Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else tried posting on a general "religious debates" forum?

(10-18-2019, 10:45 PM)mordant Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 05:34 PM)SYZ Wrote: Which prompts me to ask you:  Why can't you theists keep your fucking noses out of everybody else's business?  What
gives you people the right to dictate to others what moral paths they should take, when your own paths are historically
littered with death, despair, and destruction?

In my experience and observation this is connected with the concept of corporate guilt -- the notion that god punishes not just individuals, but families, tribes, and nations. If you buy into this, and too many of your fellow citizens are "sinning", then it creates anxiety that you might be punished for their sins, for insufficiently opposing them and thus "condoning" them, and this makes you controlling of these "sinners".

At least then they may perhaps learn the immorality of group guilt and judgement. Good.

[Image: GRUMPY_CAT_13436093-720x445.jpg]

Let them ponder the justice of it.
"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?" -- Frank Herbert
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • mordant

(10-20-2019, 11:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 10:45 PM)mordant Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 05:34 PM)SYZ Wrote: Which prompts me to ask you:  Why can't you theists keep your fucking noses out of everybody else's business?  What
gives you people the right to dictate to others what moral paths they should take, when your own paths are historically
littered with death, despair, and destruction?

In my experience and observation this is connected with the concept of corporate guilt -- the notion that god punishes not just individuals, but families, tribes, and nations. If you buy into this, and too many of your fellow citizens are "sinning", then it creates anxiety that you might be punished for their sins, for insufficiently opposing them and thus "condoning" them, and this makes you controlling of these "sinners".

At least then they may perhaps learn the immorality of group guilt and judgement. Good.

More like the INjustice, but I'm afraid that this belief is so ingrained they are scarcely aware of it. It's part of the fundamental Zeitgeist of their existence; it is just assumed to be part of reality. I've been out of that world for a generation now and it's only the past few years it dawned on me the connection between corporate guilt and our need to constantly meddle and be impertinent and disrespectful toward others. I recall that back in the day, it was there, it was a felt need, a compulsion even, but I had no idea where it came from. We were taught to attribute it to "having a burden for souls" or some such arrogant rubbish. From this springs "hate the sin, love the sinner" and other incoherent nonsense.

Another thing that plays into it is the notion of "spiritual warfare", which is basically the idea that there is an unseen battle between good and evil all around us. You can buy into that on numerous levels; you don't have to buy into the superstitious need to defend against demons or something. But if you combine this notion with corporate guilt, it's really a toxic stew. Corporate guilt is the fire, and spiritual warfare is the accelerant. You are afraid of god (that he might judge you complacent and therefore complicit about the sinful state of your society), you are afraid of Satan (that you will leave him an opening to get past god's "umbrella of protection" and lead you astray), and you are afraid of your fellow man (that they will pull down society around your ears). It is all about fear: fear of punishment, of calamity, of everything turning to shit, basically, and it's all your fault somehow. But it's also about power and self-importance: you are a warrior in a valiant army, you are the salt of the earth, you have a starring role in your own drama on a cosmic stage. Your righteous indignation will save the world.

But for me it was a house of cards; when everything turned to shit for me ANYWAY, there was no longer anything to fear. "Beware the man with nothing to lose", goes the old saying. There was no divine justice or protection, and nothing in particular to fear from what I had been taught were the depraved "unchurched" people. I realized that I was in fact part of a larger community of fellow humans, most of whom in fact had their shit together a lot better than my fellow Christians, and often had much more of a clue about reality. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It was a death and a liberation all at the same time.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • julep

(10-21-2019, 12:15 AM)mordant Wrote:
(10-20-2019, 11:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 10:45 PM)mordant Wrote: In my experience and observation this is connected with the concept of corporate guilt -- the notion that god punishes not just individuals, but families, tribes, and nations. If you buy into this, and too many of your fellow citizens are "sinning", then it creates anxiety that you might be punished for their sins, for insufficiently opposing them and thus "condoning" them, and this makes you controlling of these "sinners".

More like the INjustice, but I'm afraid that this belief is so ingrained they are scarcely aware of it. It's part of the fundamental Zeitgeist of their existence; it is just assumed to be part of reality. I've been out of that world for a generation now and it's only the past few years it dawned on me the connection between corporate guilt and our need to constantly meddle and be impertinent and disrespectful toward others. I recall that back in the day, it was there, it was a felt need, a compulsion even, but I had no idea where it came from. We were taught to attribute it to "having a burden for souls" or some such arrogant rubbish. From this springs "hate the sin, love the sinner" and other incoherent nonsense.

Another thing that plays into it is the notion of "spiritual warfare", which is basically the idea that there is an unseen battle between good and evil all around us. You can buy into that on numerous levels; you don't have to buy into the superstitious need to defend against demons or something. But if you combine this notion with corporate guilt, it's really a toxic stew. Corporate guilt is the fire, and spiritual warfare is the accelerant. You are afraid of god (that he might judge you complacent and therefore complicit about the sinful state of your society), you are afraid of Satan (that you will leave him an opening to get past god's "umbrella of protection" and lead you astray), and you are afraid of your fellow man (that they will pull down society around your ears). It is all about fear: fear of punishment, of calamity, of everything turning to shit, basically, and it's all your fault somehow. But it's also about power and self-importance: you are a warrior in a valiant army, you are the salt of the earth, you have a starring role in your own drama on a cosmic stage. Your righteous indignation will save the world.

But for me it was a house of cards; when everything turned to shit for me ANYWAY, there was no longer anything to fear. "Beware the man with nothing to lose", goes the old saying. There was no divine justice or protection, and nothing in particular to fear from what I had been taught were the depraved "unchurched" people. I realized that I was in fact part of a larger community of fellow humans, most of whom in fact had their shit together a lot better than my fellow Christians, and often had much more of a clue about reality. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It was a death and a liberation all at the same time.

Glad you found your way out of it. Perhaps more will once they realize that they're no more "saved" than any other person, they're no less flawed, they're just another asshole like you and I trying to make the best of a bad situation.

If it takes them thinking they've been judged as us "fallen", great. That broad-brush sucks once it has painted you. Those who ask perfection of others ought to demonstrate it themselves. Until they do, I'm perfectly happy to show them how they as well are just as full of shit.

It's not like they are unaware of that, anyway; they just think that the cloak of religiosity shields them from the stink of humanity. It doesn't, and they shouldn't have their illusions unquestioned.

"You're 'saved'? That's nice. But what did you do today to earn it?" The self-righteous should always face that question.
"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?" -- Frank Herbert
  • mordant

(10-21-2019, 01:07 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: "You're 'saved'? That's nice. But what did you do today to earn it?" The self-righteous should always face that question.

Oh we made much of the notion that salvation is a gift of grace, and un-earned. We saw that as a virtue and in fact as an antidote against boasting. And we did this with a straight face, while boasting of it ;-)

Fundamentalism is a funhouse hall of mirrors.
The following 3 users Like mordant's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dānu, Chas

(10-21-2019, 01:31 AM)mordant Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 01:07 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: "You're 'saved'? That's nice. But what did you do today to earn it?" The self-righteous should always face that question.

Oh we made much of the notion that salvation is a gift of grace, and un-earned. We saw that as a virtue and in fact as an antidote against boasting. And we did this with a straight face, while boasting of it ;-)

I was a Baptist but not a fundamentalist.

(10-15-2019, 12:23 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: Once again, I decided to try religious forums, and as usual I just end up disappointed.

I largely gave up these types of things after a few Facebook groups in 2014 or so.

(10-15-2019, 12:23 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: Anywho, I was wondering, have you attempted to venture beyond the atheist paradise to post on a non-atheist forum?

I actually found this place (well, TTA) after getting soft-banned from worthychristianforums and decided to look for an atheist forum. I legit got soft-banned (had posting privileges removed) for being too nice. I was seen as a threat for being too reasonable, and they were worried I was going to pull sheep from the flock.
The following 4 users Like RobbyPants's post:
  • Phaedrus, Deesse23, Dānu, Thumpalumpacus

(10-21-2019, 03:48 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 01:31 AM)mordant Wrote:

Yup, "fundamentalist" and "evangelical" and "Baptist" are all not very exact labels. I was not suggesting what you were, just explaining what I was and how I understand it now.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(10-18-2019, 02:57 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 09:06 PM)Dānu Wrote: Drich has morphed from a common garden variety moron to a dishonest and despicable troll with repulsive lies and propaganda over the years.  He deserves the same bit bucket as Draino, our professional troll.

I put him on ignore the moment he got here. 

Life is too short to have to scroll past that much bullshit.

Of course, so many quote him that the stink of his bullshit permeates the forum anyway. Facepalm
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 2 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Dānu

(10-21-2019, 06:49 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 02:57 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 09:06 PM)Dānu Wrote: Drich has morphed from a common garden variety moron to a dishonest and despicable troll with repulsive lies and propaganda over the years.  He deserves the same bit bucket as Draino, our professional troll.

I put him on ignore the moment he got here. 

Life is too short to have to scroll past that much bullshit.

Of course, so many quote him that the stink of his bullshit permeates the forum anyway. Facepalm

Yeah, I'm reduced to scrolling at that point. But it's at a reduced level and really worth it!
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(10-21-2019, 06:17 PM)mordant Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 03:48 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 01:31 AM)mordant Wrote: Oh we made much of the notion that salvation is a gift of grace, and un-earned. We saw that as a virtue and in fact as an antidote against boasting. And we did this with a straight face, while boasting of it ;-)

Yup, "fundamentalist" and "evangelical" and "Baptist" are all not very exact labels. I was not suggesting what you were, just explaining what I was and how I understand it now.

I hear you, I was just giving my own background, not trying to "correct" you, as it wasn't necessary.
  • mordant

Apparently a little theistic twat was so threatened by me, that he had to have a post of mine over-analyzed in order to claim it offended his maggoty sensitivities. I got a warning, which should make him a happy little bitch. So I logged out, without saying anything, and I have decided I have more freedom to express myself in Facebook groups than I do at that overly religious haven for imbeciles.

Is there some trick to navigating that POS website?

(10-28-2019, 08:36 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: Apparently a little theistic twat was so threatened by me, that he had to have a post of mine over-analyzed in order to claim it offended his maggoty sensitivities. I got a warning, which should make him a happy little bitch. So I logged out, without saying anything, and I have decided I have more freedom to express myself in Facebook groups than I do at that overly religious haven for imbeciles.

Really? I haven't been there for long, but most people seem fairly reasonnable and open minded. Sure, there are a few cranks, fundies and a couple of weirdo too, but overall the place isn't crawling with bigots from my first impression.

I stopped going to such places after my deconversion. There was a place and time where I spent a lot of effort debating and hoping people could or would change. However, with time, I've come to realize a lot of those places tend to just be places people go for echo chambers. I don't really debate much anymore, just more interested in getting to know like minded people who are free from all the daily bullcrap of religion.
The following 3 users Like Logisch's post:
  • Phaedrus, Alan V, Gwaithmir

(10-30-2019, 07:09 AM)Logisch Wrote: I stopped going to such places after my deconversion.  There was a place and time where I spent a lot of effort debating and hoping people could or would change.  However, with time, I've come to realize a lot of those places tend to just be places people go for echo chambers.  I don't really debate much anymore, just more interested in getting to know like minded people who are free from all the daily bullcrap of religion.

That makes sense.  Nod

Such a vicious, conniving staff they have.

I posted to a thread, and then suddenly after I received my warning the thread was moved to an area where I wasn't supposed to post.

I'm doing it, I'm doing it, I'm certain I'm about to be banned.

Quote:Basically, anything that threatens RF's sense of comfort has to be removed. Even if it is a harmless, first amendment right. I cannot be the first individual to realize that this forum caters to a specific mindset and that anyone logically going against it is automatically shut down in order to maintain the peace the forum thinks it alone has the right to maintain.

There is a definitive difference between removing that which is definitively toxic and just being a b1tch because one is in power. But that has always been the way with these sorts of forums whereby there exists a clique that simply cannot be opposed.

If that is the case, then why even pretend that anyone here has a real voice?

The irony being that theists can post hateful stuff all day long. It is rather clear where this forum leans.

LOL

Quote:Your account is currently restricted. Please post in this forum to find out why:

Nope, they cannot handle their stupidity being handed to them on a platter.

What forum is this again?
Sitting in the club car of the hell bound train.

(11-02-2019, 02:51 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: What forum is this again?

https://www.religiousforums.com/

The irony is that I was posting in the journals area.

If one's thoughts and opinions are not safe there, it is no wonder that forum has issues.

Of course, it did not help that a particular staff member was stalking me with an embarrassing hard-on, just looking to get me in trouble because he is a veritable theistic demon.