Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else tried posting on a general "religious debates" forum?

Once again, I decided to try religious forums, and as usual I just end up disappointed.

The place thrives too much on inclusivity, which means that stupid theists get to believe stupid things and you get in trouble if you say the wrong thing.

I mean, it is the twenty-first freakin' century. It's not as though there is any reason to keep believing in god except for people who will ignorantly support the theistic right to continually think stupidly.

Anywho, I was wondering, have you attempted to venture beyond the atheist paradise to post on a non-atheist forum?

I avoid such. I'm happier for it.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Phaedrus, Aegon, GenesisNemesis

(10-15-2019, 12:29 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I avoid such. I'm happier for it.

Yeah, I guess I just keep hoping religious people and those who support them have changed.

(10-15-2019, 12:31 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:

Yeah, I guess I just keep hoping religious people and those who support them have changed.

I just post here and on AF. Scarcely, given time restrictions. Also, between talking about religion and banging my head on a wall, I see little difference. Even the most moderates.
The following 2 users Like LastPoet's post:
  • Phaedrus, Mathilda

(10-15-2019, 12:31 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:

[Image: smack.gif]
The following 4 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Phaedrus, brewerb, Dānu, Deesse23

I joined a few different religious forums during my time on TFTSNBN, and went in there with an open mind in an attempt to do a bit of an "ask me anything" kind of thing. My experience was that, across 3 different forums, I didn't get 1 single "serious" question outside of people making fun of be because I was "a godless heathen" or whatever.

It was a shame really, and I know the answer is because that's what theists tend to do in the long run, but I was expecting a serious debate to some degree.

Never mind  Deadpan Coffee Drinker
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • Phaedrus

(10-15-2019, 12:23 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: Once again, I decided to try religious forums, and as usual I just end up disappointed.

The place thrives too much on inclusivity, which means that stupid theists get to believe stupid things and you get in trouble if you say the wrong thing.

I mean, it is the twenty-first freakin' century. It's not as though there is any reason to keep believing in god except for people who will ignorantly support the theistic right to continually think stupidly.

Anywho, I was wondering, have you attempted to venture beyond the atheist paradise to post on a non-atheist forum?

I had a quick look and didn't see any discussions that would really interest me.  yawn
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Phaedrus

I'd rather try to teach a pig to sing.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 10 users Like Chas's post:
  • Phaedrus, Gwaithmir, Dom, Minimalist, Inkubus, Bucky Ball, Full Circle, RobbyPants, TheGentlemanBastard, adey67

I hang out at atheist forums because you lot are about 3% less squirrely than the religious people. That's a huge margin on the 'net.

And you all say the damnedest things to boot. Do carry on.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Phaedrus

In the short run, most people will say whatever it takes to save face.

I would guess, however, that in the long run theists will think about any new perspectives atheists offer them in such discussions.

Nope, enough others have said it's a waste of time.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Phaedrus

My leaving after only a couple months was "flippant at best" according to one ignorant religious user.

Nope.  Partly because I am not that interested (anymore) in debate on this issue.  If I liked the personalities of a religious forum I might join, but it would mostly be to socialize and explain my reasoning behind certain positions, not debate.
god, ugh
The following 4 users Like julep's post:
  • Phaedrus, SYZ, Thumpalumpacus, Full Circle

I used to post on Strange Notions, a blog for atheists and Catholics to argue over religion. Unfortunately, Disqus a few months ago screwed up their software so I can't post. I also posted a few times on William Craig Lane's forum at Rational Religion. That is a good place to get ignored. Two good blog sites I used to post to before Disqus went tits up was John Loftus' Christianity Debunked, and Bob Seidenstickers Cross Examined. Both highly recommended for die hard atheists.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Tres Leches, Phaedrus, Dānu

Nope. Religious forums are not the place for me. I prefer debate driven by science, logic,
and evidence—rather than fantasy fiction driven by ignorance, dogmatism and irrationality.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 4 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Tres Leches, Phaedrus, Inkubus, Full Circle

Religious debate is an oxymoron. Catholics call their pope infallible and religions of other flavors think their leaders can't be questioned. If there were any meaningful debating being done by religious people, I'd be surprised.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 2 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Phaedrus, Full Circle

I've debated theists on....um....youtube comment sections.  Yeah, I know.....me --->   girl blushing

I found it to be a lot of fun.........for a while.  The question that always stumps them is a slightly different take on Epicurean Paradox which especially applies to the Biblical god. 

Quote:1. god is omniscient
2. god is loving
3. god is merciful
4. hell exists
5. free will exists

Question:

Why would an omniscient, loving, merciful god create people knowing that they will, by their own free will, go to hell?

I can't take credit for this approach.  I came across it on Christian Forums posted by a passing atheist.  Amazingly, they have never removed it,  I think because the atheist with the username "Dr Truth" was polite and patient with the idiots there.  It's fun to read through.   https://www.christianforums.com/threads/...h.7686721/

He does a great job keeping the conversation from meandering off in every direction and politely stays on topic.   Anyway I borrowed his question and debated a theist on youtube once and the theist finally got so cornered that he deleted all his posts.  That was such fun, I really enoyed it.  -----> Girl_yes2
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Alan V, Dānu, Phaedrus

Quote: Catholics call their pope infallible

The fuckers should hear what I call their pope.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus

(10-15-2019, 02:04 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: I used to post on Strange Notions, a blog for atheists and Catholics to argue over religion.  Unfortunately, Disqus a few months ago screwed up their software so I can't post.  I also posted a few times on William Craig Lane's forum at Rational Religion.  That is a good place to get ignored.  Two good blog sites I used to post to before Disqus went tits up was John Loftus' Christianity Debunked, and Bob Seidenstickers Cross Examined.  Both highly recommended for die hard atheists.

Bookmarked. (Oh, and the Loftus site is "Debunking Christianity," not "Christianity Debunked," (here).)
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

I haven't been there in a while, but theologyweb.com was decent. They keep a section for people to defend their bible based beliefs in, Apologetics 101 or something, and an atheist / secular only section. I don't philosophically agree with the segregational approach, but they, meaning the staff, are generally decent, and for those who are okay with the structure, it works pretty well. They also have a 'psychiatry room' for if you just need to throw a spanner about something on the forum.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Phaedrus

(10-15-2019, 12:23 PM)Phaedrus Wrote: Once again, I decided to try religious forums, and as usual I just end up disappointed.

Then go in and be a POE and pretend to be at just the right level of stupidity for them to start doubting themselves Wink
The following 1 user Likes Mathilda's post:
  • Phaedrus

i joined carm lol
they banned me because i used num3r5 in my t3x7
they said English only and i laughed at them and said no more Hebrew
The following 1 user Likes Schrodinger's Outlaw's post:
  • Phaedrus

Debating religious people on any website, including atheist ones, got boring to me a couple of years ago. I just don't see the point in it.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

The following 4 users Like Aegon's post:
  • mordant, Mark, Phaedrus, Thumpalumpacus

Life is too short.

I used to post on Catholic Answers, in a sneaky little way.
There was a guy who was always going on about how ID proves God.
He was quite the pompous ass. I used to sass him and point out his flawed logic.
He thought if he used Latin words, it made him right. He no likey Bucky.
They never banned me, although I think I came really close a couple times.
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Phaedrus, Dancefortwo

(10-15-2019, 07:14 PM)Aegon Wrote: Debating religious people on any website, including atheist ones, got boring to me a couple of years ago. I just don't see the point in it.

Same here. I still do it on occasion if it's an interesting enough chew toy, but mostly -- meh. Can't be bothered to even respond for the most part anymore.

Even at that, I'm generally guided by the real value of such interactions -- which is to the many, many lurkers, quite a few of whom lurk because they have doubts and are trying to sort them out. There is generally ZERO value to the theists who are actually doing the posting, as their minds are made up.

I try to interact in ways that would convey ideas and information that I wish I had access to during and just before my own deconversion.

But as I get older I realize that whether the topic is deconversion or anything else, everyone has to save themselves; there's not all that much I can really do to move the needle, unless maybe there is something I can do to round out the presentation of data and logical argument in ways that will address something important that's missing.
The following 3 users Like mordant's post:
  • brunumb, Phaedrus, Dancefortwo