Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where would you want to live--country/state/etc. or are you happy where you're at now

Where would you want to live--country/state/etc. or are you happy where you're at now
I like where i'm at now but Florida would be ideal. Particularly Tampa or Miami.
The following 3 users Like Red Belt's post:
  • Jenny, jerry mcmasters, Tres Leches

(08-11-2019, 10:28 PM)Marozz Wrote: I was born and bred in Ireland and I love it here. I spent ten years living in the Netherlands which was fun, but I knew that someday I would head back home. If I had to move again I would go to the south of France.

What part of Ireland are you in?

(08-11-2019, 11:19 PM)Jenny Wrote:
(08-11-2019, 10:28 PM)Marozz Wrote: I was born and bred in Ireland and I love it here. I spent ten years living in the Netherlands which was fun, but I knew that someday I would head back home. If I had to move again I would go to the south of France.

What part of Ireland are you in?

I live in a town called Swords. It’s a suburban town in north county Dublin about 10 km from Dublin city center.
The following 2 users Like Marozz's post:
  • Jenny, skyking

(08-11-2019, 02:49 PM)Jenny Wrote: I always thought living in Ireland would be nice.

Same.
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Jenny

(08-11-2019, 06:37 PM)Minimalist Wrote: Probably still doesn't read people their rights.  But hey,  it's Phoenix.
Min, you are utterly predictable. Facepalm
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Jenny, jerry mcmasters

Bermuda.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • Jenny

If I didn't understand that white nationalism and xenophobia and authoritarianism were making the rounds all over the place, I'd love to try out most any of the Scandanavian countries (particularly Norway). I'm half Swedish, and like their ethos.

For some reason I find the notion of living in a tight community in the far north pleasing, too. I have mild fantasies of living someplace like Longyearben, Svalbard, or Barrow, Alaska, or Valdez Alaska, or maybe a bigger place like Quebec City. I imagine that people treat each other nicer when they really need each other to survive socially or even to just function. I like the notion of making a cozy abode in a cold environment.

Whether it'd drive me crazy after 6 months might be another matter. But from the outside, it has its appeals.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Jenny, Smercury44

Well right now the UK is a bit of a shit-show, and it isn't looking all that good for the future.

Personally, I've always wanted to live in the US but most recently have taken a liking to Germany as well. In terms of "where could I realistically move to", Scotland [Edinburgh in particular] is a place of choice for me, and I have family in Northern Ireland.....although that might also become a bit of a mess in times to come shortly.
The following 5 users Like OakTree500's post:
  • Alan V, Jenny, Marozz, mordant, Mathilda

(08-14-2019, 07:33 AM)OakTree500 Wrote: Well right now the UK is a bit of a shit-show, and it isn't looking all that good for the future.

Personally, I've always wanted to live in the US but most recently have taken a liking to Germany as well. In terms of "where could I realistically move to", Scotland [Edinburgh in particular] is a place of choice for me, and I have family in Northern Ireland.....although that might also become a bit of a mess in times to come shortly.

Yeah that's the problem. You can run from authoritarianism and the collapse of the environment, but you can't hide.
The following 2 users Like mordant's post:
  • Jenny, OakTree500

Gonna stand pat. I like mild summers and winters and that's what we have in the San Francisco bay area.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 3 users Like Mark's post:
  • Jenny, Fireball, Tres Leches

Norway. Hands down.

Furthermore, a test of a truly great country is how it treats its prisoners:

The Norwegian prison where inmates are treated like people

Quote:On Bastoy prison island in Norway, the prisoners, some of whom are murderers and rapists, live in conditions that critics brand 'cushy' and 'luxurious'. Yet it has by far the lowest reoffending rate in Europe.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 4 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Jenny, Mathilda, Smercury44, Mark

I'm presently living in a mountainside home with near total privacy in a rural setting. I bought it with the intention of living here until the day I died and my goal has not changed. My only regret is that I'm now too old and arthritic to walk in the woods as I once did. Other than that, I am content.
“I expect to pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” (Etienne De Grellet)
The following 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post:
  • Alan V, Jenny, skyking

The highlands of Scotland, especially around Ullapool but I really enjoyed living in Perthshire. I love Stirling as well. Or southern Germany or Austria. My heart is always drawn back to Germany.
The following 1 user Likes Mathilda's post:
  • Jenny

(08-15-2019, 09:47 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: Norway. Hands down.

Furthermore, a test of a truly great country is how it treats its prisoners:

I always thought Norway sounded a lovely place. New Zealand too.

I agree about your test. How good a country is can be determined by looking at its most vulnerable members of the population.
The following 4 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • EvieTheAvocado, Jenny, Smercury44, Mark

New Zealand is another one of my favorites.

New Zealand, any of the Scandinavian countries—Norway being my favorite—and then after them ... probably the Netherlands.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 2 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Jenny, Smercury44