Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Strange Conversation It's Almost Like A Song

I wasn't born in the USA and I've often wondered what it's like living in America. Don't get me wrong, New York is a wonderful town but I couldn't see myself living there. I can see for miles and miles from where I live.

What?
He loves me?  Facepalm
The following 1 user Likes NorthernBen's post:
  • Tres Leches

Don't think about it, there is no more room here, Nebraska is closed.

[Image: cacaeef653e06b0b108a54fcac15ca7b.jpg]

How is this a game?
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Alan V

Is that a road to nowhere?
He loves me?  Facepalm

Thread moved.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

The US is big and has just about every type of landscape you can imagine.

(11-05-2019, 03:30 PM)Dom Wrote: Thread moved.

Why? Don't stop me now I'm having such a good time, I'm having a ball Smile
He loves me?  Facepalm

(11-05-2019, 03:31 PM)Dom Wrote:  imagine.

You're getting the hang of it now.
He loves me?  Facepalm

(11-05-2019, 03:44 PM)NorthernBen Wrote:

I'm not stopping you, I just moved it because it was not about gaming.

(11-05-2019, 02:18 PM)NorthernBen Wrote: I wasn't born in the USA and I've often wondered what it's like living in America. Don't get me wrong, New York is a wonderful town but I couldn't see myself living there. I can see for miles and miles from where I live.

What?

There's a lot of good things and a lot of bad things about living in the US but because I have nothing to compare it to living here is just what I do.   There is amazing scenery here and I think this is probably one of the best things about the US. We have the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone, The Rockies and many other diverse natural wonders.  When I've visited these sights it's full of people from around the world and it makes me proud that they've come here despite the fucking moronic idiot in the White House.  It gives me hope.  

I, in turn, have always wondered what it's like to live in the UK.  It fascinates me.  My ancesters were wool merchants from the Peterborough area  (Yaxley) and I can trace them back to almost the Norman Conquest.  I would LOVE to visit your country.  I probably have a far too romantic ideal of what I'd see though.  There's quite a few  Brits here in Portland Oregon. I think the weather reminds them of home.  It rains a lot here and it's very green.  

This is about 15 miles from my home. It's the Columbia Gorge   (Pardon me, I know I've posted this way too many times before but you're kinda new so here it is again)

[Image: 960xauto-or_columbiagorge_02272009_01-jpg.jpg]

And this is one of the many waterfalls in the Columbia Gorge.

[Image: 1-multnomah-falls-waterfall-oregon-colum...k-ryan.jpg]

And sometimes it freezes over in the winter.  It's stunningly beautiful. 

[Image: 7649--preview.jpg]
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Alan V, brewerb, skyking

I live in a suburb of Philadelphia. We have lots of two-story brick houses, twin homes, and rowhomes. We have buses, commuter trains, and trolleys, and lots of ramshackle little businesses as well as the major chains. We have easy access to major sports teams, world-class museums, and quite a few important historical sites. There are also a fair number of expensive universities. In my area, the very poor live within 5 miles of the very rich for some reason, so it's a diverse area.

I live behind a 7-Eleven convenience store, so I was just out picking up garbage in the alleys again. I filled a whole plastic bag. Yet I can easily drive to Longwood Gardens or Valley Forge National Park to see beautiful scenery.
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • brewerb, Tres Leches

(11-05-2019, 03:57 PM)Dom Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 03:44 PM)NorthernBen Wrote:

I'm not stopping you, I just moved it because it was not about gaming.

Try to see it my way, only time will tell if I am right or I am wrong.
He loves me?  Facepalm
The following 1 user Likes NorthernBen's post:
  • skyking

Great cites like
Atlanta, Philadelphia PA

(11-05-2019, 07:07 PM)skyking Wrote: Great cites like
Atlanta, Philadelphia PA

Most of the great cities in the US are beside rivers.  This is true of cities around the world.  Where there are rivers there are bridges and bridges are usually lofty structures with pretty arches and beautiful lines.  River water reflects the cityscape and it's lights. Rivers give a city history because people going back thousands of years congregated around water. This is one of the reason's Los Angeles is such a crappy place.  At one time there was a river, the Los Angeles River, but it was cemented over and it's ugly as shit.  

Ick.

[Image: 800px-MTA_los_angeles_river.jpg]
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Tres Leches

Why am I the only one who's singing?  Confused
He loves me?  Facepalm

I was singing LOL.
then I got the lyrics wrong
Keep on rockin' by Steve Miller.
I went from Phoenix, Arizona
All the way to Tacoma
Philadelphia, Atlanta, L.A.
Northern California…

oops!

...where the girls are warm...
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

and through an open window came
like Sinatra in a younger day

(11-05-2019, 11:20 PM)NorthernBen Wrote: Why am I the only one who's singing?  Confused

You gave it away too soon Tongue

[spoiler: it was a game]

Ben, sometimes you just have to let the good times roll.

That's how it goes
In a northern town

(11-05-2019, 05:58 PM)Alan V Wrote: I live in a suburb of Philadelphia.  We have lots of two-story brick houses, twin homes, and rowhomes.  We have buses, commuter trains, and trolleys, and lots of ramshackle little businesses as well as the major chains.  We have easy access to major sports teams, world-class museums, and quite a few important historical sites.  There are also a fair number of expensive universities.  In my area, the very poor live within 5 miles of the very rich for some reason, so it's a diverse area.

I live behind a 7-Eleven convenience store, so I was just out picking up garbage in the alleys again.  I filled a whole plastic bag.  Yet I can easily drive to Longwood Gardens or Valley Forge National Park to see beautiful scenery.

Work took me to King of Prussia for years. Every time the business office there would take me thru Valley Forge. I didn't have the heart to tell them how many times I'd been there previously. They were very proud of it.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Alan V

Of Course Oz has miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles.

I've been told that Japanese tourists travelling across the Nullabor Plains by bus have had nervous breakdowns.

I think we also have the largest a cattle station (ranch). It's called Anna creek Station. Some Aussies like to boast it's the size of Texas, which is incorrect. It's actually only slightly larger than Israel.

Anna Creek Station is the world's largest working cattle station. It is located in the Australian state of South Australia.[2]
Contents

Anna Creek Station has an area of 23,677 square kilometres (9,142 sq mi; 5,851,000 acres)[3] which is slightly larger than Israel.[4] It is 1,977,000 acres (8,000 km2; 3,089 sq mi) larger than its nearest rival, Alexandria Station in the country's Northern Territory. It is over seven times the size of the United States' biggest ranch, King Ranch in Texas, which is 825,000 acres (3,340 km2; 1,289 sq mi).[5] As of 16 December 2016, the station is owned by the Williams Cattle Company, a family business that bought Anna Creek from S. Kidman & Co, doubling their total area held under pastoral leases. The nearest township is William Creek (which is surrounded by the Anna Creek station), but the nearest town for freight is Coober Pedy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Creek_Station

I've seen only a little of the US, and loved it. I would never even try to make comparisons of excellence. Most countries have their own beauty . I see it as usually a matter of different rather than better/worse.

When I get off my arse and take a couple of day trips, I hope to take some photos of my beautiful state of South Australia.
The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • Fireball, Alan V

(11-05-2019, 02:18 PM)NorthernBen Wrote: I wasn't born in the USA and I've often wondered what it's like living in America. Don't get me wrong, New York is a wonderful town but I couldn't see myself living there. I can see for miles and miles from where I live.

What?

New York is also a state. A big, beautiful state where you can also see for miles and miles from some parts, especially the part where I'm from.

I live in California now but thinking seriously about retiring abroad when the time comes. The cost of living is too high here in the US.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(11-06-2019, 01:12 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 11:20 PM)NorthernBen Wrote: Why am I the only one who's singing?  Confused

You gave it away too soon Tongue

That's what my dad said about my virginity, he had a good sense of humour.
He loves me?  Facepalm