Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Does God Hate Baby Seals?

(10-30-2019, 06:49 PM)Drich Wrote: why do you assume everything is entitled to it full potential life span?

I don't. Not since I left a faith that told me that god blesses the righteous and confounds the wicked, and offers protection, "victory", and coherence to those who obey him, who knows every sparrow that falls from its nest. Once I got rid of those entitled notions, I understood that existence owes me or anyone else, bupkis.

That said, I also understand that it is on us and us alone to do all we can to ameliorate suffering, in humans and animals alike.

In a sense, we humans are (or should be at least) a great big middle finger to the indifference of the universe.

So while every being does not "deserve" a "full" life span, we strive to make that span less, rather than more, short, mean and nasty.

This also speaks to the utter idiocy of those who claim that atheists are "angry at god". As we don't believe god exists and don't believe we're entitled to anything, there is no source for such anger. Our anger is with theists and our hypotheticals about how their deity is sadistic and hateful is an acknowledgment that IF their god existed, that is what it would be. Of course, what their god actually is, is a projection of their own petty smallness. Men create their gods as something they can relate to, as expressions of what they wish they could be. And apparently what fundamentalists at least wish they could be, is, on a good day, an omnipotent middle school hall monitor, and on a bad day, a martinet, and on a really bad day, a spiteful tormenter.
The following 5 users Like mordant's post:
  • Dom, brunumb, grympy, epronovost, Gwaithmir

Judging by how much suffering can be seen in the world god hates everything so why should he make exception for baby seals?
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
The following 4 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Dom, grympy, TheGentlemanBastard, Gwaithmir

(10-31-2019, 03:30 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Judging by how much suffering can be seen in the world god hates everything so why should he make exception for baby seals?

Indeed.

Nature is neither kind nor malevolent.  

A life observation is everything  which happens (with the likely exception of the beginning  of  the universe ) has a cause  but not a reason.  It is we humans who insist on  ascribing  meaning to everything, and human traits to animals.

However, I think our liking and protection of baby animals is probably hard wired, so we protect our own young.
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Fireball