Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The IT Thread

The IT Thread
(06-26-2019, 03:40 PM)Mark Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 03:23 AM)Schrodinger's Outlaw Wrote: hovering the mouse over a link does not mean taking the mouse and placing it on your monitor

That explains a lot, thanks.  

Sure do miss those retractable coffee holders my older computers had.

This has reminded me: back in the beginning of the internet, there was a progam/app you could download call "Coca Cola Can Holder". Clicking on it opened your disc drive  Big Grin
The following 1 user Likes OakTree500's post:
  • Mark

The IT Thread
(06-26-2019, 03:21 AM)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote: Hello everyone.  I've created this thread for people to share whatever they want about IT: IT experience, test-taking/study tips and tactics for certification, professionalism tips, experiences with rude IT people, etc.

For a little background on me, I've recently become interested in getting into the IT field; I have no IT experience.  As a result, I've passed The COMPTIA A+ exams (901 and 902) and am A+ certified: A+ certification basically means that one is qualified to work as a help desk technician ( IT entry level).  

I'm looking forward to my job search and getting into the IT field and am also going to start studying for the COMPTIA Network + certification; I'll tackle COMPTIA security + afterwards (security seems pretty cool IMO).

Well, if anyone is interested in talking about IT, I'm all ears.  Thanks.

Hey Kern, 

Good luck job hunting, I'm currently planning on doing a degree called 'Ethical Hacking and Cybersecurity' at either Coventry or Staffordshire in the UK, hopefully Coventry, (cybersecurity's really cool right now, lots of demand in UK for CyberSec grads but not really that much supply). 

Once again, welcome to IT and good luck with the CompTIA exams
The following 1 user Likes Cypher44's post:
  • Kernel Sohcahtoa

The IT Thread
(06-26-2019, 11:06 PM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 11:36 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The techs were here twice and replaced the modem, without finding a problem with their equipment. As rebooting returns the d/l speed to promised numbers I have to suspect that the problem is in my computer. Hence my question on what procedure is best for me, based on remote SWAGs of course.

I never assume it's my equipment. There's only a couple things that can go wrong at the computer while there are numerous choke points upstream of you. Make 'em prove it's your PC.

If there's a problem, I always assume Microsoft contributed to it in some way. I think that's a reasonable assumption and that history will bear me out.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 5 users Like Dānu's post:
  • Mark, skyking, TheGentlemanBastard, Inkubus, Jenny

The IT Thread
I won't be home until Friday, at the earliest.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]
Photo 
The IT Thread
This is an example of the maximum speeds I can get in Melbourne, Australia...

[Image: 8370978488.png]

And our Government claims we're "the lucky country".  What a fucking wank!
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama

The IT Thread
(06-27-2019, 12:15 PM)SYZ Wrote: This is an example of the maximum speeds I can get in Melbourne, Australia...

[Image: 8370978488.png]

And our Government claims we're "the lucky country".  What a fucking wank!

Lucky!  Ours claims we're in the process of getting "great again".
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 3 users Like Mark's post:
  • Dānu, skyking, SYZ

The IT Thread
Okay, still having problem of variable download speeds. I admit to being a minimally skilled person when it comes to computer. But taking the computer to an IT professional would be expensive. Soooo, are there any "pull the piece and plug in a new one" solutions I can try? My uniformed suspicious is the thingy that takes the LAN into the computer can't cope with the new system.

The IT Thread
(07-06-2019, 11:18 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Okay, still having problem of variable download speeds. I admit to being a minimally skilled person when it comes to computer. But taking the computer to an IT professional would be expensive. Soooo, are there any "pull the piece and plug in a new one" solutions I can try? My uniformed suspicious is the thingy that takes the LAN into the computer can't cope with the new system.

Download (and upload) speeds can be affected by several things.

Distance from broadband node; cable capacity; copper pairs (possibly) in the line; ISP shaping; host server capacity;
outdated modem or router; excessive browser security plugins; unknown background downloads; browser cache full
to capacity; unseen open background windows; unanswered dialogue boxes; and lastly of course it depends on the
speed you're paying your ISP for—are you getting what you paid for under your plan?  If not, have you contacted them?

Also, are you FTTN, FTTP, cable all the way, cable plus copper pair, wireless, or satellite?

Let's know.

The IT Thread
It's fiber optic to the house. After than it LAN cable. Plan is Internet1000, 1 gigabit per second. The other devices in the house are getting all they can handle.

The IT Thread
One more thing. My printer is connected to my PC via a LAN cable, and it works intermittently.

The IT Thread
(07-06-2019, 07:26 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: It's fiber optic to the house. After than it LAN cable. Plan is Internet1000, 1 gigabit per second...

I'd be guessing that your download speed issues are with your hardware in this case.  
Have you run a speed test at various times of the day to check if it's (possibly)
a problem with the cable from the fibre distribution hub/exchange/node? A full cable,
1 gigabit per second connection shouldn't present any speed issues.

[Image: nbn-fttp.jpg]

Quote:One more thing. My printer is connected to my PC via a LAN cable, and it works intermittently.

This is definitely a hardware problem.  I hate to say it, but it looks like you may need
a new router and maybe a new printer—although you could try reloading the latest printer
and router drivers to see if that improves things.  Bear in mind too that distant servers
are often inadequate and/or overloaded by too many users, although this would normally
be obvious by connection "timed out" error messages.  Some devious ISPs will also throttle
download speeds on a rotating user basis when they're selling bandwidth that they don't
really have, in an attempt to satisfy all their clients at the same time.  This often happens
around 5PMish to 11PMish with kids firing up, and Friday nights and Monday mornings as
businesses shut up shop, or open up.

One last trick is to switch your router off (power down) for say 10 or 20 minutes to force
a new IP number for your connection when you reboot it.  That MAY make a difference, but
probably not.

The IT Thread
Here's the latest test runs I've made.

[Image: kAP3OL7.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • SYZ

The IT Thread
I thought rebooting regularly would help, but not so.

I'm going to take this thing to the shop next week.

Anybody got recommendations for a router that can handle this speed efficiently?

The IT Thread
(07-07-2019, 11:06 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Anybody got recommendations for a router that can handle this speed efficiently?

Asus RT-AC86U or TP-Link Archer C5400 v2
The following 1 user Likes PopeyesPappy's post:
  • SYZ

The IT Thread
(07-07-2019, 01:05 PM)PopeyesPappy Wrote:
(07-07-2019, 11:06 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Anybody got recommendations for a router that can handle this speed efficiently?

Three TVs, two phones, two laser printers, one laptop, all on wifi. One desktop, one laptop, on LAN. Would either of your suggestions be preferred over the other with that in mind?

The IT Thread
(07-07-2019, 02:35 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(07-07-2019, 01:05 PM)PopeyesPappy Wrote:

Three TVs, two phones, two laser printers, one laptop, all on wifi. One desktop, one laptop, on LAN. Would either of your suggestions be preferred over the other with that in mind?

The TP-Link is probably going to give you better wireless coverage but cost a little more. You are going to need to add a switch with either one if you have more than 4 wired devices, but that is going to be the case with most routers.
The following 2 users Like PopeyesPappy's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, SYZ

The IT Thread
Money isn't an issue. We sortie in a half hour.

The IT Thread
(07-07-2019, 07:42 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Money isn't an issue. We sortie in a half hour.

So how'd it go?

The IT Thread
(07-08-2019, 02:16 AM)PopeyesPappy Wrote:
(07-07-2019, 07:42 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Money isn't an issue. We sortie in a half hour.

So how'd it go?

Ordered the TP-Link box. Saved $40 over Best Buy going through Amazon. Be here in a week or so. Shy

The IT Thread
[Image: tenor.gif]

The IT Thread
Stop clowning around or I'll have to invoke the Gunslinger and take a Stand.
The following 3 users Like Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • OakTree500, brewerb, Phaedrus

The IT Thread
BTW, I found the problem with my D/L speed. When I do Ookla in Chrome I get wildy variable numbers. If I use the Ookla desktop app I get speeds consistent with what I was promised, 900+ D/L.

The IT Thread
(06-26-2019, 10:41 AM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Okay, I have Internet1000 from AT&T, guaranteed UP TO 1,000 Mbps. However, if I don't reboot at least daily the download slows to, worst cast, >100 Mbps.

Do I need to have the box checked out or should I just be thankful for a reason to reboot regularly? (I have the money to get it worked over by professionals, but do I need to spend that money at all?)

If you have ATT, make sure you do not use their DHCP DNS server.  Set your system as static and find two good static DNS server addresses.  Almost all my ATT problems went away when I did that.  You will want two.  The seconds acts as a backup if the first ever has problems and goes down for awhile.

---
https://www.macecraft.com/best-dns-serve...free-2018/

Some of the best DNS servers are actually the backbones of the Internet as we know it today. They allow for the information available online to arrive at your IP address and show up in your web browser. However, some DNS servers are better than others, depending on your preferences.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

The IT Thread
Some of that was in English.

The IT Thread
(10-08-2019, 10:45 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Some of that was in English.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-chang...windows-10

You can always use more private and reliable DNS servers, and in this guide we'll show how to change these settings on Windows 10.

If you use Windows and I suspect you do, here is how to set up using static DNS servers.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!