Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The science of Theism

The science of Theism
I've been reading many threads and discussions on reconciling theism with science, and the many difficulties this causes. The most common problem seems to be time. From the biblical days which could really be millennia, to the various concepts that stumble on when time begins, it has proven to be a consistent conundrum.
I propose a new property, called Temporosity.  It's a kinder, gentler definition of time, filled with tiny holes and gaps. It lends a comforting vagueness and removes those harsh edges. What fills those gaps? Just as science has proposed dark matter to account for missing mass in equations, these gaps are filled with light matter.
Using the new light matter model, one can even reconcile the biblical flood!
The light matter increases water's surface tension so much, that localized flooding of great proportions can indeed occur. A flood localized to the proper geography can and did occur, and the written histories of China other early civilizations will not have any record of it.

Sun
The following 2 users Like skyking's post:
  • Unsapien, Dānu

The science of Theism
The wonderful thing about believing in theistic nonsense is that one gets to make up apologies for how all the science in it is wrong. Unless it's Islam, and then the individual gets to erroneously attribute the description of a mountain to the geological science of tectonic plates, etc.

The science of Theism
The science of theism = major oxymoron.    Big Grin
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • Minimalist

The science of Theism
I would like to see more religious people try to reconcile religion with science, because that would mean they at least acknowledge the problems involved.

That would be better than a retreat into From's idealism, where science can be suspended because it's all about God's thoughts anyway.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • Mark

The science of Theism
Funny thing is people who claim religion is compatible with science often also claim that "religion and science answer different questions", which is not the same as being compatible with each other. In fact that means they're still incompatible, if they answer different questions. They also tend to make a number of wild claims, whereas science is much more careful and methodical.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” -Carl Sagan.
The following 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post:
  • Alan V

The science of Theism
(06-16-2019, 03:40 AM)skyking Wrote: Using the new light matter model, one can even reconcile the biblical flood!

Sun

The flood tale in the bible is virtually plagiarized from the older epic of Gilgamesh. So, yes, there may have been a flood in the region, making up for the foundation of the accounts.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

The science of Theism
(06-16-2019, 09:29 AM)Alan V Wrote: I would like to see more religious people try to reconcile religion with science, because that would mean they at least acknowledge the problems involved.

That would be better than a retreat into From's idealism, where science can be suspended because it's all about God's thoughts anyway.

Completely agree.  I don't really care if people are religious but if they are, I much prefer they reconcile their beliefs with the findings of science.  I hate to see anyone paint themselves into such a useless and outmoded mindset as that which YEC's deal with.  Apparently theology matters and it needs to be really sharp to allow a believer to participate fully within the science community as quite a few do.  Sadly, in the U.S. at least, so many Christians who are not involved in science seem riddled with unchecked and unquestioned magical thinking.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Alan V

The science of Theism
If you want to add science to theism ... add an A at the beginning  Dance
The following 3 users Like madog's post:
  • Fireball, SYZ, Inkubus

The science of Theism
If you include magic, you can rationalize anything. God "time" can be anything they want. And they ain't giving up magic.
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 
The following 1 user Likes brewerb's post:
  • brunumb

The science of Theism
you lot are way to serious Big Grin

The science of Theism
(06-16-2019, 03:40 AM)skyking Wrote: I've been reading many threads and discussions on reconciling theism with science, and the many difficulties this causes. The most common problem seems to be time. From the biblical days which could really be millennia, to the various concepts that stumble on when time begins, it has proven to be a consistent conundrum.
I propose a new property, called Temporosity.  It's a kinder, gentler definition of time, filled with tiny holes and gaps. It lends a comforting vagueness and removes those harsh edges. What fills those gaps? Just as science has proposed dark matter to account for missing mass in equations, these gaps are filled with light matter.
The light matter increases water's surface tension so much, that localized flooding of great proportions can indeed occur. A flood localized to the proper geography can and did occur, and the written histories of China other early civilizations will not have any record of it.

Sun

Poe's Second Corollary states that you're going to feel like a complete idiot when this turns up on Answers in Genesis in a couple of weeks.
The following 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post:
  • Unsapien

The science of Theism
anybody who buys it would be the compleat ideot..

The science of Theism
The only "time" we know about is space-time. The end.

The null hypothesis in the "science" of theism would be very easy to state and prove.  Big Grin
Test

The science of Theism
(06-16-2019, 08:24 PM)skyking Wrote: anybody who buys it would be the compleat ideot..

Does AiG stock any other kind?

The science of Theism
Quote: The effort to reconcile science and religion is almost always made, not by theologians, but by scientists unable to shake off altogether the piety absorbed with their mother’s milk.

H. L. Mencken
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”
The following 2 users Like Minimalist's post:
  • vulcanlogician, brunumb

The science of Theism
(06-16-2019, 03:40 AM)skyking Wrote: I've been reading many threads and discussions on reconciling theism with science, and the many difficulties this causes. The most common problem seems to be time. From the biblical days which could really be millennia, to the various concepts that stumble on when time begins, it has proven to be a consistent conundrum.

Sun

This light matter model would also explain how Moses was able to part the red sea, and how Jesus was able to walk on water it explains so much! Brilliant!
It would also explain how ships can fall off the edge of our obviously flat earth  but the water doesn't, no need  for those clearly inaccurate flat earth maps showing the world being surrounded by an ice wall.
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 2 users Like Unsapien's post:
  • skyking, Inkubus

The science of Theism

Sun

Sure. It's all made up, anyway. There are no constraints on fiction. If Arthur Conan Doyle had wanted to add or subtract a few details from his accounts of Sherlock Holmes, nobody would have been the wiser, and none would have ground to dispute him.
Mountain-high though the difficulties appear, terrible and gloomy though all things seem, they are but Mâyâ.
Fear not — it is banished. Crush it, and it vanishes. Stamp upon it, and it dies.

Vivekananda
The following 1 user Likes Dānu's post:
  • brunumb