Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Ok boomer", the new insult for the older generation

(11-07-2019, 02:30 PM)Alan V Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 01:55 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 01:51 PM)Dom Wrote: All of your generation are alt right people!

This is so false it's hilarious. The majority of millennials voted for Hillary. I was one of them. https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/20...als-voted/

Dom was being sarcastic to make a point.  You missed it.

Yet Dom also said "The boomers had their "trump moment" during Nixon, " thus downplaying the fact that most Boomers voted for Trump... so they made two terrible mistakes? That doesn't give me a better view of Boomers.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Actually 3 terrible mistakes if you also count Bush.  ROFL2
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Watching thread devolution.

Popcorn
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Phaedrus

(11-07-2019, 12:32 PM)Dom Wrote: Hopefully, when the next generation starts having to deal with ageism, they will put it in it's place along with sexism, racism and all the other prejudices that boomers fought so hard to eliminate in the 60s and 70s. Hopefully women and gays will realize that they have come this far because so many boomers took to the streets to fight for them.  Hopefully people will remember that boomers were the generation that helped Martin Luther King build a force that is still fighting for human rights today. Hopefully some day atheists will realize that boomers were the ones to make it ok to think about religions that differed from the one they were raised in and thusly made it more possible to escape religion altogether.

None of those groups made any progress until the then youthful boomers hit the scene. Put that in your glass and drink it.

Not to mention that in the future you people here will be painted with the brush of the alt right movement which thrives during your reign.

The ignorance of recent history is staggering, and the prejudices are disgusting.

This is the first thread in this forum that seriously pisses me off.

Aggravated

+1

If the "ok boomer" thing was being used as part of social activism and working to effect meaningful change, it would make more sense. But it's just a meme.

It looks like "ok boomer" is also being heavily monetized. With some of the profits no doubt enjoyed by (the wealthier) people in that oh-so-horrid boomer age bracket.
Americans are breathtakingly stupid. Insult fellow Americans who are mostly trying to just get by and then line the wallets of the wealthy using those insults.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 2 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Dom, Fireball

(11-07-2019, 02:51 PM)brewerb Wrote: Watching thread devolution.

Popcorn

"Devolution"? I was merely bringing up statistical facts.  Consider

But OK, you can ignore those, I suppose.

(11-07-2019, 02:59 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:

Popcorn

3 "terrible mistakes" is your political opinion of facts.

Edit: And you may be confusing the greatest gen with the boomer gen. Ya know, the ones of the 60's and 70's.

(11-07-2019, 03:07 PM)brewerb Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 02:59 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:

Popcorn

Lemme guess, you don't consider Bush a "terrible mistake"?  ROFL2

I've worked with the elderly since I was 17 I learned a lot from them and loved their stories and anecdotes as it was living history, I was proud to assist in making their lives just that little bit easier and now as I age and my bones start to creak and ache and my eyes not work as well as they used to and a myriad of other small things happen like loss of fine motor skills and reflexes I appreciate them and their stoicism even more but I take comfort in the fact that I don't have anything to reproach myself for in respect of piss poor attitude when I was younger. Growing older can be quite tough and those going through it can well do without being made to feel useless or less than or dismissed as irrelevant. Just sayin Angel
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • Dom

(11-07-2019, 03:20 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 03:07 PM)brewerb Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 02:59 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: "Devolution"? I was merely bringing up statistical facts.  Consider

Lemme guess, you don't consider Bush a "terrible mistake"?  ROFL2

Terrible mistake is an opinion. Own it. 

We're not discussing my opinions (political or otherwise) but the blanket labeling of generations, which you seem to be enjoying, and making your own mistakes about. (there's an opinion of mine)
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Alan V, Thumpalumpacus

(11-07-2019, 03:26 PM)adey67 Wrote: I've worked with the elderly since I was 17 I learned a lot from them and loved their stories and anecdotes as it was living history, I was proud to assist in making their lives just that little bit easier and now as I age and my bones start to creak and ache and my eyes not work as well as they used to and a myriad of other small things happen like loss of fine motor skills and reflexes I appreciate them and their stoicism even more but I take comfort in the fact that I don't have anything to reproach myself for in respect of piss poor attitude when I was younger. Growing older can be quite tough and those going through it can well do without being made to feel useless or less than or dismissed as irrelevant. Just sayin Angel

NURSE!!!!!
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • adey67

(11-07-2019, 03:33 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 03:26 PM)adey67 Wrote: I've worked with the elderly since I was 17 I learned a lot from them and loved their stories and anecdotes as it was living history, I was proud to assist in making their lives just that little bit easier and now as I age and my bones start to creak and ache and my eyes not work as well as they used to and a myriad of other small things happen like loss of fine motor skills and reflexes I appreciate them and their stoicism even more but I take comfort in the fact that I don't have anything to reproach myself for in respect of piss poor attitude when I was younger. Growing older can be quite tough and those going through it can well do without being made to feel useless or less than or dismissed as irrelevant. Just sayin Angel

NURSE!!!!!

Guilty as charged, its in my blood it never leaves you even if you aren't actively doing it anymore.
  • Gawdzilla Sama

(11-07-2019, 02:33 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 01:55 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: This is so false it's hilarious. The majority of millennials voted for Hillary. I was one of them. https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/20...als-voted/

Yet Dom also said "The boomers had their "trump moment" during Nixon, " thus downplaying the fact that most Boomers voted for Trump... so they made two terrible mistakes? That doesn't give me a better view of Boomers.

They? Do you even realize how prejudiced you are?
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

(11-07-2019, 04:39 AM)Joods Wrote: This is frequently used on a facebook group I belong to. I think it's pretty sad to start flinging insults this way. You literally lose any point you were going to make the second this happens.

ok boomer
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

The following 1 user Likes Aegon's post:
  • Ferdinand

(11-07-2019, 12:32 PM)Dom Wrote: Hopefully, when the next generation starts having to deal with ageism, they will put it in it's place along with sexism, racism and all the other prejudices that boomers fought so hard to eliminate in the 60s and 70s. Hopefully women and gays will realize that they have come this far because so many boomers took to the streets to fight for them.  Hopefully people will remember that boomers were the generation that helped Martin Luther King build a force that is still fighting for human rights today. Hopefully some day atheists will realize that boomers were the ones to make it ok to think about religions that differed from the one they were raised in and thusly made it more possible to escape religion altogether.

None of those groups made any progress until the then youthful boomers hit the scene. Put that in your glass and drink it.

Not to mention that in the future you people here will be painted with the brush of the alt right movement which thrives during your reign.

The ignorance of recent history is staggering, and the prejudices are disgusting.

Aggravated

ok boomer

In all seriousness, it's just a natural response to millennials getting shit on for the last 10 years. If this is the BIG RESPONSE to being called "snowflakes," I'd say it's pretty tame. Calm thyself.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

(11-07-2019, 03:42 PM)Dom Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 02:33 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 02:30 PM)Alan V Wrote: Dom was being sarcastic to make a point.  You missed it.

They? Do you even realize how prejudiced you are?

I'm not to bent. I made the same kind of noises about the previous generation in my teens/youth. My parents/grandparents said, just wait.

(11-07-2019, 04:17 PM)Aegon Wrote:

Aggravated

ok boomer

In all seriousness, it's just a natural response to millennials getting shit on for the last 10 years. If this is the BIG RESPONSE to being called "snowflakes," I'd say it's pretty tame. Calm thyself.

And here I thought all liberals were called snowflakes, I had no idea I was excluded on the basis of age.
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • adey67

Popcorn

Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.

A little long, but perennial.
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.

(11-07-2019, 03:38 PM)adey67 Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 03:33 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

NURSE!!!!!

Guilty as charged, its in my blood it never leaves you even if you aren't actively doing it anymore.

I'm the same way about shooting people. Chuckle
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • adey67

(11-07-2019, 01:55 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 01:51 PM)Dom Wrote: All of your generation are alt right people!

This is so false it's hilarious. The majority of millennials voted for Hillary. I was one of them. https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/20...als-voted/

GenNem,

The point was that if you object to over-generalizations about your generation, you should also object to over-generalizations about boomers.

But I see you missed the point again.
The following 3 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Dom, adey67, Thumpalumpacus

Quote:It’s also overly simplistic to say that older Americans vote Republican, they’re just a lot more likely than younger voters to do so. Exit polls show that in 2012, 56% of voters age 65 and over voted for Republican candidate Mitt Romney compared to just 37% of the youngest voting group, those age 18 to 29.

That translates to a 19 percentage point lead for Republicans among the oldest Americans. In 2008 it was 21 percentage points, and in 2004 it was just 9 percentage points. In other words, though this trend has long existed, the size of it depends on other factors too – factors like which candidates are standing for election.

Quote:Don’t forget though, correlation doesn’t mean causality – the reasons why older voters lean Republican isn’t necessarily their age per se. Older Americans are more likely to be white and they’re also more likely to be religious (Protestant or Catholic in particular) – and both of those demographic groups also tend to vote Republican for reasons that are quite separate from pension plans.

It’s also a mistake to treat such a loose group as “the oldest voters” as a single unit. Research from Pew Research Center has found that baby boomers (those age 50 to 68) are less likely to identify with the label Republican than the uncomfortably titled silent generation (who are age 69 to 86).

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablo...ction-2016
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Alan V

Aggravated

THIS ^ ^ ^

Every generation brings something to the table.  Some more than others.  Without the baby boomer generation rocking the boat and moving us out of Eisenhower social conservatism half of what we do today wouldn't be accepted.  The generations after the boomers have enjoyed social freedoms previously unknown.  Just the daily wearing of blue jeans was unacceptable in the 1950's.  I wonder if this generation would like to go back to wearing more formal attire to the movies or for a simple trip to the grocery store.  I doubt it.  Boomers changed this.
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Dom, adey67, Tres Leches

(11-07-2019, 04:56 PM)Alan V Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 01:55 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: This is so false it's hilarious. The majority of millennials voted for Hillary. I was one of them. https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/20...als-voted/

GenNem,

The point was that if you object to over-generalizations about your generation, you should also object to over-generalizations about boomers.

But I see you missed the point again.
Exactly there's good and bad in every generation there are quite a few elderly people I cared for who were really shitty people and there's quite a few millennials who have fought with distinction in our armed forces. Anyone who judges a person by a group is a peawit you take people one at a time.
  • jerry mcmasters

(11-07-2019, 02:59 PM)Tres Leches Wrote: Americans are breathtakingly stupid. 

-Teresa

On that I think we all can agree; finally a justification for 'Murican exceptionalism.  Well except those who still naively suppose their generation will usher in the historic dawning of a new age.  We boomers used to think that way, or at least I did.  We called it the age of aquarius if memory serves.  It all made sense especially when chemically enhanced.  But turns out our ranks included the full range of humanity, and lots here in the states who are indeed breathtakingly stupid.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 3 users Like Mark's post:
  • Dom, Tres Leches, Thumpalumpacus

(11-07-2019, 02:59 PM)Tres Leches Wrote: ... Americans are breathtakingly stupid ...

US citizens do not have that particular market cornered; it's one of the most equitably distributed commodities across mankind.  Tongue
The following 2 users Like airportkid's post:
  • adey67, jerry mcmasters