly complex societies.

In other words, the bible (at best) codifies things that people had already learned. And at worst and otherwise, the bible is full of utter nonsense.