Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In 'Something Deeply Hidden,' Sean Carroll Argues There Are Infinite Copies Of You

In 'Something Deeply Hidden,' Sean Carroll Argues There Are Infinite Copies Of You
https://www.npr.org/2019/09/13/760545897...ies-of-you

Quote: 
Everyone knows we live in a partisan age. It's hard to find any issue these days that people aren't ready to square off on, with sharp, snarky barbs.

While no one will be surprised to find these kinds of arguments playing out about immigration or the importance of NATO, finding it among staid physicists — and about the nature of physical reality — might not be so expected. But all too often over the last 100 years, this has been the case, as scientists have disagreed sharply over the meaning of their greatest and most potent theory known as quantum mechanics.

That's the fraught territory best-selling author and physicist Sean Carroll dives into with his new book Something Deeply Hidden: Quantum Worlds and the Emergence of Spacetime. What makes Carroll's new project so worthwhile, though, is that while he is most certainly choosing sides in the debate, he offers us a cogent, clear and compelling guide to the subject while letting his passion for the scientific questions shine through every page.

By the way, Sean Carroll has a podcast called Mindscape, which I highly recommend. There are fresh topics every week. 
The following 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Alan V, brunumb, Deesse23

Infinite copies of ME? Egad! I would think that one of me is more than enough!   hobo

However, I do seem to have had a doppelganger here in Adelaide.  Over a  period of a decade I had friends ,even family members reporting they had seem me someplace I simply was not. Last report around 1979. I thought that was a bit freaky, but it's  apparently not all that uncommon.
The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, tomilay

That is interesting. I'm the opposite, the invisible person. I can walk past people who know me and not get a 2nd glance. If I was for some odd reason on a Most Wanted poster, I could stand next to it and not be noticed. So, the idea that there may be a "me" in infinite worlds very different and possibly famous is quite interesting.

I might add that, as a sci-fi reader, the idea is not new, but I find the concept fascinating.
I just believe in one less deity than most people.
The following 1 user Likes Cavebear's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(09-14-2019, 01:30 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: By the way, Sean Carroll has a podcast called Mindscape, which I highly recommend. There are fresh topics every week. 

I am at #60 currently.   Deadpan Coffee Drinker Big Grin 

Can only highly recommend it. Always interesting and challenging topics presented by top rated scientists (and sometimes philosophers). Carroll also manages to stay away from atheism/theism discussions or rants. Just sticks to science, and clearly mentions opinions/speculations where he has one (like disagreeing with copenhagen interpretation).

Tl;dr:  Like his style and consequently his podcast.
cetero censeo religionem esse delendam 
The following 2 users Like Deesse23's post:
  • GenesisNemesis, grympy

(09-18-2019, 05:11 AM)grympy Wrote: Infinite copies of ME? Egad! I would think that one of me is more than enough!   hobo

However, I do seem to have had a doppelganger here in Adelaide.  Over a  period of a decade I had friends ,even family members reporting they had seem me someplace I simply was not. Last report around 1979. I thought that was a bit freaky, but it's  apparently not all that uncommon.

I had a doppelganger when I lived in the Phoenix area. Same deal. It happens.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • grympy, GenesisNemesis