Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard to Believe That Anyone Could Be This Much of an Asshole

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/re...168489001/

Quote:Harry Potter books removed from St. Edward Catholic School due to 'curses and spells'

Quote:The students at St. Edward Catholic School in Nashville can no longer checkout the popular Harry Potter book series from their school's library. 
The seven-book series depicting the magical adventures of a young wizard and his friends was removed from the library because of their content, the Rev. Dan Reehil, a pastor at the Roman Catholic parish school, wrote in an email. 
"These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in fact a clever deception. The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text," the email states. 
Reehil goes on to say in the email that he consulted several exorcists in the U.S. and Rome who recommended removing the books.

You stupid fucking catholick asshole.... and I realize there are several redundancies in that statement.

The sooner these shits die off the better.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 3 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • brunumb, Phaedrus, Chas

It's hardly limited to Catholics. If anything, protestant fundamentalists are more up in arms about Harry Potter and have tried to censor other books in the past on the same basis. Wracking my brain to remember ... IIRC, The Golden Compass, various vampire books like the Twilight series ... pretty much anything supernatural, although, if it has some sort of messianic theme or was written by a Christian, it generally gets a pass. All the Narnia books by CS Lewis are okay of course ... and I don't recall Lord of the Rings getting any guff.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • grympy, Thumpalumpacus

The magic in the Bible in much more deadly. Plagues of locust, rivers turned to blood, first born of selected families getting murdered. And that's just one guy.

Meanwhile, Hogwarts observed Christmas and Easter.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

Seems like someone conjured up the paint huffing spirits once too often.
The following 3 users Like no one's post:
  • Fireball, Dānu, Thumpalumpacus

Quote:It's hardly limited to Catholics.

Agreed, but this moron is catholick.  And he's hardly alone.  His fucking pope is an asshole, too.

https://observer.com/2019/01/pope-franci...ture-wars/

Quote:Under Francis, exorcism and demonic possession have enjoyed a kind of renaissance in modern-day Catholicism. (There is a of the pope supposedly performing the trick following a 2013 mass.) More and more Catholics report seeking exorcisms, and as the BBC reported last year, 250 priests from 50 countries traveled to Rome for exorcist training. Francis is encouraging this: in 2017, the pope told priests that “they must not hesitate” to refer their parishioners to exorcists if they experience “genuine spiritual disturbances.”

When last I checked the calendar it isn't the 8th century anymore.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Fireball

Fuuuuuck!

----and there I was thinking nothing the Catholics could do would surprise me.  Guess I should have been  prepared.Over the last few years, the Church has reintroduced training priest as exorcists.Next thing you know some clever Jesuit sophist will claim all  those pedophile priests were possessed  by demons.

Gives morons a bad name. It's a prize winning depth of ignorance and  stupidity . Good thing he's a priest and won't breed. 

--How come that stupid cunt knew the spells are 'real' ? Seems to me there is a  very fine line between magic and miracles. I mean, turning bread and wine LITERALLY into the body and blood of Jesus. If not magic, then cannibalism .

Actually, I think The Harry potter books display  an excellent sense of morality . Not even a HINT of sex magic.  Tongue

Quote:--How come that stupid cunt knew the spells are 'real' ?

Because Pope Fuckface told him so?

Frankly, I think kids reading anything these days is a plus.  Anything to get them to put down their goddamn cell phones.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(09-02-2019, 11:10 PM)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:--How come that stupid cunt knew the spells are 'real' ?

Because Pope Fuckface told him so?

Frankly, I think kids reading anything these days is a plus.  Anything to get them to put down their goddamn cell phones.

Harry Potter was recommended to me by the [Catholic]  mother of two young boys.  It was her habit to read whatever her boys were reading, just  to keep an eye . She told the books are great .. This family  did not own a television machine.   Each  of the four kids had a personal library of about 5000 books. 

I've seen all the movies, but only  really liked the firsts one.  I heard the last book on audio, read by Stephen Fry. The book had 30 chapters,. It took 30 minutes  for each chapter.   Quite liked it. 

Also had a happy clapper tell me Harry Potter is demonic. Pretty much what I've come to expect from those troglodytes .
 It came out of left field from the Catholics.

Reinforced the quote about religions  and a sense of humour . I don't suppose  J K Rowling  can sue the cunt?  I guess she'd probably rather ignore him and keep counting her money.  Big Grin

Since it is self-evident that these people can't tell fiction from fact, it is not surprising.  Deadpan Coffee Drinker
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 3 users Like Chas's post:
  • grympy, Fireball, Gwaithmir

I took a shit last week. Fucking miracle.
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.
The following 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post:
  • mordant

Mark Twain...
Jack London...
Aldous Huxley...
John Steinbeck...
J. D. Salinger...
William Golding...

J. K. Rowling...

Looks to me like she's in pretty damned good company!
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]
The following 2 users Like TheGentlemanBastard's post:
  • Gwaithmir, Gawdzilla Sama

(09-03-2019, 11:03 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: J. K. Rowling...

Looks to me like she's in pretty damned good company!

J. P. Donleavy      TorchesPitchforks
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Katherine Dunleavy!
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

Looks like someone needs psychiatric help.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

Socrates.
The following 1 user Likes Szuchow's post:
  • Gwaithmir