Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bring your bible to school day

(10-13-2019, 12:34 AM)arakish Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 02:18 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: Over 500k students expected to observe

Quote:More than a half a million students in the United States are expected to take part in this year’s “Bring your Bible to School day” observance.

Launched by the socially conservative group Focus on the Family in 2014, the event will take place on Thursday and is centered on students sharing their Christian faith with peers.

Hell, when I was in grades 1-6, the Bible was required in every class.  Thumbsdown  I never brought one and me dad told the principal of the school I ain't got to bring it.  Public school, not church.

rmfr

Fascinating.

I went to a Catholic boys school.  Never actually saw a bible. In fact we were actively discouraged from reading it, lest we "become confused"  . I kid you not.

So naturally, I went and read the whole thing when I was 16. What  can I say? I though the god of the OT was a total cunt. Quite liked Jesus, but  thought it wise to keep my opinions to myself.- Deadpan Coffee Drinker
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Gwaithmir

(10-14-2019, 01:49 AM)grympy Wrote: Hell, when I was in grades 1-6, the Bible was required in every class.  Thumbsdown  I never brought one and me dad told the principal of the school I ain't got to bring it.  Public school, not church.

rmfr

I had limited Bible study in Catholic school. In grades 6-8, I had to learn from a bowdlerized edition of the St. Jerome Bible. Despite the editing, it still portrayed God as an evil prick. It was an important factor in my eventual atheism.