Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fallwell Jr may be going down

This fool's comeuppance has been awhile coming. Looks like the natives are getting restless.

Michael Cohen made some naughty pics of Fallwell Jr and his wife Becky go away, and right after that, Falwell made a full-throated endorsement of Trump. I've been waiting for the other shoe(s) to drop, and here they are:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/...ans-227914

“We’re not a school; we’re a real estate hedge fund,” said a senior university official with inside knowledge of Liberty’s finances. “We’re not educating; we’re buying real estate every year and taking students’ money to do it.”
The following 6 users Like mordant's post:
  • brewerb, skyking, Dānu, Gwaithmir, Aegon, Unsapien

They're all crooks!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”

(09-10-2019, 05:05 PM)Minimalist Wrote: They're all crooks!

In other words, They're Doing God's Work!
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • Dancefortwo

I hereby labell Falwall Jr. As Biggus Dickus Falwell.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Minimalist

From memory, I think Larry Flint posted a REALLY vulgar cartoon of Falwell senior in "Hustler"

The cartoon portrayed Rev Falwell in the outhouse being blown by his mother. He sued Larry, and lost. First amendment; Falwell was a public figure and any reasonable person would see the cartoon as satire. Anyway, what was Falwell or any of his flock doing reading "Hustler'?

Jerry Falwell was Jerry Lee Lewis' first cousin. I've always thought of how embarrassing that must have been for poor ole Jerry Lee.
( Or more likely would have been were Jerry Lee capable of critical thought )

"Hustler Magazine, Inc. v. Falwell, 485 U.S. 46 (1988), is a United States Supreme Court case in which the Court held that the First and Fourteenth Amendments prohibit public figures from recovering damages for the tort of intentional infliction of emotional distress (IIED), if the emotional distress was caused by a caricature, parody, or satire of the public figure that a reasonable person would not have interpreted as factual.[1] "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hustler_Ma...v._Falwell
The following 3 users Like grympy's post:
  • Fireball, Gwaithmir, Old Man Marsh

This one?

[Image: falwell-hustler-750x400.jpg]

Falwell Jr. wants FBI to prove 'criminal conspiracy' against him

(09-10-2019, 11:55 PM)Minimalist Wrote: This one?

Holy cow!
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

I'm not really sure I can wrap my head around the idea of a corrupt religious man. It's just stunning.
On hiatus.
The following 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • grympy, Fireball, mordant, Unsapien, Dancefortwo, Old Man Marsh

(09-11-2019, 04:07 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I'm not really sure I can wrap my head around the idea of a corrupt religious man. It's just stunning.

Yeah I know it's not surprising anymore but sometimes the lengths to which they will rationalize what's politely called 'self-dealing' in the article is kind of amazing to me, particularly given that at least in the evangelical circles I moved in, these kinds of actions would be soundly denounced at the drop of a hat.

It's also a significant story because Falwell Jr so solidly endorsed Trump, before it was entirely fashionable, just after Trump's fixer made some naughty pictures of Falwell Jr's wife go away.

(09-11-2019, 08:41 PM)mordant Wrote:
(09-11-2019, 04:07 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I'm not really sure I can wrap my head around the idea of a corrupt religious man. It's just stunning.

Yeah I know it's not surprising anymore but sometimes the lengths to which they will rationalize what's politely called 'self-dealing' in the article is kind of amazing to me, particularly given that at least in the evangelical circles I moved in, these kinds of actions would be soundly denounced at the drop of a hat.

It's also a significant story because Falwell Jr so solidly endorsed Trump, before it was entirely fashionable, just after Trump's fixer made some naughty pictures of Falwell Jr's wife go away.

That may well be the motivation for many of trump's steadfast supporters.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

Isn't that interesting. I could have sworn it was a cartoon. Another of those damned false memories!  Blush

(09-11-2019, 08:41 PM)mordant Wrote:

My comment was 100% sarcasm and 10% truth.

Yes, it was 110% of its worth.
On hiatus.

The thread title is an incomplete sentence.  Fallwell Jr may be going down....on a hooker.
                                                         T4618
The following 1 user Likes Dancefortwo's post:
  • Minimalist

(09-11-2019, 10:17 PM)grympy Wrote:

Isn't that interesting. I could have sworn it was a cartoon. Another of those damned false memories!  Blush

Campari seems like the potentially more aggrieved party there.  Who would want to falsely be accused of an association with Falwell?
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • grympy