Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holy fashion sells out in minutes

Get your Jesus shoes, get your Jesus shoes, for $3K a pair.

[Image: mschf-jesus-shoes.jpg?w968]

Quote:A pair of $3,000 (£2,453) trainers dubbed “Jesus Shoes” that contain holy water have sold out minutes after being made available to purchase.

The controversial shoes, which are the brainchild of Brooklyn-based creative label MSCHF, were released online on Tuesday.

The repurposed Nike Air Max 97s trainers, which were bought at retail value, have been transformed to make several references to Jesus Christ, although Nike has no affiliation with the creation.

Not only do the shoes contain holy water in the soles that came from the Jordan River and was blessed by a priest, but a crucifix has also been placed on top of the laces on the right trainer.

A verse from the Bible is also referenced on the side of the shoe, Matthew 14:25, while a drop of red ink that symbolises the blood of Christ is visible on the tongue of the trainer.
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

You know, I busted my ass my whole life with the hope that I would still be alive to retire. It was touch and go for many of those years. If I had no conscience, I've thought of things that I could have done to mulct people of their hard-earned money, no problem. I guess this guy has no such qualms.
The following 4 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Phaedrus, Tres Leches, abaris, Gwaithmir

I've lost all respect for Nike.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

(10-11-2019, 01:43 AM)brewerb Wrote: I've lost all respect for Nike.

You must have missed this part:
although Nike has no affiliation with the creation.

(10-11-2019, 01:45 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:

I don't care. I see the Nike trademark, at it's core it's a Nike product. If this is not considered trademark infringement they should at least have released a position statement.
The following 3 users Like brewerb's post:
  • Phaedrus, airportkid, abaris

(10-11-2019, 01:39 AM)Fireball Wrote: You know, I busted my ass my whole life with the hope that I would still be alive to retire. It was touch and go for many of those years. If I had no conscience, I've thought of things that I could have done to mulct people of their hard-earned money, no problem. I guess this guy has no such qualms.

He has an unimpeachable example; the Vatican.

If you visit the Sistine chapel, on the way out you literally run into a souvenir shop.   To make sure you don't misunderstand, the place is run by nuns in full costume.

I think one would have to travel  a very long way to find a more vulgar , tacky, and nasty shop. It even sells papal blessings .(you get a 
certificate) 

Of course the church NEVER sells holy water ! Indeedly doodly not ,it only gouges you on the  price of the container.   Any priest can create holy water. Not sure if there's a limit to how much he may produce with one blessing.

P . T Barnum, may  have said "nobody  ever went broke underestimating  public taste." My corollary ; "or stupidity" 

OT: the notion of "holy water"predates christianity by centuries. In some  old beliefs, water  becomes blessed  if you add salt.
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Fireball

(10-11-2019, 01:45 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: You must have missed this part:

They're obviously OK with the scam. Otherwise they would take this guy's ass to court for brand infringment.
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Phaedrus

It's not really scam as such. It's only a single pair of trainers, and the company created them
purely as a piss-take, fuelled by other just as absurd character/clothing associations.  People
really need to lighten up.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

Quote:The controversial shoes, which are the brainchild of Brooklyn-based creative label MSCHF, were released online on Tuesday.

MSCHF = mischief ?
[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
The following 3 users Like Dom's post:
  • Phaedrus, brewerb, julep

(10-11-2019, 01:24 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: Get your Jesus shoes, get your Jesus shoes, for $3K a pair.

Quote:A pair of $3,000 (£2,453) trainers dubbed “Jesus Shoes” that contain holy water have sold out minutes after being made available to purchase.

The controversial shoes, which are the brainchild of Brooklyn-based creative label MSCHF, were released online on Tuesday.

The repurposed Nike Air Max 97s trainers, which were bought at retail value, have been transformed to make several references to Jesus Christ, although Nike has no affiliation with the creation.

Not only do the shoes contain holy water in the soles that came from the Jordan River and was blessed by a priest, but a crucifix has also been placed on top of the laces on the right trainer.

A verse from the Bible is also referenced on the side of the shoe, Matthew 14:25, while a drop of red ink that symbolises the blood of Christ is visible on the tongue of the trainer.

Oh, forcrisssake!  Facepalm
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Phaedrus, Gwaithmir

(10-11-2019, 01:52 AM)brewerb Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 01:45 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:

I don't care. I see the Nike trademark, at it's core it's a Nike product. If this is not considered trademark infringement they should at least have released a position statement.

Since when is it's Nike's responsibility to issue a position statement every time some asshole modifies their products and re-sells them?
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Fireball

(10-11-2019, 06:13 AM)abaris Wrote:

They're obviously OK with the scam. Otherwise they would take this guy's ass to court for brand infringment.

How is this any type of brand infringement?!? They aren't claiming to have made the shoes nor are they making cheap knock-offs and branding them with a swoosh. They're selling a modified version of a product they purchased.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • SYZ

(10-11-2019, 11:51 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 01:52 AM)brewerb Wrote:

Since when is it's Nike's responsibility to issue a position statement every time some asshole modifies their products and re-sells them?

It's not.

Will I be able to walk on water while wearing them?
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • Fireball

(10-12-2019, 12:10 AM)no one Wrote: Will I be able to walk on water while wearing them?

Nope, there are holes in the souls if they are associated with Jesus.  Tongue
The following 1 user Likes Fireball's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(10-12-2019, 12:10 AM)no one Wrote: Will I be able to walk on water while wearing them?

Here ya go.  

[Image: e42e05cc42fe4ccdea913e74adb486aa.jpg]
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(10-11-2019, 05:45 AM)grympy Wrote: I think one would have to travel  a very long way to find a more vulgar, tacky, and nasty shop...

Try St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral in Melbourne...

[Image: company_logo.gif]

And while you're there , why not buy a fabulous child's "prayer cube"?
[Image: wb32314.jpg]

... which looks suspiciously like a die.  A couple of deuces maybe, if you're lucky?

Big Grin
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(10-11-2019, 02:51 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 01:24 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: Get your Jesus shoes, get your Jesus shoes, for $3K a pair.

Oh, forcrisssake!  Facepalm

Exactly my reaction too.  Dodgy

(10-12-2019, 12:20 AM)Fireball Wrote:

Nailed it.
[Image: adoplu242c8.png]
The following 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post:
  • Fireball

(10-12-2019, 12:20 AM)Fireball Wrote:

"You'll have to pardon him, lady. The heel has no soul." (Moe Howard)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • Fireball