Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Are human beings inherently selfish?

Well, certainly not the better good of dinner? I think we can safely rule them out as beneficiaries of any scheme that involves eating them. To me, it seems like a case of deciding which bad thing you can live (or die) with.

-but is it selfish to think that way, or to act on those compulsions? Is it selfish of me to kill the cannibals? Is it selfish of me to prevent people from eating the dead? Is it permissible for me to use violence to enforce these compulsions? In defense of myself? In defense of others? Even deeper down, say we consider all of this, this compulsion, this compulsion to moralize about it...to be an artifact of social conditioning? Okay, but if moral import is relative then there's nothing morally wrong with pursuing the goals that society instills, as this is the truth maker in relative systems. How we comfortable we are about given outcomes is non operative. The best outcome is the one in which we do what our society has compelled us to do. Even if that leaves a pile of bodies.

Isn't that the nature of moral dilemma anyway? Not when two things or possible courses of action are equally and exclusively horrible, but when it's difficult to know and difficult to do the right thing. So, to use the seetup again. It might be very hard to refrain from and pursuade others to refrain from eating the sick man. Faced with a bunch of hungry people I would understand the danger in standing up for the "sickly" one. It seems like this guy needs an advocate in the situation, because all we're hearing from is a bunch of (potential) chefs. Maybe that person even indicates that they're fine with it. You go on, save yourselves, kill me now (selfless motherfucker) - we might have reason to doubt his rational capacity and ability to consent in such a setup. Does anyone want to go tell the deceased's family that he was totes cool with us eating him after he hit 104F - so no harm no foul?

We don't want to die. It would be easier to, you know..not do that, we want the right decision to always and exclusively be the one in which we are still alive - this is the very thing leading to our being so deeply morally compromised in the first place. Not a guiding moral principle, imo. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to die - but it's clear that were capable of doing some pretty fucked up shit to avoid it. Hell, eating the person might be less perverse than trying to turn that into a better good? Just call it like it is. "We broke, they died, I survived. Here's your sons hat, just wasn't appetizing. We good? I've got alot of these visits to make today."

*If anyone wants a really fascinating look into how that plays out in reality - outside our thought experiments, I cannot recommend the transition between the archaic and classic periods in maori history enough. Let's just say it doesn't take a plane crash.

(03-01-2023, 01:30 PM)Dom Wrote:
(03-01-2023, 10:59 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: If they're already dead, no. If you're killing them, yes. Because it's about how your actions affect others that determines whether or not those actions are selfishness.

But, didn't we already determine that decision is an important ingredient? You are dealing with two basic instincts here, preservation of self and preservation of the group. How much of the outcome is decision making and how much is the DNA of the individual?

The whole discussion here is based on today's civilized society and most here assume that the instinct of preservation of the group is stronger. We have evolved that way. (Thankfully) But that doesn't mean that all individuals have this DNA formation. Like with everything else, the strength of our instincts and impulses are on a spectrum. 

So, is an answer to the question ever possible because it is universally applicable?

I'm under no delusion that my own answer, my own opinion, is universal.
On hiatus.
The following 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post:
  • Dom

(03-01-2023, 02:11 PM)Cavebear Wrote: You evaded the essential question.   I wasn't planning to have a neighbor's leg for dinner.  It was a "given a situation" question...  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

I didn't want to answer your question about how to kill and cook them. That's not evading it, that's me not wanting to answer it. Nor is that question "essential". I answered the important one.
On hiatus.

(03-01-2023, 10:25 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(03-01-2023, 02:11 PM)Cavebear Wrote: You evaded the essential question.   I wasn't planning to have a neighbor's leg for dinner.  It was a "given a situation" question...  Deadpan Coffee Drinker

I didn't want to answer your question about how to kill and cook them. That's not evading it, that's me not wanting to answer it. Nor is that question "essential". I answered the important one.

OK.
Never argue with people who type fast and have too much time on their hands...

"Ego is not a dirty word." We are selfish, thank god.

(03-06-2023, 11:38 PM)carusmm Wrote: "Ego is not a dirty word." We are selfish, thank god.

Take a break! See you tomorrow.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]
The following 1 user Likes Dom's post:
  • Aliza

Me, myself and I are a problem.