Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living relative found for a 9000 year old skeleton

A 9,000 year old skeleton was recently found inside a cave in Cheddar, England, and was nicknamed “Cheddar Man”. His DNA was tested and it was concluded that a living relative was teaching history about a 1/2 mile away, tracing back nearly 300 generations.

[Image: keqyv3xiijj31.jpg]

Personally, I find that to be very cool. And It may just be me, but there seems to be a good facial similarity there as well.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/the-f...71542.html
The following 10 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Phaedrus, Dom, Fireball, Dancefortwo, grympy, Mark, abaris, brunumb, Tres Leches, GenesisNemesis

Which is the old one?
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • OakTree500, Minimalist

That is so cool! 300 generations, what a difference it makes.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

(08-30-2019, 02:18 PM)OakTree500 Wrote: A 9,000 year old skeleton was recently found inside a cave in Cheddar, England, and was nicknamed “Cheddar Man”. His DNA was tested and it was concluded that a living relative was teaching history about a 1/2 mile away, tracing back nearly 300 generations.

[Image: keqyv3xiijj31.jpg]

Personally, I find that to be very cool. And It may just be me, but there seems to be a good facial similarity there as well.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/the-f...71542.html

No, its not just you.  I see it too.  Amazing.

I wonder if they were both Brexiteers?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

WOW!

I remember reading that in England , before the Industrial revolution, a person did not travel more than 20 miles from his birth place in his lifetime . I guess probably the same in agrarian societies generally.

@ 25 years to a generation,300 generations=7500 years. Pickle me grandmother ! That's a long time!

It needs to be remembered that "Brits think 100 miles is a long way and Aussies think 100 years is a long time " (anon)
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Tres Leches

In WWII ~92% of enlisted men had never been more than 100 miles from home for more than three days at a stretch. Then BANG they're in Australia.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

The general bone structure is the same.  That's amazing.
                                                         T4618

300 generations ?
Meh.
I'm related to Mitochondrial Eve.
Na na.
Test

(08-30-2019, 02:18 PM)OakTree500 Wrote: His DNA was tested and it was concluded that a living relative was teaching history about a 1/2 mile away, tracing back nearly 300 generations.

Not entirely new. Few years ago they found living relatives of a 5000 years old skeleton in Southern Germany. Turned out, the clan never moved.

They also could tie the remains of a Scythian warrior woman to a girl living today in the same region.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

(08-30-2019, 11:12 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: In WWII ~92% of enlisted men had never been more than 100 miles from home for more than three days at a stretch. Then BANG they're in Australia.

That leads me to wonder how many members of our species never left their general neighborhoods, so to speak, during their (short, nasty, brutish) lives. Quite a few, I'm guessing and probably a fair few even in today's modern world.
I have friends and acquaintances that have never left our state borders.

-Teresa
There is in the universe only one true divide, one real binary, life and death. Either you are living or you are not. Everything else is molten, malleable.

-Susan Faludi, In the Darkroom
The following 2 users Like Tres Leches's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Bucky Ball

(08-30-2019, 11:12 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: In WWII ~92% of enlisted men had never been more than 100 miles from home for more than three days at a stretch. Then BANG they're in Australia.

YUP

My dad was in the Australian Airforce.  From a bog Irish  family living in a poor area of Adelaide; Outside toilet., wood stove that kind of  thing.  He blinks and is in Egypt,  navigator on a Lancaster. Flying  reconnaissance, often for 72 hours without sleep.  . Blinks again, India  (Calcutta  shocked  him to his core ) --then training in England, then Canada (where  he met mum)

Them there was me. Furthest I'd been away from home was at 18,  500 miles, for work in Melbourne. --and I found THAT a challenge.

Conscripted at 20.  Found myself at Singapore airport 90 degrees F. Nearly 100% humidity. Wanted to get back on the plane .Then onto open air buses , across the causeway, up the west coast of Malaysia, to Terendak Garrison, about 10 miles from Malacca. I saw the little houses on stilts and the people working in the flooded rice fields. So naturally, I thought it was all just too fucking quaint for words.

My education began immediately .  I was thinking "I wonder how they go to the----ohhhh"  They worked barefoot.  Over the following months,  I began to learn to speak Malay, and to spend a lot of time in a local village.  As the alien became commonplace , I found I tended to be a lot less judgmental and a lot more accepting .  I was always treated with great kindness and respect by my Malay friends.

Terendak Garrison is about 10 miles from Malacca . It was considered a holiday posting.  Men took their wives and kids.  We had our own speed boat and golf course. I loved it. Except when we went out bush "to play silly buggers" on exercise . I was the platoon medic. The injuries /bites./ infections/ allergic reactions   I treated were not usually silly or amusing .
The following 3 users Like grympy's post:
  • Tres Leches, brunumb, Dancefortwo

Probably Min's son.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Fireball

Maybe that's why he looks so familiar?
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Thumpalumpacus, Fireball