Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humans will be extinct in 100 years

According to eminent scientist

Quote:One of the world’s leading scientists, Professor Frank Fenner, has made a grim prediction: He says that humans will be completely WIPED OUT in 100 years, as overpopulation and environmental destruction will cause humans to become extinct in a matter of years.

Fenner is an eminent microbiologist at the Australian National University blames “unbridled consumption” and the “population explosion” as the key reasons why the human race will not survive to see 2100 and beyond.

Deadpan Coffee Drinker
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • SYZ

I watched a special last night on the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic.  Ghastly.  Nature has a way.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus, Alan V, skyking

(10-28-2019, 02:00 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: According to eminent scientist

Quote:One of the world’s leading scientists, Professor Frank Fenner, has made a grim prediction: He says that humans will be completely WIPED OUT in 100 years, as overpopulation and environmental destruction will cause humans to become extinct in a matter of years.

Fenner is an eminent microbiologist at the Australian National University blames “unbridled consumption” and the “population explosion” as the key reasons why the human race will not survive to see 2100 and beyond.

Deadpan Coffee Drinker

--- and exactly who is   Professor Frank Fenner  and why should I  believe  him?  Because he's "one of  the world's leading scientists?  (fallacy; argument from authority) 

Last time I came a cross that line was when some one referred to Richard Dawkins as  a'  leading evolutionary biologist' (he ain't) 

Before accepting Professor Fenner's  alarmist views I want to see his evidence. 

This is all academic to me, you understand. In 100 years I will have been dead for at least 80 years, so don't care.   Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Fenner died in 2010.

(10-28-2019, 02:02 AM)Minimalist Wrote: I watched a special last night on the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic.  Ghastly.  Nature has a way.

[Image: signature%20The-Ascension-of-Iweko.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Minimalist, Thumpalumpacus

(10-28-2019, 03:50 AM)grympy Wrote:   --- and exactly who is   Professor Frank Fenner  and why should I  believe  him?  Because he's "one of  the world's leading scientists?  (fallacy; argument from authority)

Uh... you don't even know who the bloke was, as an Aussie?  But you're more than happy to dismiss his
opinions on environmental sciences?

And to claim that Fenner's posit is incorrect, you erroneously describe it as an "argument from authority".
Nope.  His was an argument based on decades of scientifics experience and investigation—even ignoring
the numerous senior positions he held across the planet.    His was an argument from knowledge.

He was awarded honours multiple times for his research; Macfarlane Burnet Medal and Lecture of the Australian
Academy of Science, Copley medal of the Royal Society, Albert Einstein World Award of Science, Clunies Ross
Lifetime Contribution National Science and Technology Award, the WHO Medal and numerous others.

Your choice to disbelieve his 100-year human destruction claim is of course yours to make, but to claim that
you know better and reject his opinion outright is folly.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • brunumb

I am reminded of the way The Stand ended.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(10-28-2019, 08:53 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 03:50 AM)grympy Wrote:   --- and exactly who is   Professor Frank Fenner  and why should I  believe  him?  Because he's "one of  the world's leading scientists?  (fallacy; argument from authority)

Uh... you don't even know who the bloke was, as an Aussie?  But you're more than happy to dismiss his
opinions on environmental sciences?

And to claim that Fenner's posit is incorrect, you erroneously describe it as an "argument from authority".
Nope.  His was an argument based on decades of scientifics experience and investigation—even ignoring
the numerous senior positions he held across the planet.    His was an argument from knowledge.

He was awarded honours multiple times for his research; Macfarlane Burnet Medal and Lecture of the Australian
Academy of Science, Copley medal of the Royal Society, Albert Einstein World Award of Science, Clunies Ross
Lifetime Contribution National Science and Technology Award, the WHO Medal and numerous others.

Your choice to disbelieve his 100-year human destruction claim is of course yours to make, but to claim that
you know better and reject his opinion outright is folly.

No, I didn't know him, and stop trying to bully me.  Ignorance  is not an offence. Nor is it up to you to decide who I should know about "as an  Aussie" or anything else. 

I have dismissed nothing and have made no claims.I asked for evidence. That applies no matter who the  person. 

--and please stop trying to bully me with your ad hominem attacks.  This is second time. 

Know what, fuck it. I don't need this shit, you are now on ignore with Drich.

Sounds like all those cryonic people might be fucked.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

I'm not too upset at seeing the humans bugger off, the bulk are just a waste of time anyway.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • grympy

I don't much care for predictions. I think they are incautious since the future keeps changing. If the professor was making a projection based on something a bit more than a generality that "climate change will kill us all," then I might consider what he said seriously. But even then, he would have to make more than one projection based on some important variables.

The human population has already significantly overshot the natural carrying capacity of the planet, so we have been mining our resources for a while now. That means we are damaging the planet, and our population will likely drop at some point within those 100 years to compensate -- overshoot and collapse. Many scientists have known that for years.

But why assume that drop will lead to human extinction? Over-population to extinction in 100 years doesn't sound like a reasonable projection at all. Yes, our present success can lead to future failure, and the Earth will be a different place. I still want to hear the specifics, the assumed mechanism for extinction.
The following 3 users Like Alan V's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, grympy, brunumb

I do think the right bastards will tottle on, in a greatly reduced number. Our current civilization is a tottering pyramid.
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • c172, Thumpalumpacus

EDIT: I had posted a response to Grympy, but then had second thoughts. Obviously if he has me
on "ignore" it'd be a wasted effort as he'd never see it—which would make it kinda pointless.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Gwaithmir

I hope peace eventually breaks out.
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dom, Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus

I doubt I'll live until I'm 131.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.

(10-28-2019, 10:19 AM)Alan V Wrote: I don't much care for predictions.  I think they are incautious since the future keeps changing.  If the professor was making a projection based on something a bit more than a generality that "climate change will kill us all," then I might consider what he said seriously.  But even then, he would have to make more than one projection based on some important variables.

The human population has already significantly overshot the natural carrying capacity of the planet, so we have been mining our resources for a while now.  That means we are damaging the planet, and our population will likely drop at some point within those 100 years to compensate -- overshoot and collapse.  Many scientists have known that for years.

But why assume that drop will lead to human extinction?  Over-population to extinction in 100 years doesn't sound like a reasonable projection at all.  Yes, our present success can lead to future failure, and the Earth will be a different place.  I still want to hear the specifics, the assumed mechanism for extinction.

Also we don't even need to count on over-population for extinction anymore. You just need severe heatwaves and droughts to cause widespread famine, and that could do it, potentially.

(10-28-2019, 02:02 AM)Minimalist Wrote: I watched a special last night on the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic.  Ghastly.  Nature has a way.

Yabut my great uncle was a medic in WW I, died of the Spanish Flu,  yet I'm here.  The strong survive!  Evolution! yay
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

Give me a break. We're not all going to die. I'm sure there are plenty of wealthy, connected, powerful people who will survive literally anything the Earth (or ourselves) can throw at us.

The other 7 billion dying? I can believe that.
"If a person gave away your body to some passerby, you’d be furious. Yet, you hand over your mind to anyone who comes along, so they may abuse you, leaving it disturbed and troubled — have you no shame in that?" 

The following 3 users Like Aegon's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Alan V, jerryg

(10-28-2019, 02:14 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Also we don't even need to count on over-population for extinction anymore. You just need severe heatwaves and droughts to cause widespread famine, and that could do it, potentially.

It's quite easy to follow Fenner's arguments in the original article. There will be wars over food and ressources. There will be wars over migration issues and I'm sure, there will be genocide if less and less regions are suitable to grow food anymore and the people there will try to migrate to more suitable regions that can't provide for as many and try to keep them off their lands.

If that means extinction, I don't know, but I'm sure it will mean an age of warfare and famine.
The following 3 users Like abaris's post:
  • Dom, GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

(10-28-2019, 10:42 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I hope peace eventually breaks out.

Ever the optimist!

Assuming it will happen I won't be around so I don't see reason to care.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • SYZ

(10-28-2019, 03:06 PM)abaris Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 02:14 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Also we don't even need to count on over-population for extinction anymore. You just need severe heatwaves and droughts to cause widespread famine, and that could do it, potentially.

It's quite easy to follow Fenner's arguments in the original article. There will be wars over food and ressources. There will be wars over migration issues and I'm sure, there will be genocide if less and less regions are suitable to grow food anymore and the people there will try to migrate to more suitable regions that can't provide for as many and try to keep them off their lands.

If that means extinction, I don't know, but I'm sure it will mean an age of warfare and famine.

And once again, I am glad I am old.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Alan V

(10-28-2019, 02:21 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

Yabut my great uncle was a medic in WW I, died of the Spanish Flu,  yet I'm here.  The strong survive!  Evolution! yay

Just unimaginable the amount of shit people went through for both world wars...
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Dancefortwo

Meh. The Black Death made peasants valuable.
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Alan V, Dancefortwo

(10-28-2019, 03:14 PM)Szuchow Wrote: Assuming it will happen I won't be around so I don't see reason to care.

That's a strange point of view. Do you currently not care about the deaths of others as well? I guess it wouldn't be strange in that case.
"If a person gave away your body to some passerby, you’d be furious. Yet, you hand over your mind to anyone who comes along, so they may abuse you, leaving it disturbed and troubled — have you no shame in that?"