Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Ok boomer", the new insult for the older generation

"Okay boomer" is dividing generations

Quote:Back in 1963, when the term “baby-boomer” was first published in a Salt Lake Tribune article, it carried just one definition: a person born during the tail end or in the decade after World War II, when the United States saw a tremendous spike in births. Frequently shortened to “boomer,” over the years the phrase has been imbued with layers of meaning and implication. Much like “millennial,” “boomer” doesn’t merely indicate a person born in a given time or place, it’s a blanket term referencing the predominant trends, values and concerns of an entire generation.

“Boomer” is also, evidently, an insult to an older person, who may or may not technically be a baby boomer. The development of the word as a pejorative is a pretty recent phenomenon, best exemplified by “OK boomer” — a phrase that has gained heavy traction on the social video app TikTok, among other internet platforms. Much like the poorly aged ‘90s slang “talk to the hand,” “OK boomer” is a derisive repudiation, a bit mocking in tone, like a verbal eye roll — and it’s directed specifically by a young person toward someone older.
The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Aegon

Boomer doesn't bother me.  I can cut some great farts when I put some effort in.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 4 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus, Fireball, Tres Leches, Joods

(11-07-2019, 01:25 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Boomer doesn't bother me.  I can cut some great farts when I put some effort in.

My skivvies are called "thunderwear" in our house for a reason.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Phaedrus, Minimalist

Humans love to be offended by the most absurd things. For some reason, skin has become tracing paper-thin.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Phaedrus

Boomers are the biggest demographic that voted for Trump. Thanks, Boomers!
The following 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • RobbyPants, Tres Leches, Ferdinand

[Image: o0d4fbl6anw31.jpg]

The dividing up of generations into neat and tidy boxes with cute monikers always seemed strange to me. 
I'm wondering if this is just an American thing. 
I'm supposed to be Gen X but I wouldn't refer to myself as a Gen X-er. 

Also, millennials act like insulting and looking down your nose at your elders is something they've invented.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 8 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Phaedrus, Joods, Mark, RobbyPants, Fireball, Dancefortwo, Old Man Marsh, mordant

(11-07-2019, 04:20 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: The dividing up of generations into neat and tidy boxes with cute monikers always seemed strange to me. 

-Teresa

I blame millennials.
The following 5 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Phaedrus, Tres Leches, Dancefortwo, Old Man Marsh, Chas

This is frequently used on a facebook group I belong to. I think it's pretty sad to start flinging insults this way. You literally lose any point you were going to make the second this happens.
      On ignore: Shitty people not deserving of my time or attention.
The following 1 user Likes Joods's post:
  • Phaedrus

Yeah! Only boogerheads toss around insults!
The following 3 users Like no one's post:
  • Phaedrus, Tres Leches, Dancefortwo

(11-07-2019, 04:39 AM)Joods Wrote: This is frequently used on a facebook group I belong to. I think it's pretty sad to start flinging insults this way. You literally lose any point you were going to make the second this happens.

I think as a shock value to the opposition that is not properly listening or understanding it does precisely what it was designed to do. It lets the old fart know that respect is not freely given, but has to be earned.
The following 3 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Joods, RobbyPants, isbelldl

(11-07-2019, 04:42 AM)no one Wrote: Yeah! Only boogerheads toss around insults!

ROFL2
      On ignore: Shitty people not deserving of my time or attention.

(11-07-2019, 04:50 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 04:39 AM)Joods Wrote: This is frequently used on a facebook group I belong to. I think it's pretty sad to start flinging insults this way. You literally lose any point you were going to make the second this happens.

I think as a shock value to the opposition that is not properly listening or understanding it does precisely what it was designed to do. It lets the old fart know that respect is not freely given, but has to be earned.

There's an op-ed in the New York Times that "ok billionaire" is a better rallying cry, which I agree with. They deserve the insults, not Marge in North Dakota who was laid off her job in the recession in 2009 and hasn't been able to find work since.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/06/opini...e=Homepage

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 5 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Phaedrus, Mark, Dancefortwo, SYZ, Joods

(11-07-2019, 04:20 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: The dividing up of generations into neat and tidy boxes with cute monikers always seemed strange to me. 
I'm supposed to be Gen X but I wouldn't refer to myself as a Gen X-er. 

Also, millennials act like insulting and looking down your nose at your elders is something they've invented.

-Teresa

"Ain't no fool like an old fool!"
 - Aunt Esther - Sanford and Son
Sitting in the club car of the hell bound train.

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Phaedrus, Tres Leches

Wait, who are the snowflakes here? The boomers what raised me wouldn't give a shit about this new thing. Don't worry, you'll live, no matter your age bracket.

If you can't cut back against such a stupid riposte, perhaps you deserve to be flamed.

People have opinions, film at eleven.
"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?" -- Frank Herbert
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Phaedrus, Tres Leches, SYZ, Joods

You have to give someone permission before they can piss you off.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Phaedrus, Thumpalumpacus, Joods

Meh.   hobo
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • Phaedrus

Hopefully, when the next generation starts having to deal with ageism, they will put it in it's place along with sexism, racism and all the other prejudices that boomers fought so hard to eliminate in the 60s and 70s. Hopefully women and gays will realize that they have come this far because so many boomers took to the streets to fight for them.  Hopefully people will remember that boomers were the generation that helped Martin Luther King build a force that is still fighting for human rights today. Hopefully some day atheists will realize that boomers were the ones to make it ok to think about religions that differed from the one they were raised in and thusly made it more possible to escape religion altogether.

None of those groups made any progress until the then youthful boomers hit the scene. Put that in your glass and drink it.

Not to mention that in the future you people here will be painted with the brush of the alt right movement which thrives during your reign.

The ignorance of recent history is staggering, and the prejudices are disgusting.

This is the first thread in this forum that seriously pisses me off.

Aggravated
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 6 users Like Dom's post:
  • Phaedrus, Alan V, adey67, Tres Leches, Dancefortwo, Chas

(11-07-2019, 12:32 PM)Dom Wrote: Hopefully, when the next generation starts having to deal with ageism, they will put it in it's place along with sexism, racism and all the other prejudices that boomers fought so hard to eliminate in the 60s and 70s. Hopefully women and gays will realize that they have come this far because so many boomers took to the streets to fight for them.  Hopefully people will remember that boomers were the generation that helped Martin Luther King build a force that is still fighting for human rights today. Hopefully some day atheists will realize that boomers were the ones to make it ok to think about religions that differed from the one they were raised in and thusly made it more possible to escape religion altogether.

None of those groups made any progress until the then youthful boomers hit the scene. Put that in your glass and drink it.

Not to mention that in the future you people here will be painted with the brush of the alt right movement which thrives during your reign.

The ignorance of recent history is staggering, and the prejudices are disgusting.

This is the first thread in this forum that seriously pisses me off.

Aggravated

I'm technically gen X but only by two years and I agree with everything you said, I'm totally with you on this one Dom.
Justaminute    Salisbury steak...... A hamburger by any other name. 
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • Dom

I had a incident once, with a snippy young man.

He: Well, that's what you get by not dying young.

Me: May you live long enough to be deeply embarrassed by that comment.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  
The following 4 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • adey67, Dancefortwo, Cheerful Charlie, Chas

Okay person of some younger generation who apparently hopes their lot can evade all human foibles by assigning them to generations other than their own. Good luck with that. I'd say let me know how that works out for you except by the time you figure it out I won't be there. Then, a little bit later, neither will you. Plus, I already know.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 4 users Like Mark's post:
  • Dom, adey67, Fireball, Dancefortwo

(11-07-2019, 12:32 PM)Dom Wrote: Hopefully, when the next generation starts having to deal with ageism, they will put it in it's place along with sexism, racism and all the other prejudices that boomers fought so hard to eliminate in the 60s and 70s.

And then they voted for Trump in 2016? Makes sense.  Consider

(11-07-2019, 01:31 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 12:32 PM)Dom Wrote: Hopefully, when the next generation starts having to deal with ageism, they will put it in it's place along with sexism, racism and all the other prejudices that boomers fought so hard to eliminate in the 60s and 70s.

And then they voted for Trump in 2016? Makes sense.  Consider

There is no "they"! You are painting a whole generation with the same brush, you know, like people do with gays and women and blacks and all the isms...

The boomers had their "trump moment" during Nixon, society just as divided and broken as now, people were just exploding bombs instead of mass shooting folks. The country was every bit as divided, and there were fairly equal numbers on both sides.

All of your generation are alt right people! That's what your grand and great grand children will say about you. Have fun with that!
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • Alan V, Tres Leches

(11-07-2019, 01:51 PM)Dom Wrote: All of your generation are alt right people!

This is so false it's hilarious. The majority of millennials voted for Hillary. I was one of them. https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/20...als-voted/

Quote:
On election day, Hillary Clinton won the youth vote (55 percent) while Donald Trump only garnered the support of 37 percent of the millennial electorate.

Do Boomers care about facts? That is the question.  Consider
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Szuchow, Ferdinand

(11-07-2019, 01:55 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(11-07-2019, 01:51 PM)Dom Wrote: All of your generation are alt right people!

This is so false it's hilarious. The majority of millennials voted for Hillary. I was one of them. https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/20...als-voted/

Dom was being sarcastic to make a point.  You missed it.
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • Dom, SYZ