Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survived my first quarter at school

I haven't announced it formally because I wanted to make it through the first grading quarter in one piece, but I am now a teacher. Don't want to go into too many details, but I'm teaching secondary mathematics. Quarter 1 is finally done and fates have been sealed grades have been finalized.

... and I'm also a meanie pants according to one of my students after I confiscated their cell phone

Congratulations.

Math teachers were never my favorite, though.   Tongue
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Aliza

I enjoyed math up until middle school, seventh grade, and then for some reason I lost all focus on it.

I'm uncertain what secondary mathematics means, and are you an elementary, middle school, high school teacher?
The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • brewerb, Aliza

I don't recall having a female math teacher all thru school. Times have certainly changed for the better.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Aliza

(10-25-2019, 12:32 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: I enjoyed math up until middle school, seventh grade, and then for some reason I lost all focus on it.

I'm uncertain what secondary mathematics means, and are you an elementary, middle school, high school teacher?

"secondary" refers to middle school and high school. I can teach grades 6-12. Another type of teacher would be certified for just the middle grades, and can only work in grades 6-8.  Girl_yes2
The following 2 users Like Aliza's post:
  • Phaedrus, brewerb

Have you figured out which one is crushing on you yet?

[Image: crush.jpg] Tongue

(anyone else hear David Lee Roth?)
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 2 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Aliza, Thumpalumpacus

Congratulations!  

My algebra 2/trig and calculus teachers were among my favorites in high school.
god, ugh
The following 1 user Likes julep's post:
  • Aliza

Subjecting kids to tender mercies of mathematics? I did not thought you capable of that kind of brutality Wink.

Congratulations.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Aliza

Just know that the new English and Math teachers get the most resistance from students. I suspect that that is because they are required to order their minds in ways they haven't had to in the past, or something. I taught HS Math and Physics for two years, and those kids tried all kinds of things to get out of learning. It was a private school which was sort of a haven from public school for a bunch of entertainment industry (Hollywood) brats.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Aliza

At work.

Hug

Heart
The following 1 user Likes Peebothuhlu's post:
  • Aliza

Fantastic Aliza.  Female math teachers are so needed.  You'll inspire other little girls.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Aliza

(10-24-2019, 11:46 PM)Aliza Wrote: I haven't announced it formally because I wanted to make it through the first grading quarter in one piece, but I am now a teacher. Don't want to go into too many details, but I'm teaching secondary mathematics. Quarter 1 is finally done and fates have been sealed grades have been finalized.

... and I'm also a meanie pants according to one of my students after I confiscated their cell phone

@Aliza

Fantastic!

I never passed  Maths after grade 7.

For years I thought I was just  stupid . I only discovered that wasn't true after I finally began university at age 29. 

I was doing symbolic logic, which is a form of algebra.  The lectures and tutorials might just have well been  conducted in Sanskrit.

Long story, but my tutor , a beaut guy, gave me  lessons. 

First  lesson:

Tutor:  What don't you understand?

Me:  Everything.

Ok, starting at lesson one.

After ten minutes he said . 'Ohh, I know what your problem is;   you can't do it if you can't understand it.  I'm like that"

At the end of the term, I passed an open book exam . Seems  I wasn't stupid after all .  I achieved straight A's in every subject at university 

. I suspect my problem may have been related to the way  I was taught, from primary school . I was taught by unqualified religious, and just fell  through the cracks 

----I've tell that story as a cautionary tale, but not in any way as a criticism.

Just so there is no misunderstanding: I think education is a magic bullet , and that teaching is noble profession. That teachers are undervalued in most advance countries, and seriously under paid. 

The West Wing clip below is a favourite. (1.32 minutes)  Gets good from .42 minute.

PS :Jed Bartlett is my favourite American President.
The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • Aliza, Fireball

Way to go, hon!
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Aliza

(10-24-2019, 11:46 PM)Aliza Wrote: ... and I'm also a meanie pants according to one of my students after I confiscated their cell phone

Great way to supplement your salary!

Show ContentSpoiler:
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • grympy

(10-24-2019, 11:46 PM)Aliza Wrote: I'm also a meanie pants according to one of my students after I confiscated their cell phone

Think nothing of it.  My husband is a teacher and he confiscates their cell phones all the time.  It's especially important  during a test when students look up the answers on their cell phones.  Another thing they do is text another student who has already taken the test to get the answers.  Then they have wifi ear buds that are almost invisible and if they have long hair they can cover up the buds and get the answers that way.  Cell phones are a big problem in schools everywhere.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Mark, Aliza

(10-25-2019, 07:26 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(10-24-2019, 11:46 PM)Aliza Wrote: I'm also a meanie pants according to one of my students after I confiscated their cell phone

Think nothing of it.  My husband is a teacher and he confiscates their cell phones all the time.  It's especially important  during a test when students look up the answers on their cell phones.  Another thing they do is text another student who has already taken the test to get the answers.  Then they have wifi ear buds that are almost invisible and if they have long hair they can cover up the buds and get the answers that way.  Cell phones are a big problem in schools everywhere.

Sheesh. In my school  we were not allowed to use slide rules in an exam. Biros were not permitted at all . My dad complained that we were allowed to use fountain pens. (really) When was this?  Oh, about  1958.  Tongue

I.T. makes me feel REALLY old. 

Sitting on my computer desk I have a  calculator 12 x 10 cm. The screen is angled up for easy reading .It is solar/light powered. I don't know how to use all of its functions-----Hong Kong 1990 $A10.  Everyone at work was really jealous.  (by that time I had been using a WANG DOS network at work for 8 years)
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Aliza

I did terribly at math. Even had to take it again in summer school, which I failed, partly thanks to some bullies. Always wanted to learn more of it but... requires a lot of focus. But yeah, fuck bullies.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Aliza

I never liked math, but i always was pretty good at it Girl_yes2 which generated lots of envy from those of my buddies who didnt like math either but who sucked at it. girl blushing
R.I.P. Hannes

I tutored middle & high school students in math for some years.  Teaching a motivated student was a joy, getting someone motivated was hugely satisfying.  Being unable to reach one was deeply frustrating and sad; that only happened once.

My undergrad degree is in mathematics, but almost wasn't.

I hope you get to experience seeing the lights come on in the eyes of your students, Aliza. Thumbs Up
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 4 users Like Chas's post:
  • Deesse23, Aliza, Fireball, brewerb