Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things that drive you nuts.

The rise of "porch piracy".
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

(12-05-2019, 05:21 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote: The rise of "porch piracy".

That's why I have a target with the ten ring blown out hanging in my front window.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

The spread of illiteracy to those who really should know better or haven't had their copy corrected before they say stupid shit.

The word you're looking for is ""immensity", or "vastness", or "hugeness", or "colossal", NOT "enormity".  It doesn't mean what you think it means.

The ending "bury" in place names isn't pronounced "berry". 

How about having your verbs and nouns agree in number?  "The boy, like all of the fifth-graders, are ..."  Aaaaaaghh.

I could go on.  And on. And ...

I guess what really drives me nuts is I keep yelling at the TV and they don't pay any attention. Angry
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte
The following 1 user Likes Chas's post:
  • SYZ

(12-05-2019, 09:44 PM)Chas Wrote: The spread of illiteracy to those who really should know better or haven't had their copy corrected before they say stupid shit.

The word you're looking for is ""immensity", or "vastness", or "hugeness", or "colossal", NOT "enormity".  It doesn't mean what you think it means.

The enormity of the problem is simply unfathomable.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.

Only 19 days until Xmas and the end of Xmas music at our stores.
I am a sovereign citizen of the Multiverse, and I vote!

(12-06-2019, 03:40 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 09:44 PM)Chas Wrote: The spread of illiteracy to those who really should know better or haven't had their copy corrected before they say stupid shit.

Irregardless....

Having to wait to find out some potentially bad news. Not knowing whether my worst fears have come to pass and being able to do nothing about it drives me up the wall.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • GenesisNemesis

(12-06-2019, 07:12 AM)Dānu Wrote:
(12-06-2019, 03:40 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:

Irregardless....

Having to wait to find out some potentially bad news.  Not knowing whether my worst fears have come to pass and being able to do nothing about it drives me up the wall.
"God, give me patience, and right fucking now!"
The following 1 user Likes Gawdzilla Sama's post:
  • Dānu

I ordered a sewing machine a few days ago and made sure I was home when it was delivered but I wonder what a porch pirate would think if they stole it, got it home, opened it up and saw that it was a sewing machine and not some high tech computer gaget. (although it has a computer display screen)  I wonder what they're hoping is inside a package when they steal it.  Maybe they don't care as long as it's something they can re-sell.
                                                         T4618

(12-06-2019, 03:42 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

I ordered a sewing machine a few days ago and made sure I was home when it was delivered but I wonder what a porch pirate would think if they stole it, got it home, opened it up and saw that it was a sewing machine and not some high tech computer gaget. (although it has a computer display screen)  I wonder what they're hoping is inside a package when they steal it.  Maybe they don't care as long as it's something they can re-sell.

Porch piracy wouldn't be as big of a problem if not for the concommitant shift to using shipping methods that do not require signature on delivery or delivery to an actual person.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • Fireball

The delivery guys don't seem to have time to push the doorbell these days.

And Bast help you if your near the exit from their mutual starting point when the bell rings. I was surrounded by TWENTY-TWO Prime delivery vans one day. I went the same speed they were going, my pooter won't accept a Ford Transit van.

(12-06-2019, 03:48 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(12-06-2019, 03:42 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:

Porch piracy wouldn't be as big of a problem if not for the concommitant shift to using shipping methods that do not require signature on delivery or delivery to an actual person.

That's true but people aren't home much of the time.  I work out of my home so I pick up every package immediately.   They ring the doorbell when they drop it off at the doorstep then hop in their truck and go to the next stop.   

Amazon is supposed to be delivering packages via drone pretty soon.  Hahaha!  I see the problem getting worse.  I'll bet my sweet Aunt Martha's cupcakes that some of the drones are going to be shot out of the sky with a BB gun or some other method and porch pirates will get to have the new name, "drone pirates".
                                                         T4618

Luckily, since we live close to a 7-Eleven with dropoff boxes, we can have most of our package sent there -- even if we are home.

(12-06-2019, 04:05 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote:
(12-06-2019, 03:48 PM)Dānu Wrote:
(12-06-2019, 03:42 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I ordered a sewing machine a few days ago and made sure I was home when it was delivered but I wonder what a porch pirate would think if they stole it, got it home, opened it up and saw that it was a sewing machine and not some high tech computer gaget. (although it has a computer display screen)  I wonder what they're hoping is inside a package when they steal it.  Maybe they don't care as long as it's something they can re-sell.

That's true but people aren't home much of the time.  I work out of my home so I pick up every package immediately.   They ring the doorbell when they drop it off at the doorstep then hop in their truck and go to the next stop.   

Not being home would be significantly less of a problem if they didn't leave packages without a signature, or with a neighbor, or repeat delivery attempts if they can't, or allow you to call and have your package held at the shipping depot, which UPS used to do, and back then, everybody shipped UPS or sometimes Fedex. Now they've got pimply-faced kids who couldn't give a flying fuck doing whatever they feel like with your package dependent upon their mood at that specific time and day. No. It isn't people not being home. The companies are saving money. Porch thieves are getting more income from stolen packages. Delivery people are given gainful employment regardless of whether they do their job competently or not. And nobody on the other end cares so long as they get your money. The only person that suffers these days is the customers, and that's all because ultimately, Steve Bezos couldn't give a shit about you and your concerns.

Vivekananda

Christians: god is logically necessary!

Also Christians: in order for our god to be able to do anything he has to be able to break whatever rules he wants! Screw logic!
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Alan V, Dānu, Dancefortwo

Babysitting other peoples kids.. Especially when they're not doing as they're told.
He loves me?  Facepalm

Cages, Ben, cages.
  • NorthernBen

(12-05-2019, 09:44 PM)Chas Wrote: I could go on.  And on. And ...

I guess what really drives me nuts is I keep yelling at the TV and they don't pay any attention.

I'm with you on this one Chas.

BTW, after our continuing bushfires here in Victoria, if I hear one more fucking millennial
newsreader say; "The fire in the northern ranges has decimated the state forest",  I'll put
a brick through the screen!

Do they really mean that 90% of the forest was untouched?  I don't think so.    Angry
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Chas

"Well, the government is suppressing the information on (pick your conspiracy) so we'll never really know."
  • Alan V

(12-09-2019, 09:09 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Cages, Ben,  cages.

We'd send Ben some kiddie cages but they're being used along the Mexican border at the moment.
                                                         T4618

Cattle prods then.
  • Dancefortwo

(12-10-2019, 03:53 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Cattle prods then.

Yeah, when my kids were little sometimes I felt like I needed a cattle prod. They are 2 years apart. When the youngest was 2 and the other was 4 I felt like a lion keeper.  I needed a whip and a chair to keep them in line.   

A little off topic but on the subject of toddlers, once I read that a little experiment was done with athlete Jim Thorp who was the best athlete in the country at the time.  He was asked to spend a day mimicking a toddler's every movement.  He lasted a couple of hours and fell over in exhaustion.  Toddlers are a powerhouse of perpetual activity.  I'm pretty sure they suck the life out of adults and leave them to die on the couch.
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Chas, Fireball

(12-09-2019, 09:09 PM)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Cages, Ben,  cages.

Or duct tape - it's more portable.
“Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet. 
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

If you believe in authoritarianism you are not an "individualist".
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Alan V

Lady walks off the curb into the path of my car. I manage to stop, just barely. I advise her that she would have to pay for damage to my vehicle if I crushed her in the street.

"I'm a goddamn pedestrian!"

"I'm a mortician, and I don't need any more work!"

"Yeah, when my kids were little sometimes I felt like I needed a cattle prod. "

Too high tech. My mother managed perfectly well with a bike chain on a large stick.   Tongue

Keeping the tradition alive, I take a house brick tied to a piece of string 18 inches long when I go out. I use it to chastise the parents of noisy children. (it's all in the wrist)