Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Lima Bean Challenge

The Lima Bean Challenge
OK foodies, this one's unrelated to Tide pods. Tongue 

As a child lima beans were the bane of my existence. My father used to buy them canned, boiled what little remained of them to death, and served them without seasoning. I'm not the sort to write something off just because my parents didn't know how to cook, so here's the challenge: Is there a way to prepare these little green horrors to make them edible?

I suspect that this is actually two separate problems.

(1) I live in Eastern Canada and it's difficult to obtain good quality starting material. Few things are improved by being boiled and left to steep in their own juices in a tin can for months on end. How can I get better beans? Aside from growing my own, which may end up being what I'll have to do.

(2) Assuming I can get decent lima beans to work with how do you cook them to make them not horrific? I'm hoping one of you has a better recipe than "Boil until grey."
The following 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post:
  • Phaedrus

The Lima Bean Challenge
[Image: 215-15bs_square_image_update.jpg?mtime=20181129202535]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

The Lima Bean Challenge
(11-09-2019, 11:09 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: [Image: 215-15bs_square_image_update.jpg?mtime=20181129202535]

Dried would probably be an improvement over my father's cooking but that's damnation by faint praise taken to extremes.

Show ContentSpoiler:

The Lima Bean Challenge
(11-09-2019, 11:14 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:
(11-09-2019, 11:09 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: [Image: 215-15bs_square_image_update.jpg?mtime=20181129202535]

Dried would probably be an improvement over my father's cooking but that's damnation by faint praise taken to extremes.

Show ContentSpoiler:

It's fine to rehydrate the dried ones. Frozen ones are also good, I usually use those. Cook until soft, put some butter or cheese on them. Yum.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

The Lima Bean Challenge
(11-09-2019, 11:14 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:

Show ContentSpoiler:

You can make your bean soup with your favorites. I used to pick the lima beans out of that kit because the third wife didn't like them.

When I make that dish I add diced ham, diced onions, and fresh mushrooms. Crock pot for four hours on high or eight hours on low. Three cups dried beans to ten cups water. You'll find your own proportions.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

The Lima Bean Challenge
edamame Big Grin
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

The Lima Bean Challenge
No, there is no way to make Lima beans taste good.   My mother used to prepare them as you describe...nothing like a meal of boiled chicken livers, boiled Lima beans, and canned beets to keep your kids skinny, and sometimes I wonder if that was her motivation...
god, ugh
The following 1 user Likes julep's post:
  • Paleophyte

The Lima Bean Challenge
(11-09-2019, 11:58 PM)julep Wrote: No, there is no way to make Lima beans taste good.   My mother used to prepare them as you describe...nothing like a meal of boiled chicken livers, boiled Lima beans, and canned beets to keep your kids skinny, and sometimes I wonder if that was her motivation...

Try beef livers instead of chicken. I know some of the things that both cows and chicken are fed and what bioaccumulates in the liver so both are revolting on several levels.

Canned beets sound like an abomination but beets themselves can be quite good. Little entertains a kid quite so much as food that makes your bathroom activities so colourful.
The following 3 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • Fireball, julep, Mark

The Lima Bean Challenge
I liked lima beans. It was spinach and brussel sprouts I couldn't stand.

The Lima Bean Challenge
(11-09-2019, 11:30 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I used to pick the lima beans out of that kit because the third wife didn't like them.

You lost two wives to lima beans before you caught on?!?

Quote:When I make that dish I add diced ham, diced onions, and fresh mushrooms. Crock pot for four hours on high or eight hours on low. Three cups dried beans to ten cups water. You'll find your own proportions.

Sounds like my split pea and ham recipe. I use lentils rather than your typical bean but it's otherwise pretty similar.

(11-09-2019, 11:33 PM)Fireball Wrote: edamame Big Grin

That's soy beans, a slightly different genus.

The Lima Bean Challenge
(11-10-2019, 01:47 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: I liked lima beans. It was spinach and brussel sprouts I couldn't stand.

Brussel sprouts are also abominable boiled but there are some quite tasty ways to prepare them. Spinach should never be cooked. It's fine as a mixed green but a bit overwhelming by itself. Anybody caught putting either on pizza will be shot.

The Lima Bean Challenge
Brussels Sprouts taste very sweet and lose that distinctive side flavor when roasted in a hot oven. Yum!
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • SYZ

The Lima Bean Challenge
(11-09-2019, 10:58 PM)Paleophyte Wrote: Is there a way to prepare these little green horrors to make them edible?

From my experience dining I have to think no.

(11-10-2019, 01:42 AM)Paleophyte Wrote: Canned beets sound like an abomination but beets themselves can be quite good. Little entertains a kid quite so much as food that makes your bathroom activities so colourful.

I love the flavor of baked beets on a salad or as a side.  Also good in soup.  Have never had canned beets but some precooked fresh ones I've gotten at Trader Joe's are several notches worse so imagine the canned ones are unimaginable worse.

(11-10-2019, 01:47 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: I liked lima beans. It was spinach and brussel sprouts I couldn't stand.

Bite your tongue.  I've had larger brussel sprouts cut in half cooked quickly in a skillet and do like them that way. But my favorite is to steam the smaller ones whole and then stir in butter and creamed horseradish.  

Both beets and brussel sprouts provide earthy tones which add depth to any meal.  Rhubarb is another one, though I've only had it in desserts.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Dānu

The Lima Bean Challenge
The dried variety are readily available in Australia.

They're usually soaked in cold water overnight, and then lightly boiled next day. When
cooked al dente, they're cooled and drizzled with olive oil and vinegar, and finely
chopped fresh parsley. Lima beans are normally a summer dish here, served as part of
a salad table.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.