Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your life's pivot point(s)?

I can say that nothing important happened to be after I first learned to read.* After that the next pivot was joining the USN. Things got maniacal for a while after that, what with bootcamp, Engineman A school, certain other schools (some of which didn't then exist and still haven't) and going to a war zone just for the lulz. Four wives count, don't they? And starting Uni, a fourteen year wide pivot point.

*I still remember the exact moment when written words on a page because information for me. And the thrill when the teacher walked up to the chalkboard and wrote "cat" and "dog" on the board.
  [Image: pirates.gif] Dog  
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

There is a choice of criteria one might use in choosing those points.  Dogs form convenient chapters in my life but they don't correspond to points of personal transformation.

The first pivot point would have been admitting to myself I didn't think God and an afterlife were real in fifth grade.

Next came a point in my early twenties when I realized that people were not all positively inclined and only failing, when they do, owing to missing information or poor reasoning.

Then came a point in my mid twenties when I realized that one could move in directions that led to barrenness and self estrangement, or, toward fulfillment and self realization.  So choices did matter but there wasn't an external fact of the matter regarding what is best for an individual which applied to everyone equally.  So no one book or expert could tell you how to go.  Instead, that's kind of what your life is for.

More recently I've realized two other things.  One is that exercise and diet make a big difference in the quality of my existence.  And the other is that the kind of little sideways glimpses at the truth one encounters when reading novels can be at least as satisfying as a head-on assault on the Truth through philosophy, religion or psychology.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 3 users Like Mark's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Gawdzilla Sama, mordant

Having to deal with a ton of stress from various family issues and eventually recovering. It's possible I even had PTSD, but I definitely had depression at least.
The following 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, mordant

Age 4: my mother explains how to sound out words and gives me a book.  I come back a half hour later and read the book to her.  
Age 10: clarinet happens to me.  
Also age 10: we are forced to move from Arlington, VA, to Richmond, VA, and my life takes a turn very much for the worse; this is also the beginning of my family’s disintegration.  
Age 15: I realize Bible god is evil and realize that I will go to hell, try to accept it after realizing there’s no ethical way around the dilemma.  That starts a five-year journey with atheism as the terminus.
As an adult: I decide to leave Chicago for a coast and pick east; I go to grad school and finally get a degree; I decide to become a parent; I learn to be a parent; I decide to expand instead of contract, despite being tired and scared.
god, ugh
The following 4 users Like julep's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Alan V, Gawdzilla Sama, Tres Leches

Birth.
LSD.
USMC.
Unemployment.
Reemployment.
The following 5 users Like no one's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Gawdzilla Sama, Tres Leches, Ferdinand, Old Man Marsh

Living in Iran. Taking up the guitar. Joining the Air Force. Becoming a father.
"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?" -- Frank Herbert
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Gawdzilla Sama, Ferdinand

University changed my life. It did not helped me with achieving material success (as I easily could work in Germany without degree) but changed my perspective on knowledge and gave better tools to search it.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
The following 3 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Thumpalumpacus, Ferdinand

The turning points with positive outcomes:
* reading Thoreau's Walden as a teenager,
* marrying my present wife and moving to the Philadelphia area,
* reading Dawkins' The God Delusion when I was 50,
* retiring early when our division closed.

Those are far outnumbered by turning points with negative outcomes, but oh well.
The following 3 users Like Alan V's post:
  • julep, GenesisNemesis, Gawdzilla Sama

Start of my interest in music: Hearing "She Loves You" by the Beatles in 1963.

Moving to a new town at age 14, leaving old bullies behind and starting fresh.

Solar eclipse on February 26, 1979.

Birth of my daughter.

Dumping Whatsisname in 2000.

Joining a community band in 2011.

Finally independent (no significant other and no parental units) in 2016.
The following 6 users Like Astreja's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, julep, Gawdzilla Sama, Alan V, c172, Thumpalumpacus

Couldn't find a 3D version, so just consider that I've been down almost every path in one of these, but shaped like a cube. I'm hoping that I don't find the exit for many more years.

[Image: 8QYEov4.gif]
The following 3 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Astreja, Kim

(10-08-2019, 05:38 PM)Fireball Wrote: Couldn't find a 3D version, so just consider that I've been down almost every path in one of these, but shaped like a cube. I'm hoping that I don't find the exit for many more years.

[Image: 8QYEov4.gif]

When I was five my parents took me to see San Francisco Ballet's production of Alice in Wonderland.  I had no idea such wonders existed and that people danced like this.   I nagged my mother to let me take ballet classes and she finally did after we moved out of the secluded Tahoe area.  It changed my life.

When I was 28 my mother had an aneurysm in her brain which turned her into a different person.  She could still walk ok but she had great difficulty communicating.  She used made up words that we had to decipher to figure out what she was saying.  I didn't really have a mom to give me parenting advice or someone I could joke around with anymore. She was such a funny woman.  I still miss her today.
                                                         T4618
The following 5 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Alan V, Gawdzilla Sama, Thumpalumpacus, Astreja, mordant

The first was getting kicked out of college because of my grades. The prospect of having to work for a living, and the fact that there were no jobs in my hometown and all my friends had moved to the big city led me to move away from home and start managing completely independently in a big city. It was then that I began to grow up.

The second was developing panic attacks at the end of 1989. They led me to the emergency room one night, and to therapy where my mental illness was finally diagnosed and my "issues" were given a name I could understand. From there I began my treatment for mental illness, being first diagnosed with depression, then bipolar disorder, and finally schizoaffective disorder. It was volunteering for a mental health NPO that I met the first love of my life, and while that didn't work out, it opened my eyes to the possibility of love. I had to put those ideas on hold until my mental health improved last year, but I have those options now because of my health and my experience with that person.

The third doesn't have a specific date. As a consequence of my suicide attempt in 2008, my schizophrenic type symptoms started getting the attention they needed. I finally started taking anti-psychotics a number of years later, though not for my delusions, and sometime about 3 years ago my delusions ended. With them went my belief that I needed to kill myself and with it the chronic suicidality. A year or two later my constant depression lfted, and I'm facing life no longer hobbled by illness. The possibilities are enormous, and I've only begun to scratch the surface.
[Image: signature%20The-Ascension-of-Iweko.jpg]
The following 7 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Fireball, Gawdzilla Sama, SYZ, Thumpalumpacus, julep, Astreja, mordant

(10-09-2019, 12:02 AM)Dānu Wrote: The first was getting kicked out of college because of my grades.  The prospect of having to work for a living, and the fact that there were no jobs in my hometown and all my friends had moved to the big city led me to move away from home and start managing completely independently in a big city.  It was then that I began to grow up.

The second was developing panic attacks at the end of 1989.  They led me to the emergency room one night, and to therapy where my mental illness was finally diagnosed and my "issues" were given a name I could understand.  From there I began my treatment for mental illness, being first diagnosed with depression, then bipolar disorder, and finally schizoaffective disorder.  It was volunteering for a mental health NPO that I met the first love of my life, and while that didn't work out, it opened my eyes to the possibility of love.  I had to put those ideas on hold until my mental health improved last year, but I have those options now because of my health and my experience with that person.

The third doesn't have a specific date.  As a consequence of my suicide attempt in 2008, my schizophrenic type symptoms started getting the attention they needed.  I finally started taking anti-psychotics a number of years later, though not for my delusions, and sometime about 3 years ago my delusions ended.  With them went my belief that I needed to kill myself and with it the chronic suicidality.  A year or two later my constant depression lfted, and I'm facing life no longer hobbled by illness.  The possibilities are enormous, and I've only begun to scratch the surface.

I'm glad to have met you, if only online. You've got a lot to offer, even when we don't see eye-to-eye, and it's good you've turned the corner, Danno.
"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?" -- Frank Herbert
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dānu

(10-09-2019, 05:02 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I'm glad to have met you, if only online. You've got a lot to offer, even when we don't see eye-to-eye, and it's good you've turned the corner, Danno.

Thank you for the kind words. I am glad to have accrued the esteem of someone I respect as much as I do you. I feel similarly about you. You are an insightful commentator and a crack debater and it has been an immense pleasure reading your posts. I am glad to have had the opportunity to get to know you.
The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Fireball, Thumpalumpacus

I haven't been alive long enough to have multiple pivotal moments, but moving out of my mom's straight out high school and getting away from a very toxic environment was the first step. Since then, I have taken legal custody of my little sister and removed her from that same environment, and I feel that I have adapted well to handling more responsibility. I have changed my major FOUR TIMES and I am finally a double major in Biology and Environmental Science with very big plans. Smile
The following 5 users Like Ferdinand's post:
  • Dānu, Fireball, leerob, Thumpalumpacus, mordant

(10-09-2019, 04:54 PM)Ferdinand Wrote: I haven't been alive long enough to have multiple pivotal moments, but moving out of my mom's straight out high school and getting away from a very toxic environment was the first step. Since then, I have taken legal custody of my little sister and removed her from that same environment, and I feel that I have adapted well to handling more responsibility. I have changed my major FOUR TIMES and I am finally a double major in Biology and Environmental Science with very big plans. Smile

Sounds sufficiently pinball to be interesting. Thumbs Up

I was trying to make a short list but even the short list is long so fuck it.
Let's just say, it's been nuts so far and I am still breathing. The rest is to be discovered.
2+2=4
The following 4 users Like leerob's post:
  • skyking, julep, Gawdzilla Sama, mordant

(10-09-2019, 04:25 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(10-09-2019, 05:02 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I'm glad to have met you, if only online. You've got a lot to offer, even when we don't see eye-to-eye, and it's good you've turned the corner, Danno.

Thank you for the kind words.  I am glad to have accrued the esteem of someone I respect as much as I do you.  I feel similarly about you.  You are an insightful commentator and a crack debater and it has been an immense pleasure reading your posts.  I am glad to have had the opportunity to get to know you.

I'm just happy you're in a better place, hon. I couldn't imagine dealing with the stuff you've had to address, and to think that you're coming through that is really good stuff. And I'm guessing that like anything in life it's not an open-and-shut storybook, that it takes daily work to stay in your good spot. 

I've been reading your posts for a bit over five years now, between AF and here, and it's good to see you in a happier place. Keep on keepin' on. Smile
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dānu, Gawdzilla Sama

(10-10-2019, 03:42 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(10-09-2019, 04:25 PM)Dānu Wrote:

Thank you for the kind words.  I am glad to have accrued the esteem of someone I respect as much as I do you.  I feel similarly about you.  You are an insightful commentator and a crack debater and it has been an immense pleasure reading your posts.  I am glad to have had the opportunity to get to know you.

I'm just happy you're in a better place, hon. I couldn't imagine dealing with the stuff you've had to address, and to think that you're coming through that is really good stuff. And I'm guessing that like anything in life it's not an open-and-shut storybook, that it takes daily work to stay in your good spot. 

I've been reading your posts for a bit over five years now, between AF and here, and it's good to see you in a happier place. Keep on keepin' on. Smile

The following 2 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Fireball

Piviot points? Fuuuck ... I feel like a whirling dervish every day. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

I've been obliged to reinvent myself more times than I'd like.

The unexpected constant, and the one thing in my life that Just Worked, was my professional life. I have no more idea why that has gone so well, than I do about why the rest was so full of clusterfucks ... but one clue might be that I didn't care much or try very hard at my work life -- it's the stuff I gave a fig about that has been difficult.

Pivot points ... depends on how you define them. Certainly being born a white, male, heterosexual middle class anglo-saxon protestant, into a loving and ultimately intact family of origin, in what WAS at least the most prosperous nation on earth, at a time of unprecedented technological advancement, was the best initial card one could possibly draw from the deck of life.

After that it was a mixed bag. Chronic illness. Three marriages, the first ending in divorce, the second in death. The death of my son and my oldest brother and my mother to "un-natural" causes. Other unwanted drama, but also, for the most part good financial and professional outcomes, as I mentioned, and some chances to make a positive difference (I think) in some people's lives.

These days I regard all the crap as a sunk cost and take it one day at a time. Everyone is obliged to adapt to life as it presents itself, so I don't feel picked on. I do overall see my life as a bit of an underwhelming, less than compelling experience. I try to focus on contentment rather than happiness, on value rather than "meaning". Mostly, it works -- for some given value of "works" anyway.
The following 4 users Like mordant's post:
  • Dānu, Thumpalumpacus, Gawdzilla Sama, julep