Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Does God Hate Baby Seals?

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a29602436/...rus-scene/

The first episode of David Attenborough's latest docu-series Seven Worlds, One Planet dropped on BBC One this evening (October 27), taking viewers to the “frozen wilderness” of Antarctica.

And it looks like the legendary documentary maker has set a new record, as the show left viewers in streams of tears less than ten minutes in.
While it appeared to be the start of a heartwarming journey, Attenborough warns us that baby seals are unable to swim for the first ten days of their lives. And when a raging blizzard hits the solid ice, the young mums are faced with the toughest decision – to stay with their pups or shelter in the water.
Once the storm has cleared, we’re shown that some of the pups sadly didn’t make it – although there is some hope, as the next clip sees one of the seals and her baby reunited.

Nonetheless, the scenes left fans in floods of tears, taking to social media to express their emotions:

-----

And God didn't bother to help cute baby seals as they slowly freeze to death?  Why not?  (Original sin!  It's all our fault!")
Does this universe seem like one designed by a kindly and loving God, or a mindless material world of nature?

A fine teaching moment.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 6 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Alan V, Gwaithmir, Unsapien, Phaedrus, Paleophyte, brunumb

Earth is actually baby seal hell. All the bad ones are sent here.
The following 3 users Like no one's post:
  • Minimalist, Paleophyte, mordant

Watch a cheetah kill a newborn Thompson's so she can feed her newborn kits and the whole thing comes into focus.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 4 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • grympy, Paleophyte, Inkubus, Chas

God doesn’t do much for baby turtles, either.  

Nature red in tooth and claw should do so much to dissuade humans from accepting the axiom of a good or benevolent god.  But no.
god, ugh
The following 3 users Like julep's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Gwaithmir, Paleophyte

(10-29-2019, 12:01 AM)julep Wrote: God doesn’t do much for baby turtles, either.  

Nature red in tooth and claw should do so much to dissuade humans from accepting the axiom of a good or benevolent god.  But no.

One of my friends runs interference for the green sea turtles that hatch out near his Florida home. He uses a weedeater to dissuade the gulls. Turns out that if he kills one the gulls go after it instead of the turtles. Shy
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • julep

(10-29-2019, 12:03 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 12:01 AM)julep Wrote: God doesn’t do much for baby turtles, either.  

One of my friends runs interference for the green sea turtles that hatch out near his Florida home. He uses a weedeater to dissuade the gulls. Turns out that if he kills one the gulls go after it instead of the turtles.  Shy

More meat, not moving.  Makes sense.
god, ugh
The following 1 user Likes julep's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

the god of the big book does not care about animals anyway, they were put here to serve man.

Isaiah 11
6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
8 And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den.
9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.

So what is God waiting for?

(10-28-2019, 11:57 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Watch a cheetah kill a newborn Thompson's so she can feed her newborn kits and the whole thing comes into focus.

Just so.  Watch a group of men kill baby  seals with clubs, for their fur. Things out of focus again .

More nature: 

The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

This is exactly why I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to graze on fungus and grass.

Meat, baby!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball, grympy, Gawdzilla Sama

You mean you never stalked a banana?

The following 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Fireball, Gawdzilla Sama, mordant

Do you want to know what is really scary?

lucifer is really just four baby seals in a meat suit.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

It's clear that if God exists he's either a total sadist, just plain incompetent or he just thinks that the song Kiss From a Rose sucks and he's a little confused about who wrote it.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.

Because, just like atheists, God thinks babies are delicious.
The following 1 user Likes epronovost's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

(10-29-2019, 12:51 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: You mean you never stalked a banana?

Define "banana."
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

Banana N - A fruit for comfort.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Fireball, Gawdzilla Sama

(10-28-2019, 11:36 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a29602436/...rus-scene/

The first episode of David Attenborough's latest docu-series Seven Worlds, One Planet dropped on BBC One this evening (October 27), taking viewers to the “frozen wilderness” of Antarctica.

And it looks like the legendary documentary maker has set a new record, as the show left viewers in streams of tears less than ten minutes in.
While it appeared to be the start of a heartwarming journey, Attenborough warns us that baby seals are unable to swim for the first ten days of their lives. And when a raging blizzard hits the solid ice, the young mums are faced with the toughest decision – to stay with their pups or shelter in the water.
Once the storm has cleared, we’re shown that some of the pups sadly didn’t make it – although there is some hope, as the next clip sees one of the seals and her baby reunited.

Nonetheless, the scenes left fans in floods of tears, taking to social media to express their emotions:

-----

And God didn't bother to help cute baby seals as they slowly freeze to death?  Why not?  (Original sin!  It's all our fault!")
Does this universe seem like one designed by a kindly and loving God, or a mindless material world of nature?

A fine teaching moment.

To Hell with God.

Grab a club and follow me out on the ice shelf  ...
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org
The following 1 user Likes Free's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

I can't believe the film crew didn't grabem up for a snack. What a waste.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

(10-29-2019, 01:38 AM)Free Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 11:36 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a29602436/...rus-scene/

-----

A fine teaching moment.

To Hell with God.

[Image: EuxBW2e.jpg]
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

-----

A fine teaching moment.

To Hell with God.

Why would I do that if you were right there? 

Ya never know what  you might eat until you're hungry enough ---------The history of the nineteenth  century Irish famines are replete with stories of cannibalism, especially of babies. 

The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Dancefortwo

(10-29-2019, 02:12 AM)Fireball Wrote:

-----

A fine teaching moment.

To Hell with God.

[Image: EuxBW2e.jpg]

lol ... the reality is I actually was there when Greenpeace came protesting the yearly seal hunt back in the 1970s. Contrary to what they said, the point of the seal hunt and killing the baby seals was not to get their furs. It was to the decline the seal population in Atlantic Canada because they ate all the fish. The reasons the baby seals were targeted was because they were easy prey.

But as the movement went forward, and laws against the seal hunt were made, the seal population increased dramatically, and put an entire fishing industry out of business. The seals also caused a lot of damage to netting and other fishing gear. 

All of that was accomplished because Greenpeace cherry picked a couple videos in which a seal was not killed by a single blow, and instead showed repeated footage of a couple seals that were able to survive as many as 5 or 6 blows. The reality is, the vast majority of the seals (98%) were, in fact, killed with a single blow, very humanely.

Taking the seal pelts was just an added bonus, but was not the only objective, at least not for us. Other seal hunters collected the pelts as a living though.

And yes, I killed seals, and have no shame about it at all.
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org
The following 3 users Like Free's post:
  • Alan V, Gwaithmir, jerryg

It was all hunky dory.
Then whats-his-name rebelled.
Then Jesus redeemed the fallen universe.
Then all was well.

Oh wait.
Test

One of my friends runs interference for the green sea turtles that hatch out near his Florida home. He uses a weedeater to dissuade the gulls. Turns out that if he kills one the gulls go after it instead of the turtles.  Shy

Maybe next time, he can set out a few paper bowls of dry cat food to draw the seagulls away from the turtles?

(10-29-2019, 05:36 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:

Maybe next time, he can set out a few paper bowls of dry cat food to draw the seagulls away from the turtles?
You have no idea of how many seagulls show up. Panic

Probably as many as were following our boat back to port in y2k. A group of us had gone deep sea fishing on a charter, and the crew was cleaning our fish and throwing the entrails off the stern. That "flock" would have made good stock footage for a remake of "The Birds", ala Alfred Hitchcock.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.