Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Virginia Christian Holy War

I just ran across this, which I find interesting.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightat...-holy-war/

Millionaire evangelists like Pat Robertson call for America’s 50 million fundamentalists to become a mighty political force and reshape society to their liking. Well, we’d better pray that their effort doesn’t turn out like a famous West Virginia example – the 1974 evangelical war against “godless textbooks.”

Rock-throwing mobs forced schools to close. Two schools and the board office were bombed. Two people were shot. Coal miners struck to support the religious protest. Ku Klux Klansmen and right-wing kooks flocked to Charleston. Some residents tried to form a separate county. A preacher and his followers discussed murdering families who wouldn’t join a school boycott. The minister finally went to prison.

This makes for a bizarre little history lesson for atheists.  Well worth reading.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 6 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Alan V, Dom, Gawdzilla Sama, Cavebear, brunumb, Old Man Marsh

I live with talk like that all the time. They've just learned who they can say it too.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Cavebear, grympy

(09-15-2019, 06:00 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: I just ran across this, which I find interesting.

Millionaire evangelists like Pat Robertson call for America’s 50 million fundamentalists to become a mighty political force and reshape society to their liking. Well, we’d better pray that their effort doesn’t turn out like a famous West Virginia example – the 1974 evangelical war against “godless textbooks.”

Rock-throwing mobs forced schools to close. Two schools and the board office were bombed. Two people were shot. Coal miners struck to support the religious protest. Ku Klux Klansmen and right-wing kooks flocked to Charleston. Some residents tried to form a separate county. A preacher and his followers discussed murdering families who wouldn’t join a school boycott. The minister finally went to prison.

This makes for a bizarre little history lesson for atheists.  Well worth reading.

I agree there are crazies out there.  With serious guns.  But that is what collective society (via Government) is for.  WE decide, not the crazy people.
Never try to catch a dropped kitchen knife!

(09-15-2019, 08:00 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I live with talk like that all the time. They've just learned who they can say it too.

With some collective majority effort we can change that.  There used to be slavery.

Wow. I had never heard of this "insurrection". I would have been a Junior in high school that year in far-away Illinois.

It is basically "The Handmaid's Tale" on a very small scale. People who don't participate being physically threatened and attacked, mob rule ... it wouldn't have taken much for it to progress to public lynching.

One wonders if we won't see pockets of this in the Bible Belt and if, in the era of Trump and the Tea Party, it might not spread to the state or even national level. In "The Handmaid's Tale", the White House was bombed and Congress machine-gunned in the name of God and righteousness. Astounding how frighteningly plausible this is all becoming.

(09-15-2019, 08:04 PM)Cavebear Wrote: I agree there are crazies out there.  With serious guns.  But that is what collective society (via Government) is for.  WE decide, not the crazy people.

Watch one of Trump's rallies and then try saying that with a straight face.
The following 2 users Like Paleophyte's post:
  • Mark, Cavebear

If only the worst of the xtian fundamentalists weren't so enchanted with armageddon and so eager to bring it on. It's almost as though they thought to serve Jesus you really have to vote for the antichrist.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Minimalist

(09-15-2019, 09:53 PM)Mark Wrote: If only the worst of the xtian fundamentalists weren't so enchanted with armageddon and so eager to bring it on.  It's almost as though they thought to serve Jesus you really have to vote for the antichrist.

It also demonstrates far more "faith" and respect for the power of Satan than the power of their god.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • Mark

(09-15-2019, 09:50 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:
(09-15-2019, 08:04 PM)Cavebear Wrote: I agree there are crazies out there.  With serious guns.  But that is what collective society (via Government) is for.  WE decide, not the crazy people.

Watch one of Trump's rallies and then try saying that with a straight face.

Speaking with a straight face...

I understand which side of the crazies I'm on.  And I not only used to hunt with a gun, I hunted with a bow.  And butchered my own deer.

I stopped when I slitted the gut of a doe I had shot and milk poured out.  I had also just doomed a fawn somewhere...  I wasn't hunting to kill a fawn.

I read about some guy who said he needed an AK-47 for "skeet shooting".  I can't buy that crap anymore. 

When I was 16, I thought killing stuff was great.  I was insane enough to  almost jump on a deer with an arrow in hand from a 10' stand.  Then came that damn doe. 

No jokes...

(09-15-2019, 08:04 PM)Cavebear Wrote:
(09-15-2019, 06:00 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: I just ran across this, which I find interesting.

I agree there are crazies out there.  With serious guns.  But that is what collective society (via Government) is for.  WE decide, not the crazy people.

'WE?  Do you mean "WE the people?"  

If so, what a quaint notion. 

"WE the people "are  sheep . There is not now nor has there ever  been any such thing as democracy in the sense  the term is used. As in 'government  by the majority' for example.

In the alleged originator of Democracy ,ancient Athens,  around 2/3 of the population could not vote. IE slaves and women.  

Athenian democracy was 'government  by referendum'. Every voter voted on any important  subject . Modern democracies elect representatives who allegedly protect our interests and make decisions for us. 

From my observation, there is even a noticeable difference between at least 2 kinds of Democracy: 

Australia, like the UK and other Commonwealth Countries has Parliamentary Democracy, aka The Westminster  System.     The emphasis  is on equality ,sometimes at the expense of the freedom of the individual. EG seat belt laws, and mandatory voting. 

The US has a Republican system .The emphasis seems to be on the rights of the individual, even at the expense of the majority.  The most  graphic example I can think of is the way the  Second Amendment is interpreted . The majority of Americans  apparently want some restrictions on gun ownership. A minority do not. So far, the minority is winning, even at the cost of hundreds of dead children.
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • mordant

[Image: giphy.gif]

ROFL2

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/...r-War.html

Biblical Basis For War. A document distributed by Washington state Rep. Matt Shea.

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • mordant

(09-17-2019, 02:48 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/...r-War.html

Biblical Basis For War.  A document distributed by Washington state Rep. Matt Shea.

Reading this document it is hard to know where to begin.

It speaks of issuing an ultimatum: no abortions, same-sex marriage, idolatry, communism, or disobedience (all as WE define it) or we kill you ALL.

And then it talks about dealing "Biblically" with tyranny, as if that isn't exactly what you just were being -- a tyrant.

Of course this is also managed by private (re)definition (Tyrrany = sin).

Oh and this is rich: "God doesn't use majorities. Majorities are usually wrong." So minority rule -- how do you pull that off, if not via tyranny? I guess there's always deception and dishonesty, such as voter suppression and gerrymandering.

The moral corruption of these fuckers is in plain sight, but they're so addled and un-self-aware that they don't see it in themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Blitz

Project Blitz is a coalition of Christian right groups, including the Congressional Prayer Caucus Foundation, the National Legal Foundation, and Wallbuilders Pro-Family Legislators Conference.[1] It seeks to "protect the free exercise of traditional Judeo-Christian religious values and beliefs in the public square, and to reclaim and properly define the narrative which supports such beliefs." The group specifically encourages lawmakers to enact legislation that eliminates paths for legal interference of Christian practice in the public square;[2] supports conservative legislators at the local, state and federal level with public relations and messaging;[2] and otherwise seeks to alter longstanding narratives of religious liberty issues.[2]

You don't have enough theocracy in your life.

Jesus must have been a real shit to have spawned such an aggregation of followers!

Fuck you, jesus.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”