Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About What One Expects From Creatards

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/08/creatio...rty-taxes/

Quote:Creationist Ark Encounter museum accused of stiffing local schools by underpaying property taxes

Quote:Ark Encounter has been controversial from the start, not just because it promotes Biblical pseudoscience as fact, or because it discriminates in hiring against non-Christians or LGBTQ people, but because it was built with $18 million in public subsidies. State and local entities provided the funding based on the projection that Ark Encounter would benefit the local community tourism revenue.

Not only has there been a negligible economic benefit to Williamstown from Ark Encounter, but the theme park itself is struggling, with attendance numbers sagging. Last November, Answers in Genesis founder Ken Ham, a well-known creationist activist, attacked the Lexington Herald-Leader for reporting on these dismal numbers, despite the fact that the numbers came from the park itself.

Even in Kentucky there seems to be a shortage of idiots!
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 5 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • Unsapien, SYZ, Phaedrus, Gwaithmir, GenesisNemesis

And a story from the "Nisqually Valley News" in Yelm, (pop. 9,374) Washington:

Finding Reason: Sometimes We Simply Resist Looking at the Truth Right in Front of Us

"An avowed atheist was paired with a megachurch pastor in a charity golfing event....." and so the story goes.
One major stumbling block to this little homily though; neither the avowed(!) atheist, or the preacher were
named.  Pastor Jeff Adams, the author, recounts the story as though it's first-person, from his perspective, but
I'm guessing this is just another of these insidious fairy stories the religionists love to tell.  What's of more
concern is the fact that the paper printed it as a lead story.  And yet the last US census recorded only 29.9%
of the Yelm population as religious (but strangely no record of "nones" or atheists).  What's going on here?
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Hey Minimalist!

Your name is now rather ironic, since you keep starting new "discussions" and there's already a string for rants.   hobo
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • ronedee

(08-24-2019, 11:28 PM)SYZ Wrote: What's going on here?

Sounds like small-town Americana, to me, lol. Someone's taking the piss, as y'all say.
On hiatus.

(08-24-2019, 10:11 PM)Minimalist Wrote: https://www.rawstory.com/2019/08/creatio...rty-taxes/

Quote:Creationist Ark Encounter museum accused of stiffing local schools by underpaying property taxes

Quote:Ark Encounter has been controversial from the start, not just because it promotes Biblical pseudoscience as fact, or because it discriminates in hiring against non-Christians or LGBTQ people, but because it was built with $18 million in public subsidies. State and local entities provided the funding based on the projection that Ark Encounter would benefit the local community tourism revenue.

Not only has there been a negligible economic benefit to Williamstown from Ark Encounter, but the theme park itself is struggling, with attendance numbers sagging. Last November, Answers in Genesis founder Ken Ham, a well-known creationist activist, attacked the Lexington Herald-Leader for reporting on these dismal numbers, despite the fact that the numbers came from the park itself.

Even in Kentucky there seems to be a shortage of idiots!

Is that the place with Aussie idiot and apparent crook   Ken Ham?  (They're welcome to him )  I understand  those  intellectual troglodytes  have a diorama with a dinosaur being ridden by a child .

Not surprised; those worthies are only half a foot pace above televangelists , those wonderful folk who have made  pig ignorance, chicanery, hypocrisy  and bare face lying into an art form .  Whistling
The following 1 user Likes grympy's post:
  • Fireball

(08-25-2019, 12:13 AM)Alan V Wrote: Hey Minimalist!

Your name is now rather ironic, since you keep starting new "discussions" and there's already a string for rants.   hobo

"Minimalism" refers to the school of scholars who maintain that the bible is a pile of shit.

I've explained that many times but fuckheads like Ronny the Idiot Jesus Lover never seem to catch on.
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • Szuchow

(08-25-2019, 05:00 AM)Minimalist Wrote:

"Minimalism" refers to the school of scholars who maintain that the bible is a pile of shit.

I've explained that many times but fuckheads like Ronny the Idiot Jesus Lover never seem to catch on.

LOL! Scholars indeed! @ National Enquirer University.... "Delta Zero IQ"
Quis ut Deus?

For a guy who thinks that 1+1+1=1 you have no right to talk.

All jesus freaks are mathematical asswipes.

Go blow jesus out your ass.

(08-24-2019, 11:28 PM)SYZ Wrote: And a story from the "Nisqually Valley News" in Yelm, (pop. 9,374) Washington:

Finding Reason: Sometimes We Simply Resist Looking at the Truth Right in Front of Us

"An avowed atheist was paired with a megachurch pastor in a charity golfing event....." and so the story goes.
One major stumbling block to this little homily though; neither the avowed(!) atheist, or the preacher were
named.  Pastor Jeff Adams, the author, recounts the story as though it's first-person, from his perspective, but
I'm guessing this is just another of these insidious fairy stories the religionists love to tell.  What's of more
concern is the fact that the paper printed it as a lead story.  And yet the last US census recorded only 29.9%
of the Yelm population as religious (but strangely no record of "nones" or atheists).  What's going on here?

Oh this is definitely a fairy tale. It might, perhaps, be lightly based on a real person or situation as a starting-point, but it's far to conformant to the Christian fundamentalist wet-dream narrative to be substantively real.

(08-25-2019, 05:00 AM)Minimalist Wrote: "Minimalism" refers to the school of scholars who maintain that the bible is a pile of shit.

I'm confused about your answer.  The Bible is a remarkable and influential cultural artifact.

What it isn't is reliable history, science, ethics, or metaphysics.  Of course, most Christians look at it the wrong way, so I guess your position stands in opposition to them.

(08-25-2019, 05:00 AM)Minimalist Wrote:

I didn't know that about " Minimalists" . Well, hopefully one learns something every day-----

I thought it was an approach to indoor furnishing. I call my house" Minimalist.  My sis calls it 'spartan' --but then  she's dotty abut cats and Egypt. Her house looks like a cross between the Egyptian room at the local Museum and a charity thrift shop.
The following 2 users Like grympy's post:
  • Alan V, Minimalist

Quote:What it isn't is reliable history, science, ethics, or metaphysics.

Precisely.  It's a prop for idiots.

Quote:I call my house" Minimalist.

Too Japanese-ish.