Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh Canada!

Oh Canada!
(10-22-2019, 02:12 AM)c172 Wrote: CBC projecting a Liberal government. Trudeau remains.

Let's hope he is smarter then Harper when he was in a minority government and actually goes on to make a coalition government so we don't go back into election in 18 months. It shouldn't be so difficult for Trudeau to form a coalition with the NDP and maybe even the Bloc (provided he backs down on the contestation of the Law 21, else both party share a lot of common policies).

I think the NDP flopped because of strategical voting for Liberals to avoid a Conservative government. In Federal election, the Left vote is more divided then the Right one. I'm pretty glad that twit Maxime Bernier has lost his bid. I love the fact the Rhinoceros Party (a troll party) presented a guy also named Maxime Bernier in Beauce.
The following 1 user Likes epronovost's post:
  • Paleophyte

Oh Canada!
Looks like he even lost his own riding.

I thought I saw the PP with a seat as well, but then that looked like it was retracted.
Is this sig thing on?

Oh Canada!
(10-22-2019, 03:04 AM)c172 Wrote: Looks like he even lost his own riding. 

By a fairly wide margin to a vanilla conservative candidate who was a former mayor of the area. It isn't such a big surprise.

Oh Canada!
Nio more seats. 157-121, with the BQ in third.
Is this sig thing on?

Oh Canada!
Well the Liberals pulled a Trump there though. They have less of the popular vote (by 1.5%) then the Conservative, but significantly more of the deputation. Parlementary systems can be a bummer for popular vote. Though I am certainly happy Conservative didn't form this government (not that they could have formed any viable coalition anyway), it's high time we push for that reform on the electoral process.

Oh Canada!
#wexit is now trending (pertaining to a Western Canadian sentiment towards breaking away from Canada).
Is this sig thing on?

Oh Canada!
(09-26-2019, 06:41 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Does Canada have a strong minstrel show history like the US?

I never thought Canada was big on slavery and it was the terminus for the underground railroad.

And, what does it matter what someone did when they were young?  We all did stupid shit when we were young.

Don't get like the PC crowd down here.  They are their own worst enemy.

He wasn't young he was 29, and he was a teacher at the school, and he, like all the other teachers had to take a racial sensitivity course. He knew it was wrong.

But that has nothing to do with why he didn't deserve to win last night.
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

Oh Canada!
(10-22-2019, 02:22 PM)c172 Wrote: #wexit is now trending (pertaining to a Western Canadian sentiment towards breaking away from Canada).

Yeah they've been talking about separation on and off for years, pretty much every time the liberals win an election.

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

Oh Canada!
(09-26-2019, 07:22 PM)Astreja Wrote: With the current political chaos, I think the best we can hope for is a minority government with a coalition of some sort.  I live in a riding that is historically NDP, occasionally goes Liberal, never goes PC.  Right now the NDP candidate seems to be the one to vote for, but I won't be upset if the Liberal gets in.

That sounds like my riding, but there was little chance that Catherine McKenna was going to be ousted.

Oh Canada!
(10-22-2019, 02:56 AM)epronovost Wrote: Let's hope he is smarter then Harper when he was in a minority government and actually goes on to make a coalition government so we don't go back into election in 18 months. It shouldn't be so difficult for Trudeau to form a coalition with the NDP and maybe even the Bloc (provided he backs down on the contestation of the Law 21, else both party share a lot of common policies).

I think the NDP flopped because of strategical voting for Liberals to avoid a Conservative government. In Federal election, the Left vote is more divided then the Right one. I'm pretty glad that twit Maxime Bernier has lost his bid. I love the fact the Rhinoceros Party (a troll party) presented a guy also named Maxime Bernier in Beauce.

I guess how long the Liberals can keep a coalition will depend on how much Liberal corruption Jagmeet is willing to tolerate.

Scheer better not think that because they won the popular vote that he should stick around or the CONs will lose the next election too., assuming Trudeau hasn't managed to bankrupt the country by then.

Oh Canada!
The result is pretty much what was predicted. Liberals will form a minority gov't likely backed up by the NDP. I didn't really want any of them to win but that seems like the least worst outcome.

I'm unhappy that once again my vote didn't count. I might as well have stayed home for all that it was worth. Need to change that first-past-the-post system.
The following 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post:
  • Dom

Oh Canada!
(10-22-2019, 05:33 PM)Paleophyte Wrote: The result is pretty much what was predicted. Liberals will form a minority gov't likely backed up by the NDP. I didn't really want any of them to win but that seems like the least worst outcome.

I'm unhappy that once again my vote didn't count. I might as well have stayed home for all that it was worth. Need to change that first-past-the-post system.

Can I ask for who you voted for? (I personnaly voted for the Greens).

Also, what kind of candidate would you like to see in the future?
The following 2 users Like epronovost's post:
  • Paleophyte, Dom

Oh Canada!
(10-22-2019, 08:36 PM)epronovost Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 05:33 PM)Paleophyte Wrote: The result is pretty much what was predicted. Liberals will form a minority gov't likely backed up by the NDP. I didn't really want any of them to win but that seems like the least worst outcome.

Can I ask for who you voted for? (I personnaly voted for the Greens).

Also, what kind of candidate would you like to see in the future?

I didn't know how I was going to vote until I got behind the screen other than I'd sooner burn in hell than vote Con or PPC. I ended up going NDP because they have a strong historical presence in this riding and were running a good candidate. The Liberal candidate won, which I'm not entirely unhappy about (not thrilled either) but it just underscores the fundamental lie of first-past the post democracy. My vote clearly did not count. This is one reason that we have low election turn-out.

There are a few things that could be done to improve the quality of the candidates, but they aren't really the problem. One of the main problems is this unholy trinity of person-party-prime minister. Who exactly am I voting for?!? There was a really wonderful lady in a friend's riding who was running for the PCs. I'd never have voted for her in a million years because a vote for her was a vote for Scheer. I think that fixing that will require major overhauls to the structure of government that go far beyond simply changing the voting system but a discussion of that would need another thread.
The following 2 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • c172, Dom

Oh Canada!
Lots of sparks these days in Canadian politics. The Liberal government of Justin Trudeau is currently embroilled in yet another corruption scandal that, while less serious than the last one, might actually send us again in elections next fall. To make a long story very short, this current corruption scandal concerns the name of a charity named WE - UNIS that provides student-grants. The PM wife's and several and family members of other ministers do work for that charity in salaried position or as paid spokepersons rising doubt as if the choice of this charity to administer a 900 million dollar grant program for a 19.5 million contract wasn't influenced by this fact. The leader of hte opposition has called for the Prime Minister to resign and the Bloc Québécois has pushed the envelop further, threatening to topple the government with a motion of censur if Justin Trudeau refuses. The Liberal government of Trudeau has been mired in corruption scandals after corruption scandals to rythm that is a bit surprising even by Liberal standards, a party well known for it's long history of corruption scandals. While it's unprobable that election would be launched in fall if only because the Conservatives don't have a leader to replace Sheer yet, it leaves to wonder if Trudeau will not sink his party with him.
  • Dom, RobbyPants

Oh Canada!
(07-24-2020, 07:02 PM)epronovost Wrote: ...it leaves to wonder if Trudeau will not sink his party with him.

I hope not.

Oh Canada!
Canada gave us RUSH, and the Kids in the Hall, I will be forever grateful.
The following 1 user Likes no one's post:
  • RobbyPants

Oh Canada!
(07-24-2020, 11:51 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:
(07-24-2020, 07:02 PM)epronovost Wrote: ...it leaves to wonder if Trudeau will not sink his party with him.

I hope not.

The problem in canadian federal politics right now is that we have a party with fairly good politics, a poor leader, a good team and a corruption problem and the main opposition is a party with bad politics, potentially a competant leader (Peter MacKay has a nice pedigree, a certain composure and isn't a complete crank), a poor team and not much of a corruption problem. That's not too brilliant, but then again, it's not the US, but that's a very low bar to clear.
  • Fireball, RobbyPants