Welcome to Atheist Discussion, a new community created by former members of The Thinking Atheist forum.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally opening up about abortion on this forum

(05-24-2019, 06:31 PM)jerryg Wrote: Out of curiosity, where do people come down on the mother drinking/drugging during her pregnancy?  Is that still a my body my choice situation?

I dare speculate that a happy woman, looking forward to a child she longs for, is less likely to do things that harm the embryo than a woman who is forced to incubate, be that by law or culture or whatever.
[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
The following 6 users Like Dom's post:
  • SYZ, Thumpalumpacus, Aroura, brewerb, Fireball, mordant

(05-24-2019, 09:46 PM)Dom Wrote:
(05-24-2019, 06:31 PM)jerryg Wrote: Out of curiosity, where do people come down on the mother drinking/drugging during her pregnancy?  Is that still a my body my choice situation?

I dare speculate that a happy woman, looking forward to a child she longs for, is less likely to do things that harm the embryo than a woman who is forced to incubate, be that by law or culture or whatever.

That's not really the question I asked though.  I'm pro choice.  We agree abortion is our friend.  

I'm just curious about rationalizing the my body my choice and the lack of fetus rights with the woman being able to break the fetus' brain.  It's just a little awkward ethically speaking, I thought, combining the two ideas.  Not making an anti-abortion case, just curious how people deal with that idea.

(05-22-2019, 02:55 PM)SteveII Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 04:18 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: People keep going on about the rights of the mother and the rights of the fetus. While important, those arguments ignore the single most important thing about the abortion argument...

As a matter of fact, you do. Your "single most important thing" could apply to an infant, toddler, and even beyond. Should we contemplate the right to kill them?

This is probably one of the silliest comments I've seen on this thread. For someone to even say this
sort of thing—apparently in all seriousness—indicates a stunted mind and a total absence of any logic.
I'm a creationist;   I believe that man created God.
The following 1 user Likes SYZ's post:
  • TheGentlemanBastard

(05-25-2019, 08:25 AM)SYZ Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 02:55 PM)SteveII Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 04:18 AM)TheGentlemanBastard Wrote: People keep going on about the rights of the mother and the rights of the fetus. While important, those arguments ignore the single most important thing about the abortion argument...

As a matter of fact, you do. Your "single most important thing" could apply to an infant, toddler, and even beyond. Should we contemplate the right to kill them?

This is probably one of the silliest comments I've seen on this thread.  For someone to even say this
sort of thing—apparently in all seriousness—indicates a stunted mind and a total absence of any logic.

It's too bad that Stevie won't be back to this thread to defend his views. But, I dropped a couple f-bombs on him and in his sad little mind that's less civil than misrepresenting others arguments to better suit his narrative. [Image: Eye_Roll.gif]

Not to worry, though. He's infected other threads with his arrogant condescension, poor logic, and bad use of outdated science.

I find it especially funny, and hypocritical, that he wants to stretch the definition of murder to cover zygotes in the womb but cry's like a butt-hurt school-girl stood up by her prom date when anyone wants to include same sex couples in the definition of marriage.
[Image: Bastard-Signature.jpg]

I think it was on Bill Maher's Real Time last week that he quoted someone as saying of abortion that it should be affordable, safe and rare.

Affordable, because no matter how one feels about it, it can't be more okay for the wealthy than for the poor.  Safe, because anyone who is pro-life shouldn't be eager for women to die needlessly.  Apparently, I think the conversation went, where the first two are true, abortion becomes more rare.  Too bad we can't be one of the smart countries.
"Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I'll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's. 
F. D.
The following 2 users Like Mark's post:
  • Deesse23, Fireball

(05-25-2019, 04:34 AM)jerryg Wrote:
(05-24-2019, 09:46 PM)Dom Wrote:

That's not really the question I asked though.  I'm pro choice.  We agree abortion is our friend.  

I'm just curious about rationalizing the my body my choice and the lack of fetus rights with the woman being able to break the fetus' brain.  It's just a little awkward ethically speaking, I thought, combining the two ideas.  Not making an anti-abortion case, just curious how people deal with that idea.

This answer is not directed at you in specific, Jerry, nor was the previous one. I am just quoting earlier posts so my comments don't look totally out of context. Sorry about that. These statements are not directed at anyone in specific.

Here goes: Why don't we just jail pregnant women until after they give birth. That way we know she won't abort or otherwise hurt an embryo. 
[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man

Don't give the republicunts any ideas, Dom.  They would so love to be more extreme than the Taliban at something.
Robert G. Ingersoll : “No man with a sense of humor ever founded a religion.”