Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To know evangelical Christians is to dislike them, study says

https://baptistnews.com/article/to-know-...aJfOVVKiUn

The better Americans know evangelical Christians, the less they like them, according to a recent study from the Pew Research Center.

The wide-ranging What Americans Know About Religion study found that, in general, people who are more familiar with a religion other than their own tend to express more favorable views toward members of that faith.
The survey also found that those who know the most about the teachings of a religion other than their own are more likely to rate adherents to that faith more favorably.
“One notable exception to this pattern is evangelical Christians,” the study said.
Asked to rate groups on a “feeling thermometer” ranging from zero (coldest and most negative) to 100 (warmest and most positive), respondents who could answer at least 25 of 32 questions designed to measure the public’s knowledge about religion in general gave evangelicals an average temperature of 43 degrees. Those who correctly answered eight or less viewed evangelicals more warmly, at 53 degrees.

--------

People who answered 8 questions correctly or less rated atheists as 43% on the scale.  Those who answered 25-32 questions correctly rated atheists as 55% "warm".
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Phaedrus, julep

(10-26-2019, 09:04 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: https://baptistnews.com/article/to-know-...aJfOVVKiUn

The better Americans know evangelical Christians, the less they like them, according to a recent study from the Pew Research Center.

The wide-ranging What Americans Know About Religion study found that, in general, people who are more familiar with a religion other than their own tend to express more favorable views toward members of that faith.
The survey also found that those who know the most about the teachings of a religion other than their own are more likely to rate adherents to that faith more favorably.
“One notable exception to this pattern is evangelical Christians,” the study said.
Asked to rate groups on a “feeling thermometer” ranging from zero (coldest and most negative) to 100 (warmest and most positive), respondents who could answer at least 25 of 32 questions designed to measure the public’s knowledge about religion in general gave evangelicals an average temperature of 43 degrees. Those who correctly answered eight or less viewed evangelicals more warmly, at 53 degrees.

--------

People who answered 8 questions correctly or less rated atheists as 43% on the scale.  Those who answered 25-32 questions correctly rated atheists as 55% "warm".

WE are rated the same as evangelicals? Well isn't that just fucking dandy. Almost enough to destroy a bloke's sense superiority over evangelicals .  Of course it's obvious ; the study is deeply flawed  Consider .

Just did the survey 15/15. I suspect most members would blizt it. If they were going to ask questions about how people feel about atheism, they should have had a few questions about atheism. In my experience, many believers do not understand what atheism entails.
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • brewerb

13/15.

'Which religious tradition is most closely associated with Kabbalah?' I said Zoroastrianism. It's Judaism.

And I put Saturday for the start of the Jewish Sabbath.

(10-26-2019, 09:12 PM)grympy Wrote:
(10-26-2019, 09:04 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: https://baptistnews.com/article/to-know-...aJfOVVKiUn

--------

WE are rated the same as evangelicals? Well isn't that just fucking dandy. Almost enough to destroy a bloke's sense superiority over evangelicals .  Of course it's obvious ; the study is deeply flawed  Consider .

Just did the survey 15/15.   I suspect most members would blizt it. If they were going to ask questions about how people feel about atheism, they should have had a few questions about atheism.  In my experience,  many believers do not understand what atheism entails.

Among the knowledgeable, those who answered 25 of 32 questions correctly, atheists got a score of 55% to 43% for evangelicals.  I find that encouraging.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

(10-26-2019, 09:27 PM)Inkubus Wrote: 13/15.

'Which religious tradition is most closely associated with Kabbalah?' I said Zoroastrianism. It's Judaism.

And I put Saturday for the start of the Jewish Sabbath.

Saturday IS the Sabbath day.  The Sabbath begins at sunset Friday and ends at sunset Saturday .

"Kabbalah 'is form of Jewish mysticism,.  You might have been thinking the Kaaba , in Mecca ,an easy mistake.

"The Kaaba (Arabic: كَعْبَة‎ [i]kaʿbah[/i] IPA: [kaʕba], "Cube"), also referred to as al-Kaʿbah al-Musharrafah (Arabic: ٱلْكَعْبَة ٱلْمُشَرَّفَة‎, the Holy Ka'bah), is a building at the center of Islam's most important mosque, Great Mosque of Mecca (Arabic: ٱلْمَسْجِد ٱلْحَرَام‎, The Sacred Mosque), in the Hejazi city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia.[1] It is the most sacred site in Islam.[2] It is considered by Muslims to be the Bayt Allāh (Arabic: بَيْت ٱلله‎, "House of God"), and has a similar role to the Tabernacle and Holy of Holies in Judaism. Its location determines the qiblah (Arabic: قِبْلَة‎, direction of prayer). Wherever they are in the world, Muslims are expected to face the Kaaba when performing Salah, the Islamic prayer  "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaaba

Quite recently we had one of these cases where a girl died because the parents couldn't be arsed to call a doctor. Because of god, the great healer, who takes care of his own. The parents are charged with murder by neglect, as it should be. But the comments sections of our papers are full with evangelicals coming to the rescue, because the state, in their opinion, has no business to interfere in religious freedom. I never saw anything like that before and didn't know that these nutjobs are that easily mobilized in our region.

Yeah, it's easy to dislike them. Rather to despise them.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 2 users Like abaris's post:
  • Minimalist, Gwaithmir

(10-26-2019, 09:51 PM)abaris Wrote: Yeah, it's easy to dislike them. Rather to despise them.

I'd never had much contact with evangelicals until my youngest daughter was dating a boy named David who was the son of a couple of nutcase Evangelicals.  

Jesusfuckingchrist, I was never more disgusted in my life.  The parents were beyond the pale. It was a spare the rod, spoil the child world view. They hit their kids when they were younger but took to grounding them as they got older.  They were home schooling their teenage kids who did NOT want to be homeschooled.  If the boyfriend misbehaved he was gounded for a month and was only allowed out of his room for a ten minute shower.  During his imprisonment (because that's what it was) he was required to hand write an entire page out of the Bible everyday in clear legable print.  Being a typical rebellious teenager he waited until his parents were asleep and snuck out of his bedroom window in the middle of the night and usually came over to see my daughter at 2 in the morning or wandered the streets getting into more serious trouble.

If they found out David snuck out, which they usually did,  they wouldn't let him in the house unless he quoted a passage from the Bible.  Most of the time he refuse this stupid tactic and would end up sleeping in their backyard shed for a week or two. His brothers would sneak him some food.    

This whole thing got so ridiculous that I phoned Family Services anonymously. Family Services made the parents take parenting classes but they only went one time.  More crazy crap happened and I phoned Family Services AGAIN.   I phoned Family Services THREE TIMES on these fucked up Evangelicals!      

The boyfriend suffered from severe depression and was often suicidal.  I phoned the suicide hot line a few times trying to get some help for this kid. One time they sent the police out to their house and took the boyfriend to the hospital for observation.  The Evangelical parents were totally clueless as to what they were doing,  not only David,  but all their other kids too. There were 6 kids. 

One time I went over to pick up a bike my daughter had left over there and they had a large dog in a way too small cage in their front room whining pathetically to get out.  I should have phoned the Animal Cruelity on these fucked up people too but I was so furious at everything else they did I couldn't grasp one more bit of insanity from these idiot Evangelicals.

This went on for almost two years.  My daughter finally, FINALLY  had enough of David and his family and broke up with him.  I'm so glad.  It was wearing me down.  One day, a couple months after she broke up with him, she fell to pieces crying and confessed that David had hit her many times causing horrible bruises.  He always hit her in the legs so her pants would cover up the bruises.  What does this say about Evangelicals?  Sadly, it says the crazyness will continue onto the next generation. 

I'd been an atheist all my life but it was because of ^^^ THIS ^^^  very experierience that I sought out an atheist forum and I found  TFTSNBN on the internet which seemed a nice fit for me.  That experience is why I'm here at AD.  

Fucking Evangelicals.  Sometimes I wish there was a hell because that's the only place they deserve.  

Sorry about the long post.
                                                         T4618

I dislike evangelicals no matter their message. I dislike door-to-door salesmen as well. If I want to know your opinion I'll start a conversation. If I want to buy your product, I'll inquire. Leave me TF alone otherwise. I give you that much consideration, certainly you can do the same for me.
On hiatus.

(10-26-2019, 09:12 PM)grympy Wrote:  WE are rated the same as evangelicals? Well isn't that just fucking dandy. Almost enough to destroy a bloke's sense superiority over evangelicals .  Of course it's obvious ; the study is deeply flawed  Consider .

Just did the survey 15/15.   I suspect most members would blizt it. If they were going to ask questions about how people feel about atheism, they should have had a few questions about atheism.  In my experience,  many believers do not understand what atheism entails.

Go easy on them. It's not their fault they can't get past the atheists eating babies thing.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

(10-27-2019, 01:30 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I dislike evangelicals no matter their message. I dislike door-to-door salesmen as well.

I dislike both too.  The big difference is that the salesman has an actual product and not a fucking bronze age fairy tale.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • grympy, evenheathen

(10-27-2019, 01:53 AM)Minimalist Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 01:30 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I dislike evangelicals no matter their message. I dislike door-to-door salesmen as well.

I dislike both too.  The big difference is that the salesman has an actual product and not a fucking bronze age fairy tale.

Oh, there's hucksters in all fields.
On hiatus.

13/15.

Also I'm not surprised by the fact that more people know about unpleasant phenomenon more they dislike it.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.

I grew up evangelical.  I can say without reservation that every bit of the dislike of them is richly, abundantly deserved.  

After I clawed my way out of that situation, I had the opportunity to get to know other christian subcultures, and all were filled with more likable people.   Maybe it’s because the evangelical outlook naturally reinforces some especially ugly personality traits.  This also applies online: evangelicals (any denomination, any website or platform) tend to be the meanest, least interesting, and most dishonest posters.
god, ugh
The following 4 users Like julep's post:
  • Szuchow, brunumb, Thumpalumpacus, Cheerful Charlie

--------

It seems like there are a lot of misconceptions about atheism among the public, ranging from "atheism is arrogant" to "atheism is a religion". But that's just from my personal experience. People don't like when you rock the boat about belief in god.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • grympy

(10-27-2019, 10:56 AM)julep Wrote: I grew up evangelical.  I can say without reservation that every bit of the dislike of them is richly, abundantly deserved.  

After I clawed my way out of that situation, I had the opportunity to get to know other christian subcultures, and all were filled with more likable people.   Maybe it’s because the evangelical outlook naturally reinforces some especially ugly personality traits.  This also applies online: evangelicals (any denomination, any website or platform) tend to be the meanest, least interesting, and most dishonest posters.

Don't forget worst-educated.
On hiatus.
The following 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Minimalist, grympy

(10-27-2019, 01:06 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:

--------

It seems like there are a lot of misconceptions about atheism among the public, ranging from "atheism is arrogant" to "atheism is a religion". But that's just from my personal experience. People don't like when you rock the boat about belief in god.

You forgot one about atheists being communists.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 2 users Like Szuchow's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, Fireball

(10-27-2019, 02:18 PM)Szuchow Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 01:06 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(10-26-2019, 09:12 PM)grympy Wrote:  WE are rated the same as evangelicals? Well isn't that just fucking dandy. Almost enough to destroy a bloke's sense superiority over evangelicals .  Of course it's obvious ; the study is deeply flawed  Consider .

You forgot one about atheists being communists.

There are even people who still don't understand the point of identifying as an atheist because "most of the world is atheist/non-religious". The same people also deny that atheists are viewed generally unfavorably.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Szuchow

(10-27-2019, 02:16 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 10:56 AM)julep Wrote: I grew up evangelical.  I can say without reservation that every bit of the dislike of them is richly, abundantly deserved.  

Online, yes.  The ones I know irl (like my father, for example) are fairly well educated.  Most of them masters or doctorates.  AfteR my father got fired from being a missionary he went back to physics.  But he remains as evangelical as shit.
god, ugh

(10-27-2019, 01:30 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I dislike evangelicals no matter their message. I dislike door-to-door salesmen as well. If I want to know your opinion I'll start a conversation. If I want to buy your product, I'll inquire. Leave me TF alone otherwise. I give you that much consideration, certainly you can do the same for me.

If they left people alone, they wouldn't be evangelical. Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 2 users Like Chas's post:
  • julep, Thumpalumpacus

While I certainly don't want to keep their company, it's quite unfair to single them out. It's people really. To know people is to dislike them.

(10-27-2019, 05:57 PM)julep Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 02:16 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

Online, yes.  The ones I know irl (like my father, for example) are fairly well educated.  Most of them masters or doctorates.  AfteR my father got fired from being a missionary he went back to physics.  But he remains as evangelical as shit.

Sheepskin equals formal education, but I don't think it equals educated in every case.

An odd resonance is the spike in support for creationism that was seen amongst engineers and applied-tech types about fifteen years ago.
On hiatus.

(10-27-2019, 06:11 PM)Chas Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 01:30 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I dislike evangelicals no matter their message. I dislike door-to-door salesmen as well. If I want to know your opinion I'll start a conversation. If I want to buy your product, I'll inquire. Leave me TF alone otherwise. I give you that much consideration, certainly you can do the same for me.

If they left people alone, they wouldn't be evangelical. Deadpan Coffee Drinker

And that would be a great thing, especially when you consider that most of them postulate a personal relationship with their god.

Hey, if it's personal, don't butt in, asshole.
On hiatus.

(10-27-2019, 11:00 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 05:57 PM)julep Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 02:16 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Don't forget worst-educated.

Sheepskin equals formal education, but I don't think it equals educated in every case.

An odd resonance is the spike in support for creationism that was seen amongst engineers and applied-tech types about fifteen years ago.
Educated people can and do hold all kinds of positions that aren’t reasonable or supported.  

There are significant numbers of evangelicals who aren’t young earth creationists.  The problem is that these evangelicals still wholeheartedly believe that their horrible god wants them to use legal and social pressure to force people who don’t believe as they do to live by that horrible god’s rules.
god, ugh
The following 2 users Like julep's post:
  • Szuchow, Thumpalumpacus