Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preparing for a planned power outage

(10-08-2019, 12:05 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 07:17 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: We're listed again (San Joaquin County).

https://www.kcra.com/article/pgande-powe...a/29389633

What exactly is a "strong and dry wind event" in terms of wind speed, gusting, and humidity?  And for
how long is the proposed shutdown, and who officially authorises it?

Huh

We get Red Flag warnings issued by the National Weather Service typically around Sept-Nov. It means high winds, low humidities and warm temperatures and the wildfire risk is very high.
As far as I can tell, the power company (Pacific Gas & Electric) has been warning of possible deliberate power outages for the days and times the red flag warnings are forecast and when the red flag conditions have passed, the power is turned back on.

https://www.fire.ca.gov/programs/communi...r-watches/

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 2 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, SYZ

(10-07-2019, 11:25 PM)grympy Wrote: After all that.

My internet was recently down for a couple of hours.

So  I went and had a lie down for a couple of hours. Tongue

--one of the good things about getting older; I can take a nap any time I like.

Around 2 to 3 AM is my old fart bladder time. No napping then.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

(10-08-2019, 02:38 AM)brewerb Wrote:

Snap.

Do you yet have the trifecta? IE sneeze, fart and piss simultaneously?
The following 3 users Like grympy's post:
  • Tres Leches, brewerb, GenesisNemesis

(10-08-2019, 03:23 AM)grympy Wrote:

Snap.

I can sneeze and pee at the same time. Thank you, childbirth.   Cool
I've never farted in my life, though.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

• brewerb, GenesisNemesis

(10-08-2019, 02:02 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(10-07-2019, 07:17 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: We're listed again (San Joaquin County).

I didn't know you're so close to my neck of the woods.

I saw that on the news earlier today and got worked up into a lather about Pacific Gas & Electric. 
Their attorneys requested the bankruptcy court to allow millions in performance based bonuses for their executives.
This after 85+ people burned to death and 10,000 + homes were destroyed in the Camp Fire last November, a fire that was PG&E's fault. 

They want performance-based bonuses after that.

Now, instead of building and maintaining good infrastructure to begin with, they've reached the point where it's necessary to cut the power for everyone, Third World-style, to prevent fires when there's a red flag warning. It's all just bullshit.

-Teresa

I don't understand the logic.

Do they happen to have a lot of power lines near trees? 

Did the courts allow the bonuses?  Seems  possibly more  appropriate to charges some of those people with Criminal  negligence . Any talk of anyone suing individuals for  wrongful deaths? 

Here we call them"bush fires'" and they are taken very seriously .It is still spring here. Official fire warning today is 1; Low to moderate.

(10-08-2019, 03:36 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(10-08-2019, 02:38 AM)brewerb Wrote: Around 2 to 3 AM is my old fart bladder time. No napping then.

Snap.

-Teresa

Never? Really. Of course, it's like sweating; a lady never sweats, she 'glows' . I guess a lady never farts, she passes  wind, fluffs or cuts the cheese.  Vulgar men such   I fart about 16 times day .Why it happened only last night.  I was in bed watching TV at the time.  I just had to raise the cover and  deeply offend myself .  hobo
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Tres Leches

(10-08-2019, 03:51 AM)grympy Wrote:
(10-08-2019, 03:36 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(10-08-2019, 03:23 AM)grympy Wrote: Snap.

-Teresa

Never? Really. Of course, it's like sweating; a lady never sweats, she 'glows' . I guess a lady never farts, she passes  wind, fluffs or cuts the cheese.  Vulgar men such   I fart about 16 times day .Why it happened only last night.  I was in bed watching TV at the time.  I just had to raise the cover and  deeply offend myself .  hobo

That's right and I never burp either.  Chuckle

-Teresa

The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • grympy

Sorry, Genesis, your thread has blown way off topic!

-Teresa

The following 1 user Likes Tres Leches's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(10-08-2019, 03:41 AM)grympy Wrote:
(10-08-2019, 02:02 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:

I didn't know you're so close to my neck of the woods.

I saw that on the news earlier today and got worked up into a lather about Pacific Gas & Electric. 
Their attorneys requested the bankruptcy court to allow millions in performance based bonuses for their executives.
This after 85+ people burned to death and 10,000 + homes were destroyed in the Camp Fire last November, a fire that was PG&E's fault. 

Now, instead of building and maintaining good infrastructure to begin with, they've reached the point where it's necessary to cut the power for everyone, Third World-style, to prevent fires when there's a red flag warning. It's all just bullshit.

-Teresa

Did the courts allow the bonuses?  Seems  possibly more  appropriate to charges some of those people with Criminal  negligence . Any talk of anyone suing individuals for  wrongful deaths? 

Here we call them"bush fires'" and they are taken very seriously .It is still spring here. Official fire warning today is 1; Low to moderate.

Yes, there are a lot of power lines up in the woods and the utility hasn't taken care over the years to clear the brush away from the power lines to help prevent fires. They should have just buried the lines way back when they were being built but to save money most of the infrastructure was built above ground.
There has been talk of criminal negligence and the utility has declared bankruptcy, wanting the customers to bail them out with higher rates... it's a giant mess. Lots of litigation. I believe the bonuses are still being litigated.
The Camp Fire last November was apocalyptic and I hope we never see a fire like that again.

-Teresa

• GenesisNemesis, grympy

(10-08-2019, 04:07 AM)Tres Leches Wrote:
(10-08-2019, 03:41 AM)grympy Wrote:
(10-08-2019, 02:02 AM)Tres Leches Wrote: I didn't know you're so close to my neck of the woods.

-Teresa

Yes, there are a lot of power lines up in the woods and the utility hasn't taken care over the years to clear the brush away from the power lines to help prevent fires. They should have just buried the lines way back when they were being built but to save money most of the infrastructure was built above ground.
There has been talk of criminal negligence and the utility has declared bankruptcy, wanting the customers to bail them out with higher rates... it's a giant mess. Lots of litigation. I believe the bonuses are still being litigated.
The Camp Fire last November was apocalyptic and I hope we never see a fire like that again.

-Teresa

My father lived in Paradise, by the way, and we stayed in his house while he was in Feather River Hospital two months before everything was destroyed. Had he lived he would've had to deal with the fire and that would've taken a toll on him. We did manage to save some of his things before he died like his records.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Tres Leches

We have a bushfire problem in the sticks where I live.

A lot of our power lines are SWER distributors.

[Image: rural-electrification-in-india-11-638.jpg?cb=1419935267]

The obvious problem with this is that if a tree, or even a branch or sapling falls
on to the aerial wire without breaking it, and the recloser fails, the tree or branch
earths the positive wire, and it catches fire—particularly if the wood is wet and
more conductive, and offers less resistance than the earth return.  This was an
earlier, and much cheaper way of distributing electricity in isolated rural regions,
and should've been replaced decades ago.

Unfortunately, our government would rather fight major bushfires every summer.      Angry
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Tres Leches

Snap.

Not yet, and lets not discuss sharting.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • grympy

(10-07-2019, 11:25 PM)grympy Wrote: --one of the good things about getting older; I can take a nap any time I like.
And times when you don't like. Sadcryface
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • grympy