Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nice Find at Pompeii

Nice Find at Pompeii
Good work, boys.  Keep digging.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/10/vivid-g...t-pompeii/

Quote:A vivid fresco depicting an armour-clad gladiator standing victorious as his wounded opponent stumbles gushing blood has been discovered in the ancient Roman city of Pompeii, Italy’s culture ministry said Friday.

The striking scene in gold, blue and red was uncovered in what experts think was a tavern frequented by gladiators, who fought each other, prisoners and wild animals for the public’s entertainment.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 5 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball, abaris, Gwaithmir, Marozz, Tres Leches

Nice Find at Pompeii
It's all fun until Rome gets their Hadrian's Amphitheater put out.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  

Nice Find at Pompeii
Very cool. Here's the art:

[Image: Gladiator-Fresco-at-Pompeii.jpg]
"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?" -- Frank Herbert
The following 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • abaris, Deesse23, Gwaithmir, Marozz

Nice Find at Pompeii
I suspect vanity art. Lefty doesn't look like he broke a sweat.

Nice Find at Pompeii
The ash blanket preserved a nice slice of history. Same things happened in the more distant past, preserving fossils that would otherwise decay.

Nice Find at Pompeii
I like the obscene Graphitis at Pompeii. It shows that we're not very removed from these people. What can I say, I like the small things that make these people more human. Such as the letters from Vindolanda where one soldier calls for a warm pair of socks or a woman invites her friend to her birthday party. We're still the same and that's what I love about discoveries like that.
The following 7 users Like abaris's post:
  • Alan V, skyking, Deesse23, Minimalist, Thumpalumpacus, Gwaithmir, Marozz

Nice Find at Pompeii
(10-11-2019, 05:41 PM)skyking Wrote: The ash blanket preserved a nice slice of history. Same things happened in the more distant past, preserving fossils that would otherwise decay.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akrotiri_(Santorini), for example. Got to visit that back in the '70s. Made it to Pompeii the same year in fact.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • skyking

Nice Find at Pompeii
Quote:It shows that we're not very removed from these people.

It does show that they were a lot less uptight than we are today.  Another shitty legacy of jesusist puritanism on Western Civilization!

Nice Find at Pompeii
(10-11-2019, 07:26 PM)Minimalist Wrote: It does show that they were a lot less uptight than we are today.

You should come read some European graphitis some time.

Nice Find at Pompeii
[Image: God-Priapus-illustrated-in-a-fresco-in-t...domain.png]

From The House of the Vettii in Pompeii.  As our guide said when I was there "demonstrating that it is worth its weight in gold."

Nice Find at Pompeii
Dick jokes.

Nice Find at Pompeii
In '"the house of the brothers", I think, in Pompeii there is an alcove with a small bronze of the god Priapus . It is meant to have an erect penis. Our guide explained that tourists kept stealing the phallus and that it was too expensive to keep replacing .Apparently the Italian locals stole the lead piping in the town ages ago. Wouldn't it have melted ?

I visited Pompeii on 1990. It knocked my socks off. At the time they had excavated around 20% of the town. I found the figures of people especially poignant.

Highly recommended if you ver get the chance.
The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • skyking, Deesse23

Nice Find at Pompeii
(10-11-2019, 11:39 PM)grympy Wrote:  Wouldn't it have melted ?

So what? Easier to get out of the ground that way.

Nice Find at Pompeii
(10-11-2019, 11:39 PM)grympy Wrote: Apparently the Italian locals  stole the lead piping in the town ages ago.  Wouldn't it have melted ?

Pyroclastic flows can range from 400°-1800°F. The lower end of that range is insufficient to melt lead.

Was the plumbing above ground or below?
"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?" -- Frank Herbert

Nice Find at Pompeii
(10-12-2019, 01:33 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 11:39 PM)grympy Wrote: Apparently the Italian locals  stole the lead piping in the town ages ago.  Wouldn't it have melted ?

Pyroclastic flows can range from 400°-1800°F. The lower end of that range is insufficient to melt lead.

Plumbing would be just below to the surface to deep, depending on the topography.

Nice Find at Pompeii
(10-12-2019, 01:37 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

Plumbing would be just below to the surface to deep, depending on the topography.

That too would insulate them against the heat somewhat, dependent upon depth.

Nice Find at Pompeii
Or the hot ash would have dropped with enough depth to keep the heat in the lower layers long enough for the lead to accumulate the needed BTU. When I was there in the '70s a team from Indiana U. was looking at this peripherally to their main research. (I'm from Indiana and saw the IU t-shirts some were wearing in a bar. Things snowballed from there.)
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

Nice Find at Pompeii
Pompeii apparently was hit by a day long heavy ash fall before the final pyroclastic flows finished them off.  The ash/pumice would have covered the ground and provided some measure of protection to structures at ground level.  There are also Italian researchers who have suggested that Pompeii, being farther away from Vesuvius than Herculaneum, would have had a "cooler" pyroclastic flow than Herculaneum although still hot enough to fry anything it came in contact with.  Skulls of victims in Herculaneum showed signs of bursting from the heat.  Bodies in Pompeii were merely dead.  Small comfort to the victims.
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • LastPoet, Gwaithmir, Thumpalumpacus

Nice Find at Pompeii
Happily, the Italians have learned their lesson.

[Image: d02be0636b755c8700377910f67597a4.jpg]

Nice Find at Pompeii
Yep.... just like those people who get flooded out by the Mississippi every spring and then say "thank goodness that won't happen again!"
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Thumpalumpacus

Nice Find at Pompeii
They thought that paying tribute to Vulcan would appease the god. Much like people in the mississipi flood areas. Same thing, different deities.
The following 1 user Likes LastPoet's post:
  • Gwaithmir

Nice Find at Pompeii
My dad was there in 1944 when it erupted.  He said it was the most terrifying thing he ever saw.... and he was at Monte Cassino.
The following 4 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • abaris, Thumpalumpacus, Gawdzilla Sama, Deesse23

Nice Find at Pompeii
(10-12-2019, 05:51 PM)LastPoet Wrote: They thought that paying tribute to Vulcan would appease the god. Much like people in the mississipi flood areas. Same thing, different deities.

They didn't even know. In their living memory the mountain never errupted. It didn't since. Not on that scale anyway. But they had earthquakes and were obviously used to them happening. They were just in the stage of rebuilding from the last one when catastrophe hit.

Nice Find at Pompeii
(10-12-2019, 01:37 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

These pipes ran above ground, along the edge of the street . They were not for effluent, but water.  Lead poisoning  apparently killed  a lot of Romans .Lead  was also used as makeup (Elizabeth 1 also used lead as make up)   as well as for sweetening wine.

Nice Find at Pompeii
(10-12-2019, 02:15 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Or the hot ash would have dropped with enough depth to keep the heat in the lower layers long enough for the lead to accumulate the needed BTU. When I was there in the '70s a team from Indiana U. was looking at this peripherally to their main research. (I'm from Indiana and saw the IU t-shirts some were wearing in a bar. Things snowballed from there.)

A good point, sure, thanks for the short hairs.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama