Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bring your bible to school day

Over 500k students expected to observe

Quote:More than a half a million students in the United States are expected to take part in this year’s “Bring your Bible to School day” observance.

Launched by the socially conservative group Focus on the Family in 2014, the event will take place on Thursday and is centered on students sharing their Christian faith with peers.

(10-04-2019, 02:18 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: Over 500k students expected to observe

Quote:More than a half a million students in the United States are expected to take part in this year’s “Bring your Bible to School day” observance.

Launched by the socially conservative group Focus on the Family in 2014, the event will take place on Thursday and is centered on students sharing their Christian faith with peers.

Public schools?

That sounds like sailing very close to the wind. From reading that article, it seems like  that group of  hateful bigots is observing the letter of the law but ignoring the spirit. So what's new.?

If I had a child at one of those schools, he/she would be staying home that day.
The following 3 users Like grympy's post:
  • brunumb, Phaedrus, skyking

Fuck them and their xtian faith!

Give them detention if they talk in class!

Little nazi shits.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Phaedrus

Poor Drew Brees: https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/2019/septem...the-family

From the article: "Many people with same-sex attractions choose not to identify as homosexual, lesbian, gay or bisexual. Instead, their primary identification comes from their faith in Jesus Christ,” the Focus on the Family website details. “They identify as Christians, followers of Jesus and God’s children. And they choose to live according to biblical truths and values, reserving sexual expression for marriage between a man and a woman.”.

“We understand that this may be a difficult struggle, requiring help and assistance from other Christians,” the website adds."

Panic Panic Panic Panic Panic
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Phaedrus

How depressing.
Test
The following 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • grympy, Phaedrus, skyking

Start a bring your Quran to school day and watch them howl.
The following 3 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • Bucky Ball, brunumb, Phaedrus

Bring your copy of Ingersoll's "Some Mistakes Of Moses" to school. Whatch 'em beshit themselves.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Phaedrus, Gwaithmir

Sometimes it's hard to not just give up on humanity.   Dunno
No gods necessary
The following 3 users Like brunumb's post:
  • Phaedrus, Vivian Darkbloom, outtathereligioncloset

(10-04-2019, 03:26 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote: How depressing.

Indeed.

There are few things I dislike more than pious humbugerry .

The Catholics are just as slimy,  mendacious and   unctuous. .
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

What? No Qurans?

I always have my bible with me.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

"I brought my Bible, guys. Where's the bonfire?"
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • skyking, outtathereligioncloset

A book that greatly impressed me many years ago was Thomas Paine's "Age Of Reason". I wish all young persons could be given a copy.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Gwaithmir, outtathereligioncloset

I'd never heard of "The Christian Post" before this.

What a sickening, repugnant collection of bigotry, homophobia, hypocrisy, and ignorance is that site.

I note that Drew Brees' involvement was not without controversy; Big Easy Magazine criticised him for
associating with the conservative Christian organisation due to its stance on LGBT issues.

"Brees didn’t just film a commercial urging kids to bring their bibles to school. He filmed an ad for one
of the most vehemently anti-LGBTQ organisations in the country" the Friendly Atheist blog claimed.

Incidentally, if it were public (state-run) schools in Australia, this sort of thing wouldn't be allowed, as
it's illegal to proselytise on government property such as schools.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Phaedrus

(10-04-2019, 05:25 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: "I brought my Bible, guys. Where's the bonfire?"

That's a joke, isn't it?  You're not really advocating burning the bible, or any book? 

I haven't had a bible for 40 years  it  simply got lost.  I DO have a copy of "The Bhagavad  Gita "* ( "'Song Of God") , which impressed me as profound.  Hinduism has no bible, it has revered books, but they are not dogma,.  

Some quotes from the Gita:: 

The source of all mental agitation is your own mind.

The intellect helps to make the right choice. Develop it. Strengthen it.

Happiness is a state of mind and has nothing to do with the external world.

Anger is an aberration of desire.

Let a man lift himself by his own self alone, let him not lower himself; for this self alone is the friend of oneself and this self alone is the enemy of oneself.

—The Bhagavad Gita

The actions of a great man are an inspiration for others. Whatever he does becomes a standard for others to follow.

—The Bhagavad Gita

These are some of the more practical and secular quotes.  However, I don't want to deceive; the Gita takes the form of a dialogue between a man called Arjuna and the god Krishna. It deals  with the soul,  the nature and cause of suffering, and god. 

I will not speak speak  further about Hinduism here, except to say I once came across  a man who insisted he was both  a devout Hindu and an atheist.   Consider  

* "The Bhagavad Gita" is a small apart of  "The Mahabharata", a  history  of mankind, told in allegory in the form of the story of one family.
The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Gwaithmir

I have no problem burning books that are written by and for shitheads. The bible thumpers claim it is the best seller in history*, so there are more copies out there.

*Based on the number of copies printed, NOT the number sold. The Bible is the most common "free" book. I got one when I reported to Boot Camp. (New Testament, that is.)
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus

(10-04-2019, 11:01 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I have no problem burning books that are written by and for shitheads. The bible thumpers claim it is the best seller in history*, so there are more copies out there.

*Based on the number of copies printed, NOT the number sold. The Bible is the most common "free" book. I got one when I reported to Boot Camp. (New Testament, that is.)

When Queen Elizabeth was crowned in 1953, every school child  Australia received a free copy of the gospels. 

Afraid I have a huge problem with burning books , any books. If youse doesn't like 'em don't fucking read 'em. 

Also  think that may be unconstitutional under  your First Amendment .I think that was used to end censorship . I might be wrong, what  with not being American and all. 

Modern history has shown that people who burn books will eventually "burn" people   (also read   "kill") 

If you haven't read the book 'Fahrenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury  or seen either of the two films,  I strongly recommend them, especially the book.   After reading your comment, it seems  the book remains relevant  today.  Consider
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Gwaithmir

You do what you think is right, I'll do what the fuck I do regardless of your opinion. Get over yourself.

(10-04-2019, 08:30 PM)SYZ Wrote: I'd never heard of "The Christian Post" before this.

What a sickening, repugnant collection of bigotry, homophobia, hypocrisy, and ignorance is that site.

I note that Drew Brees' involvement was not without controversy; Big Easy Magazine criticised him for
associating with the conservative Christian organisation due to its stance on LGBT issues.

"Brees didn’t just film a commercial urging kids to bring their bibles to school. He filmed an ad for one
of the most vehemently anti-LGBTQ organisations in the country" the Friendly Atheist blog claimed.

Incidentally, if it were public (state-run) schools in Australia, this sort of thing wouldn't be allowed, as
it's illegal to proselytise on government property such as schools.

Yeah, there's a lot of similar christian news sites out there.

(10-04-2019, 11:01 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I have no problem burning books that are written by and for shitheads. The bible thumpers claim it is the best seller in history*, so there are more copies out there.

Before the advent of electronic media, there were two books that "outsold" the Bible (print runs) in Australia:
The telephone directories, one white pages, and one pink pages.  Both delivered free to every household.
It'd actually be difficult to buy a Bible at any bricks and mortar store in Australia now.  

The cheapest Bible I could find on eBay Australia was $7.99 which seems to be overpriced by seven dollars.
If you care to spend a little more for a fine paper edition, you get 1,300 sheets of top quality toilet paper in
a convenient, discrete black cover.  This works out at 12 rolls of conventional toilet paper, but at half the cost.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

(10-04-2019, 10:55 PM)grympy Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 05:25 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: "I brought my Bible, guys. Where's the bonfire?"

That's a joke, isn't it?  You're not really advocating burning the bible, or any book? 

It's a hypothetical response (hence the quotation-marks), the object being to troll the shit out of folk who obviously need it.

Put on your sarcasm glasses and reread it, you'll see.

(10-04-2019, 11:45 PM)grympy Wrote: Also  think that may be unconstitutional under  your First Amendment .I think that was used to end censorship . I might be wrong, what  with not being American and all.

You are incorrect. The Constitution only applies to governmental organs. A private person or organization is free to burn or otherwise dispose of any of his/her/its property in accordance with relevant laws about pollution, fire-hazard, etc.

If I had the money and desire, I could buy every Bible in the county, obtain a burn-permit, and fire 'em up.

I have no interest in that -- like you, I'm of the don't like it, don't read it school of thought. But it's only unConstitutional if it's organized by a government entity.  My sarcastic response you quoted is aimed at that point..
On hiatus.
The following 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard, Inkubus, skyking

(10-04-2019, 11:01 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The Bible is the most common "free" book. I got one when I reported to Boot Camp. (New Testament, that is.)

Deploying to Saudi Arabia, we were issued NIV Bibles complete with desert-camo covers. We were told not to take it off-base; possession of a Bible was illegal in the Kingdom.

I read mine between fire alarms and in-flights at Sta 3 in Riyadh, and had great conversations with my driver -- Tommy Boyd, a Presbyterian who'd left theology studies to join the Air Force. Great guy, great talks we had. I'd get to a point in the book, and then pick his brain about it. I had been an atheist for ten years by then, he didn't care. 

I wish more believers were like him, the world would be a better place.
On hiatus.

(10-05-2019, 12:21 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: You do what you think is right, I'll do what the fuck I do regardless of your opinion. Get over yourself.

Interesting ad hominem response.

I gave my reason for my position, because I think the issue is important . Understanding your reasoning would help me critically examine my own position. It's only an opinion, I may well be wrong . 

I have no problem with agreeing to differ.

Hell, when I was in grades 1-6, the Bible was required in every class. Thumbsdown I never brought one and me dad told the principal of the school I ain't got to bring it. Public school, not church.

rmfr
It shall always be more important to know how to think rather than to be told what to think - rmfr

Where you see something terrible, I am more optimistic! 

Looks like a good day to launch a book burning campaign!

ROFL2
Welcome to the Atheist Forums on AtheistDiscussion.org