Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Does God Hate Baby Seals?

Baby seals is the least of his hatred. God hates pregnant women too. About 1 in 4 known pregnancies end in a miscarriage and half of all pregnancies end in a miscarriage with the woman never realizing she was pregnant.  God runs the largest  "Abortion by God" clinic in human history.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Szuchow

(10-29-2019, 02:01 PM)Fireball Wrote: Probably as many as were following our boat back to port in y2k. A group of us had gone deep sea fishing on a charter, and the crew was cleaning our fish and throwing the entrails off the stern. That "flock" would have made good stock footage for a remake of "The Birds", ala Alfred Hitchcock.
Segulls are dicks.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

(10-29-2019, 05:36 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 12:03 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 12:01 AM)julep Wrote: God doesn’t do much for baby turtles, either.  

Nature red in tooth and claw should do so much to dissuade humans from accepting the axiom of a good or benevolent god.  But no.

One of my friends runs interference for the green sea turtles that hatch out near his Florida home. He uses a weedeater to dissuade the gulls. Turns out that if he kills one the gulls go after it instead of the turtles.  Shy

Maybe next time, he can set out a few paper bowls of dry cat food to draw the seagulls away from the turtles?

Sea gulls are turtles natural enemies? ie not introduced?

My understanding is that only a small percentage of baby turtles survive to breed. What happens if you interfere and many more than than  usual survive?  Are you not upsetting  the ecological balance? Or is it Ok because predators in the sea will get them  anyway?

Please don't yell at me; I love baby turtles.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((9))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Joke:   A drunk is at the carnival . Manages to knock down some of the pins. Bloke gives him a baby turtle-----

An hour later, the drunk  returns, knocks down even more pins.  Bloke offers him  a stuffed toy. 

Drunk says "No thanks, may  I have another one of those crunchy meat pies?"
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Fireball

They're just undoing centuries of damage done by humans. As far as they can, anyway.

(10-29-2019, 08:45 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: They're just undoing centuries of damage done by humans. As far as they can, anyway.

I don't understand . What damage exactly? Is there scientific consensus about such damage?  Just asking

(10-29-2019, 09:33 PM)grympy Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 08:45 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: They're just undoing centuries of damage done by humans. As far as they can, anyway.

I don't understand . What damage exactly? Is there scientific consensus about such damage?  Just asking

The turtles make good eating.

(10-29-2019, 08:43 PM)grympy Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 05:36 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 12:03 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: One of my friends runs interference for the green sea turtles that hatch out near his Florida home. He uses a weedeater to dissuade the gulls. Turns out that if he kills one the gulls go after it instead of the turtles.  Shy

Maybe next time, he can set out a few paper bowls of dry cat food to draw the seagulls away from the turtles?

My understanding is that only a small percentage of baby turtles survive to breed. What happens if you interfere and many more than than  usual survive?  Are you not upsetting  the ecological balance? Or is it Ok because predators in the sea will get them  anyway?

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((9))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Joke:   A drunk is at the carnival . Manages to knock down some of the pins. Bloke gives him a baby turtle-----

An hour later, the drunk  returns, knocks down even more pins.  Bloke offers him  a stuffed toy. 

ROFL2  Belongs in the "Mean-Ass Jokes" thread! It reminds me of a guy I knew who was in the Philippines and ate balut. He was drunker than a monkey when he did it. The next day, hung over like a rat, he mentioned what he had done, to his buddies. Nobody believed him, and had him eat one in front of them. Of course, as hung over as he was, he just puked when he tried. Ended up nobody believed he had eaten one. I've never been to the Philippines, myself.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

(10-29-2019, 09:41 PM)Fireball Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 08:43 PM)grympy Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 05:36 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: Maybe next time, he can set out a few paper bowls of dry cat food to draw the seagulls away from the turtles?

ROFL2  Belongs in the "Mean-Ass Jokes" thread! It reminds me of a guy I knew who was in the Philippines and ate balut. He was drunker than a monkey when he did it. The next day, hung over like a rat, he mentioned what he had done, to his buddies. Nobody believed him, and had him eat one in front of them. Of course, as hung over as he was, he just puked when he tried. Ended up nobody believed he had eaten one. I've never been to the Philippines, myself.

I've been, and like most Filipino food.Could not face trying balut.  Fav; Lechon; whole pig, special occasions, mostly Xmas;  Slowly on a rotisserie .The skin is the delicacy. I've had it once.

I've seen sailors and marines try to eat that shit. Try.

(10-29-2019, 09:36 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 09:33 PM)grympy Wrote:

SO I believe. Possibly why they are protected in many countries and  I just answered my own question about damage.

(10-29-2019, 09:47 PM)grympy Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 09:36 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 09:33 PM)grympy Wrote:  I don't understand . What damage exactly? Is there scientific consensus about such damage?  Just asking

SO I believe. Possibly why they are protected in many countries and  I just answered my own question about damage.

Ships used to stop in the Galapagos and catch a bunch of those big turtles. They would stash them in the ship's hold on their backs. They didn't need to feed or water them because the turtles were that tough. They could last up to several months before be slaughtered and carved up for dinner.

There are very few, if any, of those big guys left now. (Haven't checked lately.)
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • grympy

(10-29-2019, 09:56 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 09:47 PM)grympy Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 09:36 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The turtles make good eating.

Ships used to stop in the Galapagos and catch a bunch of those big turtles. They would stash them in the ship's hold on their backs. They didn't need to feed or water them because the turtles were that tough. They could last up to several months before be slaughtered and carved up for dinner.

There are very few, if any, of those big guys left now. (Haven't checked lately.)

Yair. Early sailors ate the  Dodo bird into extinction  It is also thought the Australian aborigines hunted some of our mega fauna  to extinction.  I think most likely the ones which  were slow, delicious,  and not very dangerous. Just  like the Dodo  and the Galapagos  turtle.
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

I thought that it was imported pigs that ate all the dodos. Doesn't matter, in the end analysis, though. Gone is gone, and mankind brought the pigs, in any event.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(10-30-2019, 01:21 AM)Fireball Wrote: I thought that it was imported pigs that ate all the dodos. Doesn't matter, in the end analysis, though. Gone is gone, and mankind brought the pigs, in any event.
I've read about the pigs as well. But fifty+ years of reading history has taught me to wait-and-see.

God hates cute little koalas also.

https://apnews.com/6cd1724ab22644139a011ce043e9247e
FILE - In this Sept. 1, 2011, file photo, two Koalas climb a tree at a zoo in Sydney, Australia. Conservationists fear hundreds of koalas have perished in wildfires that have razed prime habitat on Australia’s east coast. (AP Photo/Rob Griffith, File)

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Conservationists fear hundreds of koalas have perished in wildfires that have razed prime habitat on Australia’s east coast.

Port Macquarie Koala Hospital President Sue Ashton said she hoped wildlife carers would be allowed to begin their search of the fire zone for survivors on Thursday. The fire was started by a lightning strike on Friday in a forest in New South Wales state, 300 kilometers (190 miles) north of Sydney, and has since burnt 2,000 hectares (4,900 acres).

Two-thirds of that area was koala habitat, Ashton said.

“If we look at a 50% survival rate, that’s around about 350 koalas and that’s absolutely devastating,” Ashton said of the death toll.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

One of the best pictures EVER. (Old photo, not from the event in the OP.)

[Image: koala_1294264c.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Dānu

I'm sad just thinking about it, my son had a cuddly toy seal who he was practically surgically attached to so our family learned to love baby seals but at least they died of natural causes and not at the end of a Canadians club.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast

(10-30-2019, 10:52 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: God  hates cute little koalas also.

https://apnews.com/6cd1724ab22644139a011ce043e9247e
FILE - In this Sept. 1, 2011, file photo, two Koalas climb a tree at a zoo in Sydney, Australia. Conservationists fear hundreds of koalas have perished in wildfires that have razed prime habitat on Australia’s east coast. (AP Photo/Rob Griffith, File)

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Conservationists fear hundreds of koalas have perished in wildfires that have razed prime habitat on Australia’s east coast.

Port Macquarie Koala Hospital President Sue Ashton said she hoped wildlife carers would be allowed to begin their search of the fire zone for survivors on Thursday. The fire was started by a lightning strike on Friday in a forest in New South Wales state, 300 kilometers (190 miles) north of Sydney, and has since burnt 2,000 hectares (4,900 acres).

Two-thirds of that area was koala habitat, Ashton said.

“If we look at a 50% survival rate, that’s around about 350 koalas and that’s absolutely devastating,” Ashton said of the death toll.

God is a nasty petty vindictive cunt and I wouldn't worship such a being even if he existed, I'd rather burn and know that I'm better than he who is burning me than submit to his despotic rule.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(10-28-2019, 11:36 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a29602436/...rus-scene/

The first episode of David Attenborough's latest docu-series Seven Worlds, One Planet dropped on BBC One this evening (October 27), taking viewers to the “frozen wilderness” of Antarctica.

And it looks like the legendary documentary maker has set a new record, as the show left viewers in streams of tears less than ten minutes in.
While it appeared to be the start of a heartwarming journey, Attenborough warns us that baby seals are unable to swim for the first ten days of their lives. And when a raging blizzard hits the solid ice, the young mums are faced with the toughest decision – to stay with their pups or shelter in the water.
Once the storm has cleared, we’re shown that some of the pups sadly didn’t make it – although there is some hope, as the next clip sees one of the seals and her baby reunited.

Nonetheless, the scenes left fans in floods of tears, taking to social media to express their emotions:

-----

And God didn't bother to help cute baby seals as they slowly freeze to death?  Why not?  (Original sin!  It's all our fault!")
Does this universe seem like one designed by a kindly and loving God, or a mindless material world of nature?

A fine teaching moment.

why do you equate what you wrongfully assume as a premature death as hate?

Why is death immoral to you?

why do you assume everything is entitled to it full potential life span?

Do you even consider how much in the way of resources each life demands? 

If each baby seal grows up and lives a full life 36,500 tons of fish per seal.. times a pod of 15 to 30 seal who can live up to 20 years in the wild. thats 1,095,000 tons per pod/family..

A fish lover who see fish as anything other than food would assume God hates fish...

Why because he like you has a very narrow world view and you find arbertary importance in how the world work in order to maintain balance.

Baby seals die so that whole other family groups do not out strip their fishing grounds and whole families pod die out in starvation.. Or worse yet so that whole regions of the world loose all of the fish that seals eat and whole regions of the word see the end of seals.

This is also true with humanity. but we have stopped the natural culling process and we have seen a population explosion..

with in ne or two generations we will be asking why God lets us all starve? when the answer was he didn't he created death disease and famine to keep our numbers regulated. but we thought we knew better so we ended his regulations and we nuts and strip our planet of everything.

You're fucking god is one shitty planner.  No wonder an asshole like you worships him.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(10-30-2019, 11:15 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: One of the best pictures EVER. (Old photo, not from the event in the OP.)

[Image: koala_1294264c.jpg]

Terrible news about those fires.

Yair, always loved that photo. They are so cute, even to Aussies.

Our Koalas are already in trouble.   

Koalas  are not yet on the endangered list,  BUT, estimate are that there are only about 40,000 left.  The species may be extinct within 30 years-----and THAT is our fault; in the early 1900's they were almost  hunted to extinction for their fur.   Since then of course we have been destroying their habitat on an industrial scale.  

There were about 10 million koalas at the beginning of white settlement . '

There is a small koala colony  in the linear  park about 100 metres or so down the hill from my place. I've only ever seen one there once. Also, during a bad drought, spotted one  in a neighbours  front yard.  (and NO, it wasn't a fucking statue; it moved) 

PS I love kolas to bits, but have never picked one up; they would almost certainly give me fleas, wee on me and possibly scratch. (badly, they have powerful claws)

(10-30-2019, 06:49 PM)Drich Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 11:36 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a29602436/...rus-scene/

The first episode of David Attenborough's latest docu-series Seven Worlds, One Planet dropped on BBC One this evening (October 27), taking viewers to the “frozen wilderness” of Antarctica.

And it looks like the legendary documentary maker has set a new record, as the show left viewers in streams of tears less than ten minutes in.
While it appeared to be the start of a heartwarming journey, Attenborough warns us that baby seals are unable to swim for the first ten days of their lives. And when a raging blizzard hits the solid ice, the young mums are faced with the toughest decision – to stay with their pups or shelter in the water.
Once the storm has cleared, we’re shown that some of the pups sadly didn’t make it – although there is some hope, as the next clip sees one of the seals and her baby reunited.

Nonetheless, the scenes left fans in floods of tears, taking to social media to express their emotions:

-----

And God didn't bother to help cute baby seals as they slowly freeze to death?  Why not?  (Original sin!  It's all our fault!")
Does this universe seem like one designed by a kindly and loving God, or a mindless material world of nature?

A fine teaching moment.

why do you equate what you wrongfully assume as a premature death as hate?

Do you even consider how much in the way of resources each life demands? 

If each baby seal grows up and lives a full life 36,500 tons of fish per seal.. times a pod of 15 to 30 seal who can live up to 20 years in the wild. thats 1,095,000 tons per pod/family..

A fish lover who see fish as anything other than food would assume God hates fish...

Why because he like you has a very narrow world view and you find arbertary importance in how the world work in order to maintain balance.

Baby seals die so that whole other family groups do not out strip their fishing grounds and whole families pod die out in starvation.. Or worse yet so that whole regions of the world loose all of the fish that seals eat and whole regions of the word see the end of seals.

This is also true with humanity. but we have stopped the natural culling process and we have seen a population explosion..

with in ne or two generations we will be asking why God lets us all starve? when the answer was he didn't he created death disease and famine to keep our numbers regulated. but we thought we knew better so we ended his regulations and we nuts and strip our planet of everything.

Isaiah 11
6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
8 And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den.
9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.

What is this cruel God waiting for then?

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Double post deleted

-----

A fine teaching moment.

Anyone whose life has been touched by cancer understands this argument very well.
On hiatus.

(10-30-2019, 06:49 PM)Drich Wrote: why do you equate what you wrongfully assume as a premature death as hate?

I don't think anyone does. Unlike you, we know that survival is random chance.

Quote: 

Death is part of life. Why bring morality into it?

Quote: 

Again, I don't think anyone does, but it's fun watching people like you defending a loving god.

Quote:Do you even consider how much in the way of resources each life demands? 

Lol no, that's up to your imaginary friend. But seeing as though most species have gone extinct, neither has he.

Quote:If each baby seal grows up and lives a full life 36,500 tons of fish per seal.. times a pod of 15 to 30 seal who can live up to 20 years in the wild. thats 1,095,000 tons per pod/family..

That's quite a simple problem for a god to remedy surely? 

Quote:A fish lover who see fish as anything other than food would assume God hates fish...

No. Any rational person would assume god has nothing to do with it.

Quote:Why because he like you has a very narrow world view and you find arbertary importance in how the world work in order to maintain balance.

Sitting behind a screen, defending a book of fairytales is what I'd call having a narrow world view. 

Quote: 

Baby seals die randomly, not because of any master plan to maintain balance.

Quote:This is also true with humanity. but we have stopped the natural culling process and we have seen a population explosion..

Your god could have remedied this by making us less fertile if he existed. Seems that he's not got much of a clue.

Quote: 

You are very far gone aren't you.
He loves me?  Facepalm
The following 3 users Like NorthernBen's post:
  • Gwaithmir, brunumb, TheGentlemanBastard