Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazing Engineering - Science Triumphant

Voyager sending reports from beyond the edge of the solar system.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11...r-mission/

Quote:Voyager 2 sends update from beyond the solar system after 42 year mission

Quote:A Nasa probe has sent back its first data from beyond the solar system after an incredible 42-year journey.

Voyager 2 blasted off in 1977 and left the heliosphere, the so-called "solar bubble" that envelops Earth and our neighbouring planets, last year.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(11-04-2019, 08:20 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Voyager sending reports from beyond the edge of the solar system.

Quote:But Bill Kurth, of the University of Iowa, said: "They will outlast Earth. They are in their own orbits around the galaxy for five billion years or longer, and the probability of them running into anything is almost zero."
On board are drawings of a man and a woman, bird and whale songs, and a recording of "Johnny B. Goode" by Chuck Berry.

That just boggles my mind.  Wow.
No gods necessary
The following 1 user Likes brunumb's post:
  • Kepler's Dream

To boldy go..... Bowing
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • Kepler's Dream

Still no sign of god out there, I take it.
The following 4 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • SYZ, Kepler's Dream, Minimalist, tomilay

When some great scientific or engineering achievement occurs I always think of this quote:

Quote:"What has theology ever said that is of the smallest use to anybody? When has theology ever said anything that is demonstrably true and is not obvious? I have listened to theologians, read them, debated against them. I have never heard any of them ever say anything of the smallest use, anything that was not either platitudinously obvious or downright false. If all the achievements of scientists were wiped out tomorrow, there would be no doctors but witch doctors, no transport faster than horses, no computers, no printed books, no agriculture beyond subsistence peasant farming. If all the achievements of theologians were wiped out tomorrow, would anyone notice the smallest difference? Even the bad achievements of scientists, the bombs, and sonar-guided whaling vessels work! The achievements of theologians don't do anything, don't affect anything, don't mean anything. What makes anyone think that 'theology' is a subject at all?"

Richard Dawkins - 2006
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 4 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball, brunumb, Inkubus, mordant

(11-05-2019, 03:51 PM)Minimalist Wrote: When some great scientific or engineering achievement occurs I always think of this quote:

Quote:"What has theology ever said that is of the smallest use to anybody? When has theology ever said anything that is demonstrably true and is not obvious? I have listened to theologians, read them, debated against them. I have never heard any of them ever say anything of the smallest use, anything that was not either platitudinously obvious or downright false. If all the achievements of scientists were wiped out tomorrow, there would be no doctors but witch doctors, no transport faster than horses, no computers, no printed books, no agriculture beyond subsistence peasant farming. If all the achievements of theologians were wiped out tomorrow, would anyone notice the smallest difference? Even the bad achievements of scientists, the bombs, and sonar-guided whaling vessels work! The achievements of theologians don't do anything, don't affect anything, don't mean anything. What makes anyone think that 'theology' is a subject at all?"

Richard Dawkins - 2006

I have always referred to theology as a faux discipline. It is certainly rigorous in its own navel-gazing, self-referential way. But it is like undertaking a detailed study of garden faries and all that has ever been written or thought concerning them, and attempting to reconcile the conflicting descriptions and ideas about them. At the end of the day, the world does not need that kind of rigor concerning garden faries. Or ANY kind of rigor. The world does not even need garden faries.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • grympy, Fireball

@mordant

From the Devil's dictionary

"Theology: The effort to explain the unknowable in terms of the not worth knowing" . (H L Mencken)
The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • Fireball, mordant