Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Will Piss Off The Jesus Freaks

What!  No Garden of Eden!!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-50210701

Quote:Origin of modern humans 'traced to Botswana'

Of course, they are still arguing about it but the issue is "where in Africa?"  No one except blithering morons look in the Middle East.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • grympy, Phaedrus, Logisch

Well within the area called "the Cradle of Humanity", I think.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  

Depends on who is defining "East Africa" I imagine.  Botswana is a long way from Olduvai Gorge.  Still, every idea advances the cause.  Let's face it, religion hasn't had a new idea in a long time.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Inkubus

(10-28-2019, 07:36 PM)Minimalist Wrote: What!  No Garden of Eden!!!

Of course, they are still arguing about it but the issue is "where in Africa?"  No one except blithering morons look in the Middle East.

god had not transmogrified them into true humans yet.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Minimalist

(10-28-2019, 08:25 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Depends on who is defining "East Africa" I imagine.  Botswana is a long way from Olduvai Gorge.  Still, every idea advances the cause.  Let's face it, religion hasn't had a new idea in a long time.

I meant that literally. https://www.google.com/maps/search/the+c....74z?hl=en

Or they will just shrug and declare it satanic conspiracy.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

(10-28-2019, 07:36 PM)Minimalist Wrote: What!  No Garden of Eden!!!

Fascinating. I've long understood that humans originated in Africa, not the middle East.

Yesterday, I saw a short clip on Youtube about the  Saharan dessert . The claim is that the area, the size of the  contiguous US, was green only 5000 years ago.   

I haven't posted a clip because I've only been able to find several long docos. I haven't seen any of the long ones, so have no idea if they're any good. Nor do I know for sure that the figure of only 5000 is accurate,. good place to start I guess. I'll download a few and watch them at leisure.

There are "cave paintings" of hippo, crocs, and the like, in a spot in the middle of the Sahara. I concur with your post, Min.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Alan V

(10-28-2019, 09:07 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Or they will just shrug and declare it satanic conspiracy.

Bingo!

WHOOPS!
Fritzed.

I saw satellite imagery which detected vast, dried up river systems and lakes in the Sahara.  It was a lush savanna until about 5-6,000 BC as a result of the neolithic subpluvial phase.  I have seen some informed speculation that the population growth in the Nile Valley came about because the drying of the sahara forced people to head for a reliable water source.  This led to the development of Egyptian civilization.

There is also some interesting work which suggests that some structures in Ancient Egypt were built before or during this wet period.  Its the kind of thing that drives the Egyptology Club nuts!