Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summer travel/vacation plans?

We really enjoyed our trip to Chicago last week. Our hotel was in walking distance of the Field Museum and Soldier Field. We did some shopping at the Navy Pier which kind of sucked because half of it was closed for renovation. We took a boat ride, visited the Field Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry, and saw the Stones concert Tuesday night and a Cubs Braves game Wednesday night. We ate at a couple of different pizza places. Giordano's had the best sauce, but Lou Malnati's butter crust was fantastic. Somebody needs to combine those two for the perfect deep dish. We also had a nice meal at Joe's Seafood. I got the stone crab, Karen got the filet, and we shared so surf and turf sort of.

Sue

[Image: vScYpBr.jpg]

Stones

[Image: FuJszuT.jpg]

Next year I want to do either Bar Harbor Maine or Seattle, but that means flying and Karen isn't too keen on that.
The following 2 users Like PopeyesPappy's post:
  • Astreja, Jenny

(06-03-2019, 11:44 AM)Alan V Wrote: I have gotten so used to never going on any vacations at all that the question actually surprised me.

All I can add is that retirement is a long vacation for me, and that there are still plenty of things to see in the Philadelphia area, or to see again, which allow me to return to my own bed each night.  I guess I'm lucky that way.

Indeed there are!  For a hort-head like me Chanticleer gardens would be my first stop and Longwood gardens would also be a must.  Then you are less than an hour and a half from NYC where there is good public transportation, and one of these days I want to go to the High Line.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 1 user Likes Mark's post:
  • Alan V

(07-02-2019, 02:00 PM)Mark Wrote: For a hort-head like me Chanticleer gardens would be my first stop and Longwood gardens would also be a must.  Then you are less than an hour and a half from NYC where there is good public transportation, and one of these days I want to go to the High Line.

Longwood Gardens is about 25 miles from my house, and my wife and I go there to walk around and take pictures every couple years.  It really is incredible.

Winterthur's garden is about the same distance away, and it's also remarkable.  But we haven't been there in years.

http://www.winterthur.org/visit/garden/

Surprisingly I had never heard of Chanticleer Garden.  I will have to look into visiting, since it sounds like something we would want to see.

My wife has sworn never to go to New York City again.  She hates the crowds.
The following 1 user Likes Alan V's post:
  • Marozz

So I'm on my way to Duluth.

First part of the trip was an 8 1/2 hour drive on the TransCanada highway from ottawa to Sault Ste Marie. There's a whole lot of nothing on that road, a lot of tiny towns with a lot of boarded up homes & businesses. All the kids want to do is move to the cities I guess.

I was surprised at the number Christian billboards along the way too, quotes from the bible or just Jesus died for your sins kind of thing, at least a dozen that I saw. I guess rural Canada is not so different from rural America as I thought. There was also a church called "The soldiers of God" with a giant cross out front that had "I am coming soon" written on it.

2 Bible camps on the way, but there was also one called the "Rainbow camp" that's for LGBTQ2+ kids, I liked that.

Best sign I saw on the way said "Don't feed the bears, bears are dangerous" fuck that made me laugh, wish I could have gotten a picture of it.

Tomorrow across the border and 7 1/2 hours drive to Duluth, we'll see what that'll be like.
[Image: 20220702-163925.jpg]

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

The following 1 user Likes Unsapien's post:
  • Alan V

Spent Friday night in Branson, Mo., aka Hillbilly Heaven. Basically one street lined with tourist traps. But we did enjoy the Shanghai Acrobats.
[Image: M-Spr20-Weapons-FEATURED-1-1200x350-c-default.jpg]

My wife wanted to go to Solvang, CA (a Scandinavian tourist trap) a couple of months ago. She drove, because she gets all nutso when I drive (it's a vision problem on her part- don't get me started). She drove all the way there, which was about 4 hours. We had lunch at an Italian restaurant  Big Grin (IK,R? but it was less busy than the Scando places) and then we went home along the coast of California. She wants to go someplace in September, but I had foot surgery 6 weeks ago, and I won't be road ready for a few more months, especially when I could only walk about .1 miles BEFORE the foot surgery, and both feet are involved.  Dodgy I'm thinking about spending the kid's inheritance on a European Vacation, but if my poor feet aren't up to it, we aren't going. If I'm going to get my pocket picked, i'd like to at least be able to chase the perp.  Facepalm
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The following 5 users Like Fireball's post:
  • Jenny, Dancefortwo, Marozz, Tres Leches, Gawdzilla Sama

I'm going to Finland to learn how to rake forests.
Test
The following 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Unsapien, Fireball, Tres Leches, Deesse23, Gawdzilla Sama

(07-15-2019, 03:02 AM)Fireball Wrote: My wife wanted to go to Solvang, CA (a Scandinavian tourist trap) a couple of months ago. She drove, because she gets all nutso when I drive (it's a vision problem on her part- don't get me started). She drove all the way there, which was about 4 hours. We had lunch at an Italian restaurant  Big Grin (IK,R? but it was less busy than the Scando places) and then we went home along the coast of California. She wants to go someplace in September, but I had foot surgery 6 weeks ago, and I won't be road ready for a few more months, especially when I could only walk about .1 miles BEFORE the foot surgery, and both feet are involved.  Dodgy I'm thinking about spending the kid's inheritance on a European Vacation, but if my poor feet aren't up to it, we aren't going. If I'm going to get my pocket picked, i'd like to at least be able to chase the perp.  Facepalm

a cruise is da bomb when mobility is an issue. No need to pack and unpack, your room travels with you.
The following 3 users Like skyking's post:
  • Jenny, Unsapien, c172

Going to Yellowstone the first week of August.  I went there when I was 4 years old so I don't remember much about it.  I'm expecting a large crowds but what are ya gonna do.  It is what it is.
                                                         T4618
The following 3 users Like Dancefortwo's post:
  • skyking, Bucky Ball, Gawdzilla Sama

(07-15-2019, 01:58 AM)Unsapien Wrote: So I'm on my way to Duluth.

Watching the Fargo telly series right now.
The following 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post:
  • Unsapien

(07-15-2019, 05:17 AM)Dancefortwo Wrote: Going to Yellowstone the first week of August.  I went there when I was 4 years old so I don't remember much about it.  I'm expecting a large crowds but what are ya gonna do.  It is what it is.
It is the teacher's life. You can't vacation when the herds of motor homes are completely gone. Do it as late as possible, if you decide to go again. 
We have been there in May and also September, and one trip in August with family. It was all good and we will go again. Someday we would like to go in winter, snowcat into the lodge at old faithful.
The following 4 users Like skyking's post:
  • Dancefortwo, Gawdzilla Sama, Jenny, jerry mcmasters

We spent last week in Antibes, on the French Riviera. It lies between Nice and Cannes but is a much nicer town than either of those. Although the rich moor their super yachts in Antibes, the town itself is a working town. We had a wonderful holiday and we will definitely go back

[Image: B0904719-DB6-B-4926-A0-FF-003-CC78-B5-DEA.jpg]

Me and the missus outside our rented apartment. It was perfect  and was within walking distance of the main square in the center of Antibes. 

[Image: F0431-D5-D-73-E2-49-E6-B864-28-E7-CEE4-D07-D.jpg]

Here are some of the billionaires super yachts moored in Antibes port. The one on the left, the Katara, is owned by the Emir of Qatar. Apparently it is valued at US$ 400 million!
The following 6 users Like Marozz's post:
  • Alan V, skyking, Tres Leches, Deesse23, Jenny, jerry mcmasters

So, I've been wanting to take a short flight since my health deteriorated just to ee if I could handle it anymore before I try visiting family in the midwest and northwest again. So, it looks like I might do San Jose in mid-Sep. SDSU men's soccer is up there at SCU. Maybe I'll take a CalTrain up to SF as well to do some easy touristing. Who knows.
Is this sig thing on?
The following 4 users Like c172's post:
  • Gawdzilla Sama, Jenny, skyking, jerry mcmasters

Hit me up when you visit the NW.