Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where were you on 9/11/01?

We have a sixtieth anniversary coming up, November, 23, 2023. Man, the time does pass quickly.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 4 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • c172, Dom, Deesse23, Tres Leches

It was around 11:15PM Melbourne time, and I just had the TV on softly as visual white noise while
I was working on my PC in a an adjacent room, but with a clear view of the TV.  I remember glancing
up, and simply thinking—in the first instance—that I was seeing a scene from some movie.  A few
moments later, I realised with a shock it was for real, and ran into the bedroom to awaken my partner,
who initially was sleep-befuddled, and didn't know what the fuck I was rambling on about.

Then we both just stood there, dumbfounded and disbelieving what we were seeing live from 17,000km
away—and in real time rather than some delayed news report.  I think I watched until the next morning
around 9 o'clock-ish before going to bed myself.  Every single TV channel here was playing the footage,
with all normal programming halted, and with a couple of the channels showing it continuously for the
next 24 hours or more.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 2 users Like SYZ's post:
  • Alan V, Tres Leches

At the time, I was working as a Tool & Die Maker at Rock Valley Tool in Easthampton, MA. One of my fellow employees told everyone that he had just heard on the radio that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. My first thought was that it had been a tragic accident. It wasn't until he told us that the other tower had been hit by a second jetliner that I realized it was some kind of terrorist attack. Shortly after the Pentagon was attacked, our boss announced that the shop was being closed for the day so everyone could go home and watch the ongoing news coverage on TV.

As soon as I got home, I turned on my VHS player to record the rest of the day's news coverage. It all turned out to be so depressing that I never watched the tapes, even years later.  Sad
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Tres Leches, SYZ

Given that there are several timezones between NYC and my homebase, it was around midday when it happened, I sat in my favorite watering hole, long defunct by now, and we were watching the news on tv, watching the towers fall and discussing if the US would use nukes to retaliate.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The following 1 user Likes abaris's post:
  • Tres Leches

We had a group of veterans who meet regularly (and eventually became Epsilon Tau Sigma) that gathered that night at our favorite watering hole. We discussed options, and as beer went down, proposed plans of retribution that eventually bordered on a canyon run.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Tres Leches

I was in my senior year of high school in art class. Someone yelled out that a plane hit one of towers from another class room. I sat right by the window and you can see the New York skyline from there. Sure enough there was much smoke coming out of one of the towers. I thought it was an accident but when the second plane hit, everyone knew it was terrorism. Our school was on lock down during 3rd period gym class. Everyone was surrounded by the radio that one of the gym teachers put on. When it was said that one of the towers collapsed a lot of people went running outside to see. Same when the second tower collapsed. 

My uncle worked in one of the towers but the night shift so he got out a few hours before the plane hit. Definitely a day i will never forget as long as my mind stays healthy. Had nightmares about it afterwards. Me and my family went to lower Manhattan on the 15th of that September. They closed down parts of lower Manhattan. A lot of people singing god bless America. People crying, posting pictures of their love ones whom gone missing. I still get goosebumps thinking about it. I still visit the 9/11 memorial from time to time.
The following 4 users Like Red Belt's post:
  • Alan V, SYZ, Tres Leches, Thumpalumpacus

(09-11-2019, 08:35 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: I was 13 years old and at a friends house after high school.

I remember, looking back, that at the time I thought it was "cool", as I'd only ever seen anything like this in action movies; planes crashing into things/giant buildings falling over and all that jazz. I was too young to fully process what had happened. Obviously as it went on, and the ramifications of how this effected the US/that world slowly brought things home for me, and now at 31 years old I personally feel terrible about how my brain instantly went "awesome!" at something so mind bendingly terrible. Obviously, as time passed you hear of those involved and the lives lost trying to escape/rescue others etc, further cementing that I made stupid comments about it at the time.

Crazy to think it's been as long as it has.

13 ? Good grief.

The only thing I remember about being 13 is my first wank.   Tongue

Be willing to bet you will make a great many just as stupid and insensitive comments  in your life.  I'm 71  and still do, regularly. Forgive yourself and move on.  Life is too short for regrets about unimportant things.
The following 3 users Like grympy's post:
  • OakTree500, Tres Leches, Minimalist

My ma woke me up. Half awake, the first thing that I thought was "Osama bin laden". I was 23 and not very socially conscious, which is why this still surprises me. I didn't even know anything about him, just knew the name and that he was one of those mid-eastern men that blew shit up. 
Watched the coverage on CNN for a couple hours and then had to go to work. 
The entire day I had that strange feeling a person gets when they know they'll always remember the day as they are living it. Slightly out of body, you know?
Step on the gas and wipe that tear away...
The following 5 users Like Vivian Darkbloom's post:
  • Bucky Ball, Alan V, Thumpalumpacus, grympy, Tres Leches

Packing to go to Washington D.C. the next day. That didn't happen and the occasion which prompted our flight got postponed a year.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 2 users Like Mark's post:
  • Alan V, Tres Leches

I was 9 or 10. It was sort of early as I live in CA .. not all that far from Camp Pendleton.
I remember the ruckus in the house as my mom and dad talked about whether he was going to go to work, or if we were going to school.
He did. We didn't. I was frightened by all the military jets and aircraft circling over-head that morning, and most of the day. I thought we were going to get bombed. The thing I remember the most, and will never forget, is that later that evening my mom and dad sat us down individually and told us we were safe, but that it was an important day, and that we would never forget it. Then a while later, my granny called and spoke to each one of us, ... told us it felt like Pearl Harbor all over again for her, and basically said the same thing my parents had.
Test
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Tres Leches

I was in hospital starting a valium detox for alcoholism it was about 2pm British summer time and I was shaking shivering and sweating but even in my fevered state I knew this day was going to be a game changer.
The whole point of having cake is to eat it Cake_Feast
The following 1 user Likes adey67's post:
  • Tres Leches