Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NHL 2019-2020

NHL 2019-2020
And so begins another season of hockey.

My team ( NY Rangers) won in a somewhat sloppy affair but fuck it.  2 points is 2 points.  Winnipeg is a solid team, though, and they were missing a couple of their horses.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

NHL 2019-2020
The Wild are kind of meh with me. I followed them when I was laid up in the nursing home, but following a little black dot around on a screen is no longer my idea of fun.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda

NHL 2019-2020
They are trailing Nashville 4-2 midway through the third.

Some years back, FOX Sports tried highlighting the puck with a glowing graphic.  It looked like shit.  Real hockey fans made them stop!

The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Dānu, grympy

NHL 2019-2020
(10-04-2019, 02:35 AM)Minimalist Wrote: They are trailing Nashville 4-2 midway through the third.

Some years back, FOX Sports tried highlighting the puck with a glowing graphic.  It looked like shit.  Real hockey fans made them stop!

My Grandfather, his brother  and my cousins thank them*. 

*My grandfather was Hockey Hall of Fame Inductee Frank Patrick. His brother was my grand Uncle, Lester Patrick.TheCousin was Murray "Muzz" Patrick.  Craig Patrick is also a cousin 

IF you're into  Hockey, there's  a book  "The Patricks; Hockey's Royal Family" . I think it sold about 50 copies, all of which were given to family members .  Blush

There's also bits on Wikipedia, with pictures. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Patr...ce_hockey)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lester_Patrick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzz_Patrick

Me?  Have never taken to Ice hockey; I don't like blood sports. I'm simply proud of my family.

NHL 2019-2020
The Patricks are royalty at Madison Square Garden.

NHL 2019-2020
(10-04-2019, 04:28 PM)Minimalist Wrote: The Patricks are royalty at Madison Square Garden.

Thrilled to hear it.

My Mum's brother Joe  had heart problems, but every year he was time keeper at hockey games at Madison Square Gardens.  (Joe was a New Yorker for 50 years)

'Muzz "was mum's first cousin, so my second cousin.

I only met him once, in 1985 .My wife and I stayed with him at his  wonderful house in Connecticut  . A bear of a man,  like many big men, he was smitten by my  ex wife. . She was five feet and half an inch  tall. 

A personal anecdote  about Muzz  not publicly  known as far as I'm aware:   

Went down to his huge  cellar ,which a was a rec room .On one  wall there were several original framed  sheets/stills of Goofy  playing hockey.  Fascinated, I asked "  Gee, Muzz, they're great , where   did you get them?" 

Muzz replied "Walt Disney gave them to me. I was technical   advisor on that  cartoon. They wanted to know if certain  things were possible, then they would exaggerate for the cartoon" 

I think it's a great a story.   Have no idea if it's true. If not ,it should be.  

Right now, I'm looking at New York  Ranger's puck Muzz gave  me.  I liked Muzz   a lot
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Dānu

NHL 2019-2020
Most people I know that have met NHLers during or after their careers have said that as a general rule they are the most polite of professional athletes.  Probably had to do with coming from small towns in Canada  and ending up in big cities but for whatever reason they were always real gentlemen.

When I was coaching JV hockey the president of the club arranged for former NHL goalie, Gilles Villemure, to give our goalies a few pointers.  One of my goalies asked me, "who is this old guy?"  I said, "he is a former NHL all-star and Vezina Trophy winner.... two things which you will never be!"

I didn't like that kid.  I would have gladly strangled him.  I don't know how I restrained myself sometimes.

Anyway, Gilles was great and most of the kids appreciated him.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • grympy

NHL 2019-2020
(10-05-2019, 03:01 AM)Minimalist Wrote: Most people I know that have met NHLers during or after their careers have said that as a general rule they are the most polite of professional athletes.  Probably had to do with coming from small towns in Canada  and ending up in big cities but for whatever reason they were always real gentlemen.

When I was coaching JV hockey the president of the club arranged for former NHL goalie, Gilles Villemure, to give our goalies a few pointers.  One of my goalies asked me, "who is this old guy?"  I said, "he is a former NHL all-star and Vezina Trophy winner.... two things which you will never be!"

I didn't like that kid.  I would have gladly strangled him.  I don't know how I restrained myself sometimes.

Anyway, Gilles was great and most of the kids appreciated him.

Context: When I was 17, my mates and me referred to our parents  as"The Olds".My mum was  38 at the time, my dad 45. 

I would kill to be 38 again. 

Kinda puts the Who's lyric "Hope I die before I get old"  into   a different perspective don't it  Consider  

Below, a good colour version from 1967 : 

• jerry mcmasters

NHL 2019-2020
I'd settle for my knees being 38 again.

NHL 2019-2020
(10-05-2019, 05:20 AM)Minimalist Wrote: I'd settle for my knees being 38 again.

I think if I had my druthers, I druther my plumbing was 38 again . But knees would probably be more useful. 

These days, my ideal woman is about 35.  THEIR ideal man is about 40.  Blush
  • c172

NHL 2019-2020
(10-04-2019, 02:20 AM)Minimalist Wrote: And so begins another season of hockey.

My team ( NY Rangers) won in a somewhat sloppy affair but fuck it.  2 points is 2 points.  Winnipeg is a solid team, though, and they were missing a couple of their horses.

Get ready for my Leafs. Rangers are indeed better this year, and should make the playoffs. My Leafs will also make the playoffs, but they are way too heavy up top and need better defenses.

In my view, Nylander is expendable. He's a great player, but we need to trade him for a solid smart defenseman.
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org

NHL 2019-2020
(10-04-2019, 06:36 AM)grympy Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 02:35 AM)Minimalist Wrote: They are trailing Nashville 4-2 midway through the third.

My Grandfather, his brother  and my cousins thank them*. 

*My grandfather was Hockey Hall of Fame Inductee Frank Patrick. His brother was my grand Uncle, Lester Patrick.TheCousin was Murray "Muzz" Patrick.  Craig Patrick is also a cousin 

IF you're into  Hockey, there's  a book  "The Patricks; Hockey's Royal Family" . I think it sold about 50 copies, all of which were given to family members .  Blush

There's also bits on Wikipedia, with pictures. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Patr...ce_hockey)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lester_Patrick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzz_Patrick

Me?  Have never taken to Ice hockey; I don't like blood sports. I'm simply proud of my family.

Say hello to my cousin:

Gerald Gallant

And say hello to an old friend I haven't seen since I was a kid. We actually played soccer against each other. I was underaged for the league, but got to play because, not to brag, but I was such a good sniper that despite being 11 years old in the 12-14 age league, I finished second in scoring to this guy listed below:

Rick Vaive
The following 1 user Likes Free's post:
  • grympy

NHL 2019-2020
(10-08-2019, 01:03 AM)Free Wrote:

Get ready for my Leafs. Rangers are indeed better this year, and should make the playoffs. My Leafs will also make the playoffs, but they are way too heavy up top and need better defenses.

In my view, Nylander is expendable. He's a great player, but we need to trade him for a solid smart defenseman.

Oh, good.  Something we can talk about civilly.  Honestly, I knew the Leafs had to re-sign him but $10 million for a guy who hasn't scored more than 25 goals in any season seems excessive and that contract would be a cap buster for most teams.  But, after they gave Marner a similar deal for similar numbers they were pretty well screwed.  Also the kind of player you mention for a trade is not going to come cheap, either, and the Leafs can't have much in the way of remaining cap space. 

Of course we both know what is going to happen.  When the CBA expires the league will pull another lockout and blame the players for the escalating salaries as if they were held at gun point during the negotiations.

And I well remember both Gallant ( who did a super job coaching Las Vegas ) and Rick Vaive.

NHL 2019-2020
Rangers traded Vlad Namestikov to Ottawa for some AHL defender and a 4th round pick.  Mainly to clear cap space.

NHL 2019-2020
He was a lunatic anyway.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/11/sport...artner=rss

Quote:Don Cherry, a Hockey Institution in Canada, Is Fired After Divisive Comments

Cherry, who offered bombastic opinions on television for decades, attacked the patriotism of immigrants in what appears to be his final show.

These fucking people who think they own the flag are a pain.

NHL 2019-2020

I love Hockey, but I stopped watching it when they started putting ads under the ice, as if the ads on the boards were not enough.

Every fucking arena/stadium is named after a giant corporation. 

I miss the days when these places were named "RFK Stadium" and "Candlestick Park".
 Check out my atheist poetry here... https://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/31771 I also go by "RationalPoet"@brianrrs37 on Twitter and "Brian James" Rational Poet on FB. 

NHL 2019-2020
Money talks, man.

At least they haven't started putting ads on the players....... yet.

NHL 2019-2020
Maple Leafs fire their coach.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mapl...e-babcock/

Because its always the coach's fault when the forwards don't backcheck, the defense blows assignments and the goalies whiffs on the shot!

Quote:The Maple Leafs have given up the second-most goals against in the NHL so far this season, have the 27th-ranked penalty kill and are 18th on the power play.

Toronto is a tough market.

NHL 2019-2020
(11-21-2019, 11:46 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Maple Leafs fire their coach.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mapl...e-babcock/

Because its always the coach's fault when the forwards don't backcheck, the defense blows assignments and the goalies whiffs on the shot!

Quote:The Maple Leafs have given up the second-most goals against in the NHL so far this season, have the 27th-ranked penalty kill and are 18th on the power play.

Toronto is a tough market.

To be fair, both Tavares and Mariner have been missing from the lineup alternately since mid October. We haven't really had a chance to see what the team can do with a full healthy lineup.

And as I said before, Nylander needs to be traded for a defensive player.

NHL 2019-2020
But whoever said hockey fans were fair?  I'm having the same dispute over at my NY Rangers forum where some guys want Lindy Ruff fired because..... I don't know why.  One guy said when he was coaching in Dallas the team gave up 200 goals 4 years in a row.  I asked how many he was on ice for?  (Answer:  none) 

In every sport the coach serves one major purpose - to be a scapegoat when things go badly.  If these guys don't know how to play the game by the time they make the NHL a coach is not going to teach them.

Babcock will be fine.

NHL 2019-2020
After the last Rangers-Leafs game I have to agree with you, Free.  The Leafs have some fantastic forwards but they approach their own defensive zone as if they think it is mined and they lost the map.

If I was Andersen I'd sue them for non-support.

NHL 2019-2020
The penalty for high-sticking is normally 2 minutes.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa...story.html

Quote:Two Canadian men hospitalized after beating each other with hockey sticks

Quote:The York Regional Police in Ontario said one of the men was under arrest after the Friday morning incident.

So much for the renowned Canadian politeness.

NHL 2019-2020
Q: Why do Canadians do it doggy style?

A: So they can both watch the hockey game.
The following 2 users Like no one's post:
  • Minimalist, Free

NHL 2019-2020
Hey, Free.

Your cousin got a raw deal here.

https://www.nhl.com/news/gerard-gallant-...-313970492

Quote:Gallant fired as coach of Golden Knights, replaced by DeBoer

First coach in Vegas history was 118-75-20 in three seasons, including trip to Cup Final in 2018

NHL 2019-2020
(01-15-2020, 10:17 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Hey, Free.

Your cousin got a raw deal here.

https://www.nhl.com/news/gerard-gallant-...-313970492

Quote:Gallant fired as coach of Golden Knights, replaced by DeBoer

First coach in Vegas history was 118-75-20 in three seasons, including trip to Cup Final in 2018

Yeah that was stupid. The GM is trying to cover his own ass for not making any good deals. The coach can only play what he's been dealt.

He'll get picked up by some other team in a few months.