Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientists have trained rats to drive tiny cars to collect food

https://www.newscientist.com/article/222...lect-food/

Quote:Rats have mastered the art of driving a tiny car, suggesting their brains are more flexible than we thought. The finding could be used to understand how learning new skills relieves stress and how neurological and psychiatric conditions affect mental capabilities.

We know that rodents can learn to recognise objects, press bars and find their way around mazes. These tests are often used to study how brain conditions affect cognitive function, but they only capture a narrow window of animal cognition, says Kelly Lambert at the University of Richmond.

Lambert and her colleagues wondered if rats could learn the more sophisticated task of operating a moving vehicle.

Has science gone too far?
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Deesse23

If we can train them to drive well enough, maybe we can sit back while they drive in the daily rat race to work.   Big Grin
The following 4 users Like Fireball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, grympy, Mathilda, Paleophyte

Do they know the way to the Cheesecake Factory ?
Can they text and drive ?
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, brewerb

The scientists just wanted to see rats crash and burn. Same as NASCAR, just cheaper.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

They can't be any worse than swarms of mindless zombies that inhabit these parts.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Fireball

Rats are smart. 

I have always said that we are stupid not to try to establish more knowledge about how other animals process information, they do think, draw conclusions, alter behavior, unless overcome by instinctual reactions. Just like us apes.  They also have skills we don't have, some have better eyes, others have better hearing, or sense of smell...

It is likely, for instance, that dogs can sniff out many types of diseases before they manifest themselves. There is just no way we can help them sort that information and give it to us, probably because we don't bother to try to see things their way.

Like when you track with a dog, they tell you that a person or thing or animal has been here. The dog also knows when and many other things about that person etc., but we can't ask for the info.

Seems to me to be a serious omission. Animals could make our lives so much easier if we could access their knowledge.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, brewerb

(10-22-2019, 10:12 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: https://www.newscientist.com/article/222...lect-food/

Quote:Rats have mastered the art of driving a tiny car, suggesting their brains are more flexible than we thought. The finding could be used to understand how learning new skills relieves stress and how neurological and psychiatric conditions affect mental capabilities.

We know that rodents can learn to recognise objects, press bars and find their way around mazes. These tests are often used to study how brain conditions affect cognitive function, but they only capture a narrow window of animal cognition, says Kelly Lambert at the University of Richmond.

Lambert and her colleagues wondered if rats could learn the more sophisticated task of operating a moving vehicle.

This is not exactly "news."

[Image: 55dd45c1b67215c1a0342846ba2c9421.jpg]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(10-22-2019, 10:12 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: https://www.newscientist.com/article/222...lect-food/

If we can train them to bring me a hot pizza out here at 11pm, I'm good.
"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?" -- Frank Herbert
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(10-23-2019, 01:12 AM)Dom Wrote: Rats are smart. 

I have always said that we are stupid not to try to establish more knowledge about how other animals process information, they do think, draw conclusions, alter behavior, unless overcome by instinctual reactions. Just like us apes.  They also have skills we don't have, some have better eyes, others have better hearing, or sense of smell...

It is likely, for instance, that dogs can sniff out many types of diseases before they manifest themselves. There is just no way we can help them sort that information and give it to us, probably because we don't bother to try to see things their way.

Like when you track with a dog, they tell you that a person or thing or animal has been here. The dog also knows when and many other things about that person etc., but we can't ask for the info.

Seems to me to be a serious omission. Animals could make our lives so much easier if we could access their knowledge.

We've got both our dogs thru two of the three ACK levels for tracking champion(s). Sorry, couldn't help bragging a bit. 

I should probably apologize for this also.

[Image: giphy.gif]
The following 4 users Like brewerb's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Deesse23, Dom, Paleophyte

(10-22-2019, 11:31 PM)brewerb Wrote: The scientists just wanted to see rats crash and burn. Same as NASCAR, just cheaper.

When I was in my teens, there was a local raceway.  They had stock car and midget races. I went once.   As fate would have it, a guy in a midget was killed.  I left and never went back. 

Also paid to see the 1969 Singapore Grand Prix. Sitting in the stands, a tropical sun above. Every few minutes there would be a lot of zooming  as the cars flashed by. I lasted half an hour ,then  went to a bar, with girls .This was a high class joint; if you bought a girl a few drinks, she would take you out the back and jerk you off.  There was no charge for the abrasion on your dick.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

I really tried hard not to click on this thread....but here I am.
                                                         T4618
The following 2 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Inkubus

(10-23-2019, 04:08 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I really tried hard not to click on this thread....but here I am.

What drove you away from it? Big Grin

(10-23-2019, 02:23 AM)brewerb Wrote: We've got both our dogs thru two of the three ACK levels for tracking champion(s). Sorry, couldn't help bragging a bit. 

Smiles and looks up at the tracking trophy my dog Ingo (RIP) won for me in Schutzhund. Tracking is cool, brag away, 2 dogs at level 2 is impressive.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

(10-23-2019, 12:03 PM)Dom Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 02:23 AM)brewerb Wrote: We've got both our dogs thru two of the three ACK levels for tracking champion(s). Sorry, couldn't help bragging a bit. 

Smiles and looks up at the tracking trophy my dog Ingo (RIP) won for me in Schutzhund. Tracking is cool, brag away, 2 dogs at level 2 is impressive.

Very nice, congrats.

OK, twist my arm, a bit more bragging. The wife is running the tracking test at the ABTC National in May and the AKC National Tracking Invitational in 2020.
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Dom

(10-23-2019, 04:13 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 04:08 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I really tried hard not to click on this thread....but here I am.

What drove you away from it? Big Grin

There was just a whisker of a chance that I might be run over by their car.
                                                         T4618
  • Fireball, GenesisNemesis

Who knows? You might be able to squeak by.
The following 2 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Dancefortwo, GenesisNemesis

Pinky and Brain dream is one step closer to being made real.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
The following 3 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • Dancefortwo, GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus

Flash: Six of the rats are dead in a multi-tinycar pileup. The Rat Patrol states that one of the drivers was texting at the time of the accident.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Bucky Ball, GenesisNemesis, Dancefortwo

(10-23-2019, 05:26 PM)Fireball Wrote: Who knows? You might be able to squeak by.

[Image: 3ffd905344cc06f53bd4485098d94bcc.jpg]
The following 4 users Like Inkubus's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Fireball, Dancefortwo, Thumpalumpacus

(10-22-2019, 10:12 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: Rats have mastered the art of driving a tiny car,
I knew this since the first day i passed Frankfurt international airport on the highway, on my way to work.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker
"No, officer, i legitimately believed they were real rats. Have a look at this article"  Angel
cetero censeo religionem esse delendam 

Uber ==> Ratber
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  

I wonder if they can be trained to pick up hitchhiking cockroaches and drop them off at Trump Tower.   "TAXI !!!"
                                                         T4618
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Fireball

I won't be surprised to learn that their city street-plans will be filled with lots of blind turns and dead-ends.
"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?" -- Frank Herbert

(10-24-2019, 02:46 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I wonder if they can be trained to pick up hitchhiking cockroaches and drop them off at Trump Tower.   "TAXI !!!"

They'd be afraid of the competition from the two-legged rats therein.
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • Dancefortwo

And what about the cats and the dogs? Put them in the robot and bring them on down to Duke Of Madness Motors and we will outfit each with a autorobot of their own so they can get out and see more of it also.

Firesign Theater - Dear Friends - Duke Of Madness Motors
Sitting in the club car of the hell bound train.