Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UFOs: No Longer Crazy?

(10-12-2019, 09:01 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Mystery solved.  No Aliens.  Probably just a joy-riding teenager.

Or a joy-riding teenage alien?  Consider
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

(10-14-2019, 01:28 PM)Chas Wrote:
(10-12-2019, 09:01 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Mystery solved.  No Aliens.  Probably just a joy-riding teenager.

Or a joy-riding teenage alien?  Consider
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 5 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Chas, grympy, Minimalist, skyking, Peebothuhlu

(10-14-2019, 01:18 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(10-14-2019, 01:09 PM)Chas Wrote: The number of scientifically literate members of Congress could probably fill a men's room stall.

So two?

Unless there's a glory hole?

... and a, ahem, wide stance.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Minimalist, Gawdzilla Sama

(10-14-2019, 11:48 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(10-14-2019, 01:18 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(10-14-2019, 01:09 PM)Chas Wrote: The number of scientifically literate members of Congress could probably fill a men's room stall.

So two?

Unless there's a glory hole?

... and a, ahem, wide stance.

Same here. That's why it's entertaining to watch them whenever they try to do anything even slightly technical.  

The previous Labor government started to install a National  Broadband Network ; fibre optic cable to the premises to replace existing  copper.  -----New Liberal government decides  that's way too expensive.  As a result,  the majority of the network is to be fibre to the node. I'm one of the few lucky ones with fibre to the premises. Much faster than my old ADSL, (bandwidth1.5mbps) , with 50/20 mbps. This costs me $74 a month. The top speed on offer is still only 200mbps, which by world standards is still only fair.  

The most  recent one was the government announced it was blocking Pirate file sharing engines.----------I've been told the work around takes all of 30 seconds. 

I've said before that Aussies tend to have a healthy contempt for politicians as an ilk.  I'm truly not joking. 

--I was bemused to learn that there are a goodly number of Americans who actually believe campaign promises.    Even saint Obama was not able to keep a major promise; that he would close  Guantanamo Bay prison .It is my contention that he should have been aware if that were feasible before  making the promise.  I think he may have chosen not to know. ---And I like Obama. It is he who makes Trump so appalling in comparison.
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(10-15-2019, 12:51 AM)grympy Wrote: The previous Labor government started to install a National  Broadband Network ; fibre optic cable to the premises to replace existing  copper.  -----New Liberal government decides  that's way too expensive.  As a result,  the majority of the network is to be fibre to the node. I'm one of the few lucky ones with fibre to the premises. Much faster than my old ADSL, (bandwidth1.5mbps) , with 50/20 mbps. This costs me $74 a month. The top speed on offer is still only 200mbps, which by world standards is still only fair.  

The most  recent one was the government announced it was blocking Pirate file sharing engines.----------I've been told the work around takes all of 30 seconds. 

I've said before that Aussies tend to have a healthy contempt for politicians as an ilk.  I'm truly not joking. 

--I was bemused to learn that there are a goodly number of Americans who actually believe campaign promises.    Even saint Obama was not able to keep a major promise; that he would close  Guantanamo Bay prison .It is my contention that he should have been aware if that were feasible before  making the promise.  I think he may have chosen not to know. ---And I like Obama. It is he who makes Trump so appalling in comparison.

Generally speaking, I regard government programs with a bit of distrust anyway. When you factor into that distrust politicians who will say what's needed to garner votes ... put it this way, I vote diligently  but don't expect much, no matter the party involved.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • grympy

Alright so UFOs are just as crazy before. Thank you for your collective feedback lmao
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

The following 3 users Like Aegon's post:
  • Alan V, skyking, SYZ

(10-15-2019, 04:19 PM)Aegon Wrote: Alright so UFOs are just as crazy before. Thank you for your collective feedback lmao

Did you really need us to tell you that?

(10-15-2019, 04:19 PM)Aegon Wrote: Alright so UFOs are just as crazy before. Thank you for your collective feedback lmao

It's not UFOs that are crazy.  It's the automatic link to spaceships from other universes who are just dying to meet US that is crazy. 

Why the fuck would anyone want to meet humanity?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • grympy, adey67

Forget UFOs.  People can make any subject crazy.   hobo
The following 2 users Like Alan V's post:
  • skyking, grympy

It's the Internet. The crazy sometimes happens, brotha.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

(10-15-2019, 04:43 PM)Minimalist Wrote:

It's not UFOs that are crazy.  It's the automatic link to spaceships from other universes who are just dying to meet US that is crazy. 

Why the fuck would anyone want to meet humanity?

Exactly. That's why I think those who expect aliens to be benign  are nuts.  We have no way of knowing . For all I know, they may be like the  Borg, or indeed the giant lizards in "V"  who wanted humans as a food source

V (also known as V: The Series) is a 60-minute (47 to 49 minutes without commercials) weekly television series that aired in the United States on NBC in 1984–85. It is a continuation of the V franchise about an alien invasion of Earth by a carnivorous race of reptilians known as "Visitors", which was originally conceived by American writer, producer, and director Kenneth Johnson. Johnson, however, was not involved in the production of the weekly series. At a cost of one million dollars per episode, V was the most expensive series to be produced for television at that time.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_(1984_TV_series)

Trivia; this show featured John Englund, in a small role without Freddy makeup makeup .I thought he looked a bit goofy and utterly inoffensive.
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Minimalist

And that kind of movie feeds alien paranoia. Space-faring race can't find better source of food?

(10-16-2019, 10:16 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: And that kind of movie feeds alien paranoia. Space-faring race can't find better source of food?

Indeed. One one needs to suspend disbelief and be fully aware of doing so.

I wonder if David Icke thought it was a documentary?.  .

I understand that as the result of Harry Potter, a lot of people, especially kids, now believe magic is real. I guess not much of a stretch if one first believes in god  Deadpan Coffee Drinker
The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, LastPoet

I asked the cousins to tell me the date of the first wizard duel they remember hearing about. All of them gave me a date in the Harry Potter timeline. I asked about Merlin and his half sister. Blank looks. I asked about the duel between Moses and the Pharaoh's wizards. Blank looks.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • grympy

(10-16-2019, 09:41 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I asked the cousins to tell me the date of the first wizard duel they remember hearing about. All of them gave me a date in the Harry Potter timeline. I asked about Merlin and his half sister. Blank looks. I asked about the duel between Moses and the Pharaoh's wizards.  Blank looks.

Fair enough about the Moses myth. Not being aware of the Arthurian legend  is a bit of a worry.  I don't suppose it would do any good buying them a book ?

(10-16-2019, 09:50 PM)grympy Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 09:41 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I asked the cousins to tell me the date of the first wizard duel they remember hearing about. All of them gave me a date in the Harry Potter timeline. I asked about Merlin and his half sister. Blank looks. I asked about the duel between Moses and the Pharaoh's wizards.  Blank looks.

Fair enough about the Moses myth. Not being aware of the Arthurian legend  is a bit of a worry.  I don't suppose it would do any good buying them a book ?

You have to remember that this lot is largely homeschooled and very religious on the surface. They don't even realize how limited they are for the most part. I'm one of the underground book providers for the people who want to learn their way out of that trap. One big hit is the prep material for the ASVAB tests. https://www.airforce.com/how-to-join/pre...lsrc=aw.ds

(10-16-2019, 10:16 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: And that kind of movie feeds alien paranoia. Space-faring race can't find better source of food?

I read that as "space-farting".

Does that mean there's something wrong with me?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(10-17-2019, 03:01 PM)SYZ Wrote:

And that's how nebulae are formed.

[Image: DxiedFMWwAErWr8.jpg]
The following 4 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • LastPoet, grympy, skyking, Bcat

Aren't you from Oz? Whistling
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • grympy, SYZ

(10-17-2019, 03:12 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:

And that's how nebulae are formed.

[Image: DxiedFMWwAErWr8.jpg]

Last night there was
a ring around the Moon.
Tonight no Moon we see.
Tony, stop farting like that!

(10-17-2019, 03:15 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

Aren't you from Oz?  Whistling

A bit of the pot calling the kettle black there mate. Angel

(10-17-2019, 08:52 PM)grympy Wrote:
(10-17-2019, 03:15 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(10-17-2019, 03:01 PM)SYZ Wrote: I read that as "space-farting".

Aren't you from Oz?  Whistling

Sally Owens : All I want is a normal life.

Aunt Frances Owens : My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage!

Sally Owens : Well, it's what I want.

(10-17-2019, 08:58 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(10-17-2019, 08:52 PM)grympy Wrote:
(10-17-2019, 03:15 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Aren't you from Oz?  Whistling

Sally Owens : All I want is a normal life.

Aunt Frances Owens : My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage!

Sally Owens : Well, it's what I want.

I find normal people a bit scary.  Fortunately, I don't know many. 

" I guess reality is OK to visit if you must, but I wouldn't want to actually LIVE there " (Tarquin S Shagnasty)

You get a lot of that Blank Look stuff from them, huh?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”