Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you eat insects?

Would you eat insects?
(10-10-2019, 02:58 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 06:06 AM)grympy Wrote:
(10-09-2019, 07:50 PM)brewerb Wrote: I think that's Lord of the Flies, not spiders.

You ate spiders? 

As a small child my sis liked lemons, cut in half and smeared with Vegemite. . 

Apparently, I ate mud.

When I was a kid I used to eat my mothers cigarette ashes.  She was a chain smoker and for some reason I loved the taste of the ashes.  It had a salty kind of taste.  I also loved to eat the tip of burned match sticks.  It also had a salty taste.  There may have been some minerals in it that I needed, who knows.   But I would keep all my mothers burned match stick she'd use to light her cigarettes with and eat them all at one time.  Yummmy!   Blush

My mum ate laundry starch when she was pregnant with my sis.  Huh

I've always thought that weird food cravings of children and pregnant  women was because of some deficiency.  Not sure if that's true.

Would you eat insects?
(10-10-2019, 10:37 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 06:04 AM)grympy Wrote:
(10-08-2019, 09:24 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I never ate balut.

Oh, I though you said you had. My mistake.

Zokay, lots of sailors have tried it. It's a good barometer of their intoxication level.

Ah you were navy? Or merchant marine? Neither?

My own inebriation guide here was having a pie floater.  Have never had one sober. 

In Singapore mates and me would go to  a car park  on Orchard Road which became dozens of street food vendors at night.  Our Favourite was 'an egg banjo'* ,.cooked in a wok with gay abandon.  It started with an egg, then other stuff, I have no idea what, served on a small baguette , with chilli sauce..Though they were  fantastic. Until one night I tried one sober.  Just could not eat it.. Tasted disgusting. 

* a banjo in that context  is army slang for sandwich. 

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((90)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

"A pie floater commonly consists of a traditional Australian-style meat pie, usually sitting, but sometimes submerged (traditionally upside down) in a bowl of thick pea soup made from blue boiler peas.[2][3] It is often self-garnished with tomato sauce,[4] and the consumer may also add a combination of mint sauce, salt, pepper, or malt vinegar according to personal preference.

Early records in South Australia state that the pie floater was reputedly born in Port Pirie, South Australia, conceived by one Ern "Shorty"
Bradley in 1890's, but no one really knows if he did or how it came about? Did he inadvertently drop a pie into a bowl of soup? [5] [6] [7] [8] [9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_floater

Would you eat insects?
(10-08-2019, 03:52 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: Would you eat insects? Grasshoppers, worms, etc?

A number of cultures do. I would. I'm sure a few people here have. 
My daughter's Mexican aunt talked a few weeks ago about collecting grasshoppers to eat when she was a kid.

I'm not sure many USians would be keen on it though. Maybe when all the cattle are gone and we're scrounging for seed corn it'll become acceptable to eat insects here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/26/scien...phagy.html

-Teresa

Yep. Done so many times in survival training courses in the military. Been to Thailand where the fried locusts and tarantulas are delicious.

You'd be surprised what you would eat if you were starving and nothing else to eat.

rmfr
It shall always be more important to know how to think rather than to be told what to think - rmfr
The following 1 user Likes arakish's post:
  • Tres Leches

Would you eat insects?
(10-10-2019, 09:00 PM)grympy Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 02:58 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 06:06 AM)grympy Wrote:  You ate spiders? 

As a small child my sis liked lemons, cut in half and smeared with Vegemite. . 

Apparently, I ate mud.

When I was a kid I used to eat my mothers cigarette ashes.  She was a chain smoker and for some reason I loved the taste of the ashes.  It had a salty kind of taste.  I also loved to eat the tip of burned match sticks.  It also had a salty taste.  There may have been some minerals in it that I needed, who knows.   But I would keep all my mothers burned match stick she'd use to light her cigarettes with and eat them all at one time.  Yummmy!   Blush

My mum ate laundry starch when she was pregnant with my sis.  Huh

I've always thought that weird food cravings of children and pregnant  women was because of some deficiency.  Not sure if that's true.

There's a condition called pica, your mom might have had that. Apparently it can be caused by pregnancy or a nutrient deficiency.
 @Dancefortwo  cigarette ashes? Ew!! I would eat insects but I draw the line at ashes.  Big Grin

https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/...other/pica
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom