Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Poll: Will UK leave EU on 31 Oct 2019?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
33.33%
3 33.33%
No
66.67%
6 66.67%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREXIT: Will UK leave EU on 31 Oct 2019?

Please also leave any thoughts in the thread along with your poll.

I think: 95% chance they will leave, either with Johnson's Deal or No Deal, on Oct 31. 5% chance they delay. I'd rate that chance lower, but I don't underestimate the remainers and the pressure they can put on this process. I give Johnson securing a deal a 75-80% chance. Thus if I were a bookmaker I'd rank the odds as follows:

77% Leave with a deal, 18% Leave without a deal, 5% Delay Article 50.

Noted with thunderous laughter that German chancellor Merkel has said a deal is now "essentially impossible".

[Image: source.gif]

I'm stockpiling just in case and have been for a while now, but this last month has made me a lot more relaxed because I think chances are that we won't.

Remember, BoJo can be removed at any time with a caretaker government and either an extension requested or Article 50 revoked. BoJo is fast running out of options.

This is your punishment for driving on the wrong side of the road.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Deesse23, Minimalist

(10-08-2019, 12:03 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: This is your punishment for driving on the wrong side of the road.

Japan does it as well. What punishment do they get?

Actually virtually everywhere that drives on LHS is an island-nation.

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing what people think as well as what happens at the end of the month!

(10-08-2019, 12:08 PM)Mathilda Wrote:
(10-08-2019, 12:03 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: This is your punishment for driving on the wrong side of the road.

Being Japanese? Thumbs Up
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • SYZ

Shinzo Abe

Abe Shinzo

Actually my mistake, I've just read that it's too late now for a vote of no confidence before the deadline apparently.

Without the Irish backstop or Northern Ireland staying in the customs union, a deal will not be possible. I can't see parliament allowing the UK to leave on the 31st without a deal (the Benn Act). I think there will be a request to extend negotiations for another six months or so. After that......a general election.

A fat man and a little boy.

(Too easy)
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

[Image: godzilla-breath.jpg?w=500]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

As does Oz.* 

Our punishment is our current happy clapper Prime Minister.  There is a truly cringeworthy picture of him toasting Donald. Puts me in mind of our previous PM, Harold  holt and his "all the way with LBJ" -------  Harold went scuba diving by himself and was never seen again--(truly)

*Of course, there was that time Oz tried to change to driving on the right.  We don't usually like to talk  about it . 
-------it was decided to introduce the change gradually. For the first week, those with number plates ending with an even number would begin to drive on the right.---Eleventy two thousand people  were killed outright, and  half a million injured----Interestingly, it was around this time church attendances in Oz began to drop     Deadpan Coffee Drinker

(10-10-2019, 03:09 AM)grympy Wrote:
(10-08-2019, 12:08 PM)Mathilda Wrote: [quote="Gawdzilla Sama" pid='152500' dateline='1570536235']
This is your punishment for driving on the wrong side of the road.

As does Oz.* 

Our punishment is our current happy clapper Prime Minister.  There is a truly cringeworthy picture of him toasting Donald. Puts me in mind of a previous PM, Harold  Holt and his "all the way with LBJ" -------  Harold went scuba diving by himself and was never seen again--(truly)

*There was that time Oz tried to change to driving on the right.  We don't usually like to talk  about it . 

-------it was decided to introduce the change gradually. For the first week, those with number plates ending with an even number would begin to drive on the right.---Eleventy two thousand people  were killed outright, and  half a million injured----Interestingly, it was around this time church attendances in Oz began to drop     Deadpan Coffee Drinker

Of course the US is one of only three countries in the world which still uses  imperial measurements instead of metric.   The other two are Liberia and Myanmar. So youse can shaddup  about us driving on the left  Tongue

(10-10-2019, 03:15 AM)grympy Wrote:  Of course the US is one of only three countries in the world which still uses  imperial measurements instead of metric.   The other two are Liberia and Myanmar. So youse can shaddup  about us driving on the left  Tongue

You've conveniently forgotten the UK:

[Image: T56EWvr.jpg]

(10-10-2019, 05:26 AM)Aractus Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 03:15 AM)grympy Wrote:  Of course the US is one of only three countries in the world which still uses  imperial measurements instead of metric.   The other two are Liberia and Myanmar. So youse can shaddup  about us driving on the left  Tongue

You've conveniently forgotten the UK:

[Image: T56EWvr.jpg]

No, I have not.   The UK has been slowly changing to the metric system since 1966. EG 100 New pence  to the  pound . Currently the   UK uses both systems.  That's  why I did not include it as a non metric country.

Wikipedia:

"Metrication in the United Kingdom, the process of introducing the metric system of measurement in place of imperial units, has made steady progress since the mid–20th century but today remains equivocal and varies by context. Most of government, industry and commerce use metric units, but imperial units are officially used to specify journey distances, vehicle speeds and the sizes of returnable milk containers, beer and cider glasses (though fresh milk is often still sold in multiples of pints, with the metric equivalent also marked). Imperial units are also often used to describe body measurements and vehicle fuel economy. In schools metric units are taught and used as the norm and imperial units that remain in common usage in the UK must also be taught.[a]"

Metric measurements get used more often than imperial in the UK. We pick and choose the most appropriate for the measurement. Metric if we want to be exact. Imperial is only officially used for driving. It's starting to feel odd though.

(10-10-2019, 06:21 AM)Mathilda Wrote: Metric measurements get used more often than imperial in the UK. We pick and choose the most appropriate for the measurement. Metric if we want to be exact. Imperial is only officially used for driving. It's starting to feel odd though.

Still using imperial measurement for beer on tap, I hope? 

I love the idea that a  half pint cost half as much as a pint.  Here  in Oz, the cost of beer is progressively more expensive in relation to size. Glass sizes vary between states; here, the cheapest  way to buy beer on tap is by the pint. The most expensive is a 'pony , which is 5 ozs, I think .The most common size is a schooner, which is ten oz. In other states a schooner is bigger. I'm going by memory, as I haven't had a alcoholic drink since 2002.

Just a reminder if anyone still wants to vote in the poll as I set it to automatically close and don't remember the exact date (I think I set it to run through to 18th Aussie time).

(10-15-2019, 04:27 AM)Aractus Wrote: Just a reminder if anyone still wants to vote in the poll as I set it to automatically close and don't remember the exact date

Was the date 31st October?

No I think I set it to the 18, the EU summit. I figured if a deal is agreed by then it changes very much how people will vote. If you want to make a prediction, make it now!

(10-08-2019, 06:44 PM)Minimalist Wrote:

[Image: godzilla-breath.jpg?w=500]

Finally. Whistling