Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Poll: Do you trust philosophy to answer those important religious questions?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No
62.50%
10 62.50%
Yes
18.75%
3 18.75%
Fuck all polls
18.75%
3 18.75%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philosophical Opinions

Philosophical Opinions
(06-01-2019, 09:50 AM)Phaedrus Wrote: Do you trust philosophy to answer the Big Questions on religious matters?

Yes.  

I just don’t trust that the answers will be useful.  Or correct.
god, ugh
The following 2 users Like julep's post:
  • Alan V, skyking

Philosophical Opinions
(06-06-2019, 12:27 AM)Red Belt Wrote: No. I don't know much about philosophy. Never cared to get into it. And i don't pay much attention to religious matters.  So i wouldn't know what the big questions are. Perhaps i would see them as small. The only big questions for me, is whether to continue existing or not? And how do i wish to spend the remainder of my time on earth?

I understand. In a sense, one can dispense with an awful lot of philosophical inquiry by answering the question, "what is the meaning of life", with "it has no intrinsic / inherent meaning whatsoever". Since a lot of philosophy is wrapped up in questions of meaning, the simple understanding that all meaning is personal and found and "up to you", clears a lot of the fog.

On the other hand, some degree of "thought about thought" is necessary if you're going to develop a working epistemology. The world has run too long on a non-working epistemology known as "religious faith". You know, the epistemology that says a benevolent interventionist god exists, who condemns you for "sinning" and has this baroque plan to save you from his own condemnation. The one that says this god will bless the righteous, confound the wicked, answer prayer, etc. THAT epistemology.
The following 1 user Likes mordant's post:
  • Inkubus

Philosophical Opinions
(06-01-2019, 02:25 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 02:21 PM)Dancefortwo Wrote: I have a philosophical question.  When you have a degree in philosophy, who employs you?   Undecided

I think it's usually universities, to be professors.

To teach others who can actually do nothing to teach others who can do nothing.
The following 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post:
  • SYZ, skyking

Philosophical Opinions
I don't think philosophy is bad i enjoy some of the questions but i don't feel like it's something i'd agree with or disagree with? if that makes sense? 
It really depends on what it is saying...or what it is about.

Philosophical Opinions
(06-09-2019, 08:44 AM)TristanJ Wrote: I don't think philosophy is bad i enjoy some of the questions but i don't feel like it's something I'd agree with or disagree with? if that makes sense? 
It really depends on what it is saying...or what it is about.

I'd agree that it's not necessarily a bad thing, more a useless thing. That taxpayers' money is being wasted on
so-called professors in the halls of academia pisses me off though. Big dollars for zero return.

A major university local to me actually has three professors of philosophy in Religious Studies. A triple wankfest.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.

Philosophical Opinions
The question is loaded. I trust philosophy to answer important questions but I don't think that there are any important religious questions.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • jerry mcmasters

Philosophical Opinions
Folks,

Everyone has a philosophy, including those that say they haven't, because that's their philosophy.

I learned this at uni, where I was studying...….philosophy. Nod Shake

D.
The following 2 users Like Dworkin's post:
  • Alan V, EvieTheAvocado

Philosophical Opinions
(06-11-2019, 08:04 PM)Dworkin Wrote: Folks,

Everyone has a philosophy, including those that say they haven't, because that's their philosophy.

I learned this at uni, where I was studying...….philosophy. Nod Shake

D.

Yes.

But it certainly doesn't follow from that that philosophy can answer important religious questions. It's not that philosophy is unable to do the job. It's that there are no important religious questions.
My Argument Against Free Will Wrote:(1) Ultimately, to control your actions you have to originate your original nature.

(2) But you can't originate your original nature—it's already there.

(3) So, ultimately, you can't control your actions.
The following 1 user Likes EvieTheAvocado's post:
  • Dworkin

Philosophical Opinions
When life gives you lemons, shut the fuck up and suck that lemon.

It's going to leave a sour taste in your mouth.
Don't mistake me for those nice folks from Give-A-Shit county.

Philosophical Opinions
I don't trust philosophy to answer anything. Philosophy won't do anything but clarify the issue for you. Nothing more, nothing less. If clarity is not your thing, confusion is an available option.