Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 Commandments And Matthew 25

So we have a bunch of states trying to mandate posting of The Ten Commandments in school class rooms.  Michigan and Alabama are trying to get them displayed in all schools.

I am thinking, maybe they should instead post Matthew 25.

Matthew 25
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

If we have to have bible crap in schools, maybe it should be something that does some real good.

Challenge the right winged crudiness and boorishness that seems to be taking over this land of deplorables.

Oh, and maybe Acts 4.  God is a communist.

Acts 4
31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.
32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.

God is a communist, that is the word Of God.  Maybe the atheists in these schools could xerox up these verses and plaster them al over these schools to educate the Christians in their Christian duties.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The following 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Alan V, Gwaithmir, mordant

How about the atneist 10 commandments.  They've got that jesus shit beat.

[Image: 11025139_761021767327574_5990187042786048156_n.jpg]
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • madog, Glossophile

I'm just thinking, if the idiot politicians want to score points with the deplorable base by shoving religion down everybody's throats, maybe the religious skeptics should make sure it is not a lazy Christian religion that gets crammed down everybody's throats. Many good Christians don't read the bible and many that do don't read it carefully.

Making sure that the less "comfortable" verses are made well known to all might well take a lot of the fun out of Bible in school. Sell all you have.

Matthew 5
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

By damn, if they want to waggle their ugly religion in everybody's face, waggle it right back in their face with force and make 'em realize, the word of Jesus means what it means. Not an Ayn Rand approved sort of pseudo-Christianity the right wing approves of.
If they want our children to be marinated in Christian religion, let us skeptics show them how to do it up right

The following 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post:
  • Alan V

(08-02-2019, 05:12 AM)Minimalist Wrote: How about the atneist 10 commandments.  They've got that jesus shit beat.

[Image: 11025139_761021767327574_5990187042786048156_n.jpg]

In addition to the secular commandments themselves, I think this highlights one of the most glaring and reprehensible problems with the Biblical commandments.  The first three have absolutely nothing to do with how we should treat each other.  Instead, they're all about stroking God's massive ego.  He could've summarized those first three rules with just one: "Revere me and only me, 'cause I'm a jealous and insecure prick."  If the order is anything to go by, God apparently cares more about how we each him, a being that we could never hope to wound in the slightest, than about how we each treat our much more fragile fellow man.  His priorities are just all wrong!  The rest of the commandments are either too absolute in their scope or so obvious that we don't really need a deity to help us figure them out.

The atheist commandments, on the other hand, don't mess around and get straight to the business of interpersonal conduct.
The only sacred truth in science is that there are no sacred truths. - Carl Sagan
Ἡ μόνη ἱερᾱ̀ ἀληθείᾱ ἐν τῇ φυσικῇ φιλοσοφίᾳ ἐστὶν ἡ ἱερῶν ἀληθειῶν σπάνις. - Κᾱ́ρολος Σήγανος

The thing about atheist commandments and like stuff is that many young Christians would immediately label that as, well atheist. satanic, not Godly and thus to be ignored. Filling their silly little Christian heads with those verses such as do your praying in private, do no make religious oath (any more than that comes of evil), sell all you have and give to the poor, et al, subverts Christianity, this is not the Christianity te right winger politicians want.

A shallow dive into google, commands of Jesus shows me a great propensity for cherry picking here. For example, Matt Slick of CARM manages to create a long lost of commands of Jesus but misses out Matthew 25, and most of Matthew 5 - 7. And almost all else of these sorts of commands.

Our good right winger Christians want to turn every public meeting into a prayer session. Jesus tells us not to pray in public, pray in private in your closet. It is a right winged political dogma that American citizens do no have a right to good health care. Matthew 25 is good inoculation against this sort of far right sort of bullshit. The far right hates this sort of social gospel.

All of this is a matter of what sort of Christianity the far right wants to force down our throats.

(08-02-2019, 04:38 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: So we have a bunch of states trying to mandate posting of The Ten Commandments in school class rooms.  Michigan and Alabama are trying to get them displayed in all schools...

So the US has no statutes allowing for the freedom from religion?  In Australia, the only schools
that could get away with this sort of brainwashing would be our Catholic or Anglican private schools.
State schools (government funded) are not allowed to display religious dogma or icons anywhere
within school property, nor are teaches permitted to proselytise in class.

Then again, the kid's lunch money has "In God We Trust" emblazoned on it.  Tis a funny country.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

No need to show how other verses from the Bible are even shittier: the 10 commandments are already shitty enough. God must be like "Whoopsie, silly me, I accidentally put something about not coveting (read: thoughtcrime) in there but not owning slaves just completely slipped my fucking mind. My bad."
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 2 users Like EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • brunumb, Gwaithmir

There are 613 commandments.
They need to post ALL of them.
https://www.chabad.org/library/article_c...itzvot.htm
What's up with these lazy-ass shirkers ?
What ... ? They never took Bible class ?

I like these, among the many :

If you go out to war against your enemies, and the Lord, your God, will deliver him into your hands, and you take his captives, and you see among the captives a beautiful woman and you desire her, you may take [her] for yourself as a wife.

You shall bring her into your home, and she shall shave her head and let her nails grow.

And she shall remove the garment of her captivity from upon herself, and stay in your house, and weep for her father and her mother for a full month. After that, you may be intimate with her and possess her, and she will be a wife for you.

And it will be, if you do not desire her, then you shall send her away wherever she wishes, but you shall not sell her for money. You shall not keep her as a servant, because you have afflicted her.

If a man has two wives-one beloved and the other despised-and they bear him sons, the beloved one and the despised one, and the firstborn son is from the despised one.

Then it will be, on the day he [the husband] bequeaths his property to his sons, that he will not be able to give the son of the beloved [wife] birthright precedence over the son of the despised [wife]-the [real] firstborn son.

Rather, he must acknowledge the firstborn, the son of the despised [wife] and give him a double share in all that he possesses, because he [this firstborn son] is the first of his strength, then he has the birthright entitlement.
Test
The following 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post:
  • Unsapien

Quote: If you go out to war against your enemies, and the Lord, your God, will deliver him into your hands.......

Interesting for a nation which got its ass kicked by every one who came along.  The shrinks probably have a word for that.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 1 user Likes Minimalist's post:
  • brunumb

(08-02-2019, 04:38 AM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: So we have a bunch of states trying to mandate posting of The Ten Commandments in school class rooms.  Michigan and Alabama are trying to get them displayed in all schools.

I am thinking, maybe they should instead post Matthew 25.

Matthew 25
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

If we have to have bible crap in schools, maybe it should be something that does some real good.

Challenge the right winged crudiness and boorishness that seems to be taking over this land of deplorables.

Oh, and maybe Acts 4.  God is a communist.

Acts 4
31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.
32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.

God is a communist, that is the word Of God.  Maybe the atheists in these schools could xerox up these verses and plaster them al over these schools to educate the Christians in their Christian duties.

They would instantly claim you were "taking these verses out of context" (translation: not cherry picking like I do).