Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lab-made primordial soup yields RNA bases

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02622-4

Quote:If Thomas Carell is right, around 4 billion years ago, much of Earth might have been blanketed with a greyish-brown kind of mineral. This was no ordinary rock, however: it consisted of crystals of the organic molecules that scientists now call A, U, C and G. And some of these, the theory goes, would later serve as the building blocks of RNA, the evolutionary engine of the first living organisms, before DNA existed.

Carell, an organic chemist, and his collaborators have now demonstrated a chemical pathway that — in principle — could have made A, U, C and G (adenine, uracil, cytosine and guanine, respectively) from basic ingredients such as water and nitrogen under conditions that would have been plausible on the early Earth. The reactions produce so much of these nucleobases that, millennium after millennium, they could have accumulated in thick crusts, Carell says. His team describes the results in Science on 3 October1.

The results add credence to the ‘RNA world’ hypothesis, says Carell, who is at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich in Germany. This idea suggests that life arose from self-replicating, RNA-based genes — and that only later did organisms develop the ability to store genetic information in the molecule’s close relative, DNA. The chemistry is also a “strong indication” that the appearance of RNA-based life was not an exceedingly lucky event, but one that is likely to happen on many other planets, he adds.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Big Grin

I can hear the jesus freaks shrieking "FAKE NEWS" at the top of their lungs!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, RobbyPants, mordant

Yup.  It looks like the RNA hypothesis is still going strong.  But even if they prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that RNA can develope spontaneously, brainwahsed religious nuts won't believe it because their old book of talking bushes, snakes and donkeys says otherwise.
                                                         T4618
The following 5 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Gwaithmir, tomilay, Dānu, Minimalist

Much too complex. Too many unproven assumptions. Ridiculous. There is a much more simple and straight forward theory: Goddidit
R.I.P. Hannes
The following 1 user Likes Deesse23's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

[Image: WALLACE%27S_CONDENSED_%E2%80%95PRIMORDIA...090%29.jpg]
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 6 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Minimalist, Full Circle, Dancefortwo, skyking, Bucky Ball

Ken Hovind is fond of saying: "Atheists claim that life came from a rock!"

Maybe this will discovery will shut him up, or at least stop him in his tracks for a while.  Chuckle
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(10-05-2019, 03:21 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Yup.  It looks like the RNA hypothesis is still going strong.  But even if they prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that RNA can develope spontaneously, brainwahsed religious nuts won't believe it because their old book of talking bushes, snakes and donkeys says otherwise.

There is a talking donkey? Why didn't the nuns tell me about that?
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 2 users Like Dom's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, skyking

A post about Kent Hovind followed immediately about talking donkeys. Am I getting catfished here?
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, skyking

(10-05-2019, 12:27 PM)Dom Wrote:
(10-05-2019, 03:21 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Yup.  It looks like the RNA hypothesis is still going strong.  But even if they prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that RNA can develope spontaneously, brainwahsed religious nuts won't believe it because their old book of talking bushes, snakes and donkeys says otherwise.

Probably because nuns couldn't use the word "ass" as per the Bible, and they weren't clever enough to call it Balaam's talking donkey.  (Numbers 22:21-33)  Hmm
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Dom, Dancefortwo, GenesisNemesis

The irony in your post is almost too much for words!
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dancefortwo, GenesisNemesis

Hell we can't even get them to accept that we came from a primate ancestor...

Although if I was a creative little christian I might be able to say that this discovery yet again proves the accuracy of the bible! "See look in the bible, in genesis it is written that man was created from clay! And that god breathed life into it!"

"It's obviously describing this new scientific discovery that was foretold by scripture HALLILUAH!
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 2 users Like Unsapien's post:
  • Dancefortwo, GenesisNemesis

Quote:Hell we can't even get them to accept that we came from a primate ancestor...

Perhaps that's because they haven't come very far?

Tongue
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Unsapien, GenesisNemesis

(10-05-2019, 05:35 PM)Unsapien Wrote:

Hell we can't even get them to accept that we came from a primate ancestor...

Although if I was a creative little christian I might be able to say that this discovery yet again proves the accuracy of the bible! "See look in the bible, in genesis it is written that man was created from clay! And that god breathed life into it!"

"It's obviously describing this new scientific discovery that was foretold by scripture HALLILUAH!

That's Adam and Eve, otherwise known as  Dirtman and Ribwoman.
                                                         T4618
The following 4 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Gwaithmir, Minimalist, Unsapien

(10-05-2019, 12:27 PM)Dom Wrote:

Numbers 22
27 And when the ass saw the angel of the Lord, she fell down under Balaam: and Balaam's anger was kindled, and he smote the ass with a staff.
28 And the Lord opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?
29 And Balaam said unto the ass, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee.
30 And the ass said unto Balaam, Am not I thine ass, upon which thou hast ridden ever since I was thine unto this day? was I ever wont to do so unto thee? and he said, Nay.
31 Then the Lord opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the Lord standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face.

God is such a joker.  He loves pulling his little pranks.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 4 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Dom, Gwaithmir, Dancefortwo, GenesisNemesis