Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Folding-Screen Phone... Yes? No?
Information 
This is yet another attempt at a folding phone about
to be released after the failure of the Samsung...

The Royole FlexPai which you can purchase HERE.

There's a hands-on review HERE, which makes it seem
a bit of a mixed bag—as far as its physical practicality goes.

Its major issue as I see it is the longevity of the hinging
mechanism, and obviously the surface of the screen.  As
it's constantly facing "outwards" it's sure to suffer from
impacts and scratches—as it won't carry Gorilla glass. Its
thickness is another major black mark, particularly as it'll
absolutely need a firm protective case.

Certainly not for me at sixteen hundred bucks.      Thumbsdown
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

I'd love to see something like that - working properly of course.
[Image: color%5D%5Bcolor=#333333%5D%5Bsize=small%5D%5Bfont=T...ans-Serif%5D]

Here in Australia, Samsung has released its revised folding-screen phone; the imaginatively-named [sic ] Galaxy Fold.

The only problem I see?  Its RRP of AU$3,000.....  me falling on floor, laughing uncontrollably.

Quote:Samsung’s vice president of framework R & D group in the mobile division Sally Jeong said the Fold eliminates
the need to own another device. “Before the development of the Galaxy Fold, I had a smartphone and a tablet,
but the combination of the two created an entirely new experience,” she said. “The larger screen completely
changed things like watching movies, checking email and catching up on the news, to the point that I could no
longer be satisfied with a smaller screen.”

Realistically, who's gonna watch a 70mm movie on a fucking mobile phone screen?  And does this stupid woman
really "catch up on the news" on her phone?  Seriously?      I'm thinking she needs to get a life.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • brunumb

I take a tablet when I'm going to be in the hospital for a while. I watch movies and Youtubes on it. My brain adjusts to the screen size easily. If I had a tablet that doubled as a cell phone I'd be pleased, but not enough to pay extra for one. Here at home I have two 27" monitors on my desk and a 40" TV hard by the one on the right. Size doesn't matter.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

I have no use for one. Don't see what it's useful for.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

(11-04-2019, 04:23 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: I have no use for one. Don't see what it's useful for.

We have tablets in umpteen different sizes, cell phones with and without screens, etc.
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(11-04-2019, 04:23 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote: I have no use for one. Don't see what it's useful for.

The idea seems to be to appeal to the space conscious.  But it's early days.  I'll wait for when I can fold it like kleenex before I go for one.
If it doesn't work, it doesn't matter how fast it doesn't work. ~ ???
The following 1 user Likes tomilay's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

As a aux. TV screen for the yard apes in the back seat, for one. Belly TV for the sick room. Attached to a kitchen cabinet so the cook can get drunk with Julia.

I had discussion with Patrick about formatting for Hyperwar. At one point he said "If we do it that way it will fit the screen better." I replied "your cell phone screen or my 27" monitor?"

Can it fold up so it fits into a pocket better than the big ole phones that are so popular now?   I see women with these big huge phones barely fitting in the pockets of blue jeans.  

Phones have gotten too big for their britches.  <--- tee-hee....kind of a silly joke there.
                                                         T4618

Well, Don't have a need for it . I have a tablet which covers most things .

I resisted getting a mobile phone for years. Then for about 5 years, I had one which was a phone and could send texts. Used only for emergencies; car breaks down, a fall down at home that kind of things. I REALLY didn't want to be that available. So I refused to tell anyone my number.

I began to thaw with a Samsung mimi about three years ago.It was nifty.

THEN a mate told me about KOGAN*; unlocked, 5 inch screen. Features normally found in a $600 phone. It was $200. A 12 month prepaid plan was $146, all calls and texts included. But only 6GB of data (which I have never used)

The phone carrier is Vodaphone.

My phone is in its third year. Still love it. Use it instead of my LAN line. It also has an excellent camera . I have VOIP for emergencies. Cost is $1.67 a month, plus calls,

Thinking of buying a Huawei next time .

*There's this Aussie bloke called 'Kogan'. He buys generic Chinese tech and sticks his name on it. At present he is the largest retailer of TV's in Australia. My phone is an AGORA 8 Plus.

(11-06-2019, 02:39 AM)grympy Wrote: Well, Don't have a need for it . I have a tablet which covers most things  which need a bigger screen ,especially Ebooks. .

I resisted getting a mobile phone for years. Then for  about 5 years, I had one  which was a phone and could send texts.  Used only for emergencies;  car breaks down, I fall down at home, that kind of things.  I REALLY didn't want to be that available.  So I refused  to tell anyone my number.

I began to thaw with a Samsung mini about three years ago.It was nifty.  

THEN a mate told me about KOGAN*;  unlocked,  5 inch screen. Features normally found in a $600 phone.  It was $200.  A 12 month prepaid plan  was $146, all calls and texts included. But only 6GB of data (which I have never used)

The phone carrier is  Vodaphone.

My phone is in its third year. Still love it. Use it instead of my LAN line. It also has an excellent camera .

I have VOIP for emergencies; I drop the mobile phone, dog eats it etc ,etc . Cost is  $1.67 a month, plus calls,  

Thinking  of buying a Huawei  next time .

*There's this Aussie bloke called  'Kogan'. He buys generic Chinese tech and sticks his name on it.   At present he is the largest retailer of TV's in Australia. My phone is an AGORA 8 Plus.

Did you see the way he opened it?

OMG, this thang gonna break.

That would also be my thought every time I attempted to unfold it.
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • SYZ

(11-04-2019, 12:39 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: ...Size doesn't matter.

Um...

Nope.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

Why tho
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

(11-06-2019, 02:58 PM)SYZ Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 12:39 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: ...Size doesn't matter.

Um...

When I'm in the hospital I often take a laptop, a 9.2 inch tablet, and a cell phone. I watch videos on all of them without struggles.

I just obtained a new Samsung Tab A 10.1 tablet. Just the thing for sitting in a doctor's waiting room. Samsung has a tablet that also has a phone ability. This has a 10 hour battery life, which beats my old Dell tablet with it's pathetic 2 hour battery life. I cannot stuff it in a pocket, but I have a bag I take to such outings. This one has Android Pie with Samsung's UI, it is complex as hell. I also have an old Dell laptop about to get upgraded with memory so I can run a decent Linux system on it. It is a very slow CPU, but I have it already. I have no cell phone.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

I gave up on tablets and went to a netbook for fluffy surfing. I like the keyboard option.

No poll question? Awwww Sad Wink I say yes to flip.
The following 2 users Like Jenny's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, GenesisNemesis