Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compulsory Christian assemblies in UK schools

I didn't know that school assemblies were still compulsory. I sort of remember Thatcher's government enforcing it. Now the humanist society is starting a petition against them.

Tell the Government: replace compulsory worship with inclusive assemblies for all

Even better, they should been pushing not to have assemblies at all. They're a complete waste of time.
The following 3 users Like Mathilda's post:
  • Phaedrus, Alan V, Marozz

Mandatory assemblies in my high school were just a dramatic show for the popular kids to parade themselves in front of the rest of the school. A complete waste of time, yes.
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Mathilda

I'm trying to remember if the secondary school I went to had them or not. Now I think about it, there were assemblies but they weren't overtly Christian. But then I can't remember what they were talking about anyway. They were probably doing the minimum they could get away with.

Our assemblies weren't religiously based. Just the football players and the cheerleaders doing their thing on the gym floor while the rest of us watched as though we didn't have better things to do.
The following 2 users Like Phaedrus's post:
  • Alan V, Smercury44

The wonderful thing about UK's compulsory religious classes are how effective they have been in making UK Christian. Not.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/115167...k-religion
As many as 3,879 people have been polled for the British Social Attitudes report last year, highlighting how Britain’s spiritual identity has been reshaped since 1983. Among those surveyed, only 38 percent of Britons described themselves as Christian, down from 50 percent in 2008, just 11 years ago.

Snerk!
A fool never learns from his mistakes.  A smart man learns from his mistakes.  A wise man learns from the mistakes of others.  That is why wise men study history.

Cheerful Charlie

The following 4 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Mathilda, Alan V, Smercury44, Bucky Ball

I had no idea they were still compulsory too. Fucking ridiculous. I guess it's because we don't have a separation of Church and state like America does.

And yet, ironically, we're still, overall, a much more secular country.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 2 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Mathilda, Smercury44

(08-02-2019, 09:15 AM)EvieTheAvocado Wrote: I had no idea they were still compulsory too. Fucking ridiculous. I guess it's because we don't have a separation of Church and state like America does.

And yet, ironically, we're still, overall, a much more secular country.

Sometimes the separation of church and state in the US is theoretical rather than real, particularly in the Bible Belt.

I went to a small rural school for middle and high school, and recall a couple of assemblies had low-grade religious content. There was also a thing called "release time classes" where with a parental permission slip you could be let out of school once a week for religious instruction nearby, typically in someone's home. Later in life I even developed fund accounting software for a non-profit that developed lesson materials for these classes. It wasn't allowed in all states, but it was non-controversial in many. While it was opt-in, most kids wanted their parents to sign the permission slip, or they would be perhaps the only one to opt-out and would have to be accommodated with a special study hall or something, which made you stand out socially and annoyed the school administration -- not to mention branding you as some sort of irreligious deviant. These "release-time" classes amounted to a Sunday School lesson basically. It got around separation of church and state by being "voluntary" and off school grounds.
The following 3 users Like mordant's post:
  • Smercury44, Mathilda, Alan V